PDA

View Full Version : Working on 400MGz

chemaelizondo
08-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi guys.
Currently Im worling with lightwave8 on a 400MHz Imac.

Overall things are good as long as I keep my models at a low polygon count, I was wondering how much of a difference would it be to change to a new iMac model and get, say a 1GHz iMac.

Of course is an ovbious answer ,but through my experience I've noticed that sometimes for certain applications the difference between Megaherts sometimes don't make such a big difference.

I wonder if the investment is worth it.
Or should I keep going with my current Mac for a bit longer until Macs evolve into a new generation.

Maybe until the iMac or its future equivalent comes with a G5 procesor?

Also is there too much diference between G4 and G5?

Thanks

JM

strongarm27
08-06-2004, 06:30 PM
I can't speak for the difference of Imacs as I
don't and haven't owned one but the difference
between a duel 1ghz g4 and a duel g5 is night
and day. A g5 is much more of a chip than the
g4. Many people see a huge speed up moving to
the g5. there has been some complaints about
the g4 in these forums and lightwave 8. The
chip was great for its day but its second level
chip now. If you can waite for a g5 Imac or get
any level of g5 I would do that than spend time
with g4. I have to say I loved my duel g4 but
times have moved on and the g5 fits my needs
better. You have to make sure you don't need
legacy apps though as they don't boot into os 9
only classic. You have to buy a g4 to get a duel
boot setup.

strongarm27

Nigel Baker
08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I have used LW on my imac, G4 and now my G5 and its good to update your hard ware. Only when you move will you realise that you should have done it earlier. The question has always been when to move but I see no better time now than ever and if you wait long enough you will never move. Just G5 it.

Ryhnio
08-08-2004, 05:40 PM
At the paris expo the new g5 imacs will be released- so if you can wait till early next month, I feel your decision will be an obvious one.

Ryhnio

Zarathustra
08-10-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure if your low ploy count is to make everything move faster on the screen, keep rendertimes low or both.
Obviously a faster machine will help all that, but a better graphics card can profoundly affect the movement on the screen so if you can, try and get a real system where you can have control of what graphics card you have. Even if you get a base model G5 (or find an older one on Ebay) you can then pop a better graphics card in there.
If you want to get more serious, I'd move on over to a tower. Save the imacs for rendering.