PDA

View Full Version : Deform tools that makes sense!!!

Matt
04-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Is it just me or does the bend tool make sod all sense????

Some tools aren't as bad as others but most really try to make
it difficult to acheive anything resembling what you want!!!

Newtek, please ask us how we would like these tools to work before
you impliment them, I can guarantee we won't agree!!!

(Posted after 20 mins of madness with the bend tool!!!!)

hrgiger
04-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Are you using falloff for the bend tool?

I agree that it's not the most intuitive tool, but it does work.

Mylenium
04-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi Matt,

Well, while they are not as bad as you make them sound in Modeler, they surely should do something about animatable deformations in Layout - they are neither very user friendly nor fast. I think the new spline deformer in 7.5b points in the right direction - just make it more customisable and independent from the host object (for affecting multiple objects at a time). As for Modeler - the problem is that you never can tell where your points will move, 'cos Modeler does not make a difference between local/ parent/ world coordinates like Layout - but heh, it would mean they had to make it more object oriented and without a major code re-write this would be impossible.

Mylenium

faulknermano
04-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Is it just me or does the bend tool make sod all sense????

Some tools aren't as bad as others but most really try to make
it difficult to acheive anything resembling what you want!!!

Newtek, please ask us how we would like these tools to work before
you impliment them, I can guarantee we won't agree!!!

(Posted after 20 mins of madness with the bend tool!!!!)

are you talking about the one in layout or modeler? personally i like the bend tool for certain things. it makes sense for certain things, especially when you have to bend something in a predictable (e.g. CAD-like) manner. for all other bending needs, i'd go with Spline Guide.. you cant go wrong with that plug. the best!

if you're talking about layout, then i agree. but i think you should do yourself a favor though and try fi_1bezierbend. again you cant go wrong with that fantastic plug.

Matt
04-02-2003, 10:04 AM
was talking about the modeller "tools"

maybe it's me, but I can see how soooooooo much easier they
could be!

faulknermano
04-02-2003, 08:09 PM
well, i'd agree with that. spline guide, could also use some improvements as well, as being able to set its 'rest positions'.