PDA

View Full Version : VT-edit w/o VT card

samo_fizo
08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
I have VT[3] installed on my machine at work. I'm very pleased with it and I find working in VT-edit to be much faster than working in Avid or Premier.
But I have one problem. There is much work that I can do at home on my home computer but I am unable to install VT[3] software package (or only VT-edit) on my machine at home because I don't have a VT[3] card in it.
Is there some kind of software emulation of VT card that I can install to be able to work in TV-edit and Aura at home?

ScorpioProd
08-06-2004, 01:46 PM
No.

Many of us have requested an unbundling of VT-Edit for such uses, but it so far has been declined as an option by Newtek.

sbrandt
08-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Samo,

Do what I did.
Go to your employer and say, "I can give the company between two and four extra hours of work each night and probably more on most weekends for free if you'll provide a home work-station for me. That's time you normally have to pay time and a half for."

In my case it was to do the company's printed graphic work and the Toaster was already mine for my own side work (that they utimately benefited from too).
But in your case if you do a lot of video let them supply the VT.

After about six months they saw that working at home benefited the company and the company let me have the computer as a bonus.

If your home computer will handle it, just ask for the VT.

Jim_C
08-06-2004, 03:56 PM
LOL, nice sbrandt, that is the exact same thing I did.

Except I bought the PC parts myself over a period of time and assembled it just for the T.

The only problem I encountered was that I got too fast at creating certain things with the T and the boss was asking too much of at home work.
So we put a price on the Toaster card, I kept track of my hours at home working for free and now that the T card is paid off, if he wants extra work from me at home he has to add it to the time card.

ahhh yes, working the system
:cool:

Jim

samo_fizo
08-06-2004, 04:11 PM
:)
hmm, that is one way to handle this situation, I will try to talk to my
boss about the second toaster.
TNX everyone!

sbrandt
08-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Don't talk to him about "a second Toaster".

Talk to him about "extra hours", "more production, even on weekends" and "getting time and a half work" ...all for FREE."

And since he already knows what the Toaster will do, you don't have to worry about dogging it on the home system, to keep from looking too slow on your regular shift like Jimbo.

Focus on how the company benefits. The big dualie box they got me for the VT isn't the only thing I educated them about!

Among other somewhat lessor things, I also did a little half page break down (that took me about twenty minutes to figure out) of what they were paying a videographer every time they wanted to record and put a training workshop on video compared to what they could have if they let me shoot the seminars with my own camera.

A months worth of workshops paid for the video camera and we got far better footage, way sooner than the videographer got with his crummy JVC. AND we didn't have to pay extra, and take extra time, every time we needed to make some change. I now own a Canon XL1s outright. All I had to do was be there when the company needed it.

Show 'em how they can benefit... It works!

Jim_C
08-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by sbrandt
And since he already knows what the Toaster will do, you don't have to worry about dogging it on the home system, to keep from looking too slow on your regular shift like Jimbo.

I can assure you sir, 'Dogging It' and 'Looking too slow' are words never to be associated with my work ethic or production.

If you inferred that from anything in my post, I apologize for my misleading, but you are wrong.

OK.. cleared that up.

:mad:
:confused:
:rolleyes:
:D
;)

Jim

sbrandt
08-07-2004, 01:09 PM
I guess I didn't read it close enough.
A couple of months ago there was another thread that touched on this subject, and I seem to have recalled someone saying, they had to slow down on the Toaster home work because it was making the work they did on the company's equipment look bad and they were afraid the boss would just think they weren't doing their best on their regular shift. I connected the jist of what you said with that comment. (I think the company system was one of the Pinnacle Liquids or Avid or something, and there was no chance they would ever change over to VT. Maybe I saw it on a DV Camcorder Forum...) Anyway, sorry 'bout that.

Jim_C
08-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Ahhh gotcha, no worries.
I was just having fun with it anyway...

:rolleyes:

I use a T3 at work also, but that is a good story.

Jim

ps.. and actually I am dogging it a little today...

:D