PDA

View Full Version : Blender

Zach
08-06-2004, 08:06 PM
has anybody checked out the new release of blender?
Reminds me of the (i think) Matt Clary's XProject for lightwave interface. I tried to use it a couple years ago, but now it is starting to make more sense to me. Pretty bitchin'.

I think this little app might be able to take on the giants of 3D and end up being like what linux is to windows.

mrunion
08-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I used to use it all the time, but I haven;t used it since I got LW 1.5 years ago. I do like it, though. I have 2.33 installed and just finished downloaded 2.34. The game engine is back in 2.34 (I think) and particles will now do hair, etc. They even have a ray tracer project! It looks good!

None of this is meant as a bunk against LW, BTW.

Zach
08-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Agreed, LW is still my pic, but if I hadn't bought LW then I would be more hardcore considering not ever buying an app again. I'd just switch to Linux and use Blender, Jashaka and Corel PhotoPaint. Wouldn't that be the dogs bark.

Blender's got a pretty impressive toolset now a days, and I think that's pretty neat. I think if I was teaching Highschool or something I would get the kids to learn blender.

What's funny is I've been messing around with Blender for a couple hours now, and no crashes! The irony...

Zach
08-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Ok, I promise, this is the last thing I'll post about Blender in this thread...

Here's what some fiddling did with Blender and YafRay. YafRay is nice. It adds GI, RayTracing, HDRI etc.

http://www.zachtv.com/Blender/chocolateMan.jpg