PDA

View Full Version : For Dan Ablan, proton, etc regarding LW magazines....

archiea
08-05-2004, 11:03 PM
hey gang...

Relating to my other thread regarding the continuing evolution of the Magazing Formerly Known As Keyframe, I wanted to post perhaps an unusal suggestion....

I just came from a watercolor class sponsered by my job. In hearing Dan discuss in the other thread the realities and pitfalls of magazing production in a niche market, it just kind of hit me....

What is missing in alot of these magazines is, well, art. Don;t get me wrong, there is PLENTY of practical information, tips, techniques, even editorials regarding our biz, getting a job... But what missing is the more abstract...stuff that teaches us to see color in shadows, to define compositions in what we look at, to translate what we see into volumes on 2D paper/screen....

So imagine that there was a section in one of these 3D mags called Anything Analog.. Basically, there was nothing Digital, it didn;t even use a computer... but was still applicable...

I think that teaching people traditional art helps digital artist think outside the box.

I just have had the experience of lighting in 3D using these color keys that were just splashes of colors. there was NO WAY that I would be so bold with just the computer screen. Having that reference forced me to pump alot of color into everything...there was vurtually no "white" light or "black" shadow...

Some possible topics may be....

1) landscape painting for composition... this is where the author shows us a photograph of a scene, and then he shows us the sketch of it on the canvass...reporportioned and/or repositioned to better fit the canvas. This illustrates how one should not tie themselves to what they see literally. Also, it teahes certain rules of composition should you undertake a scene in LW from scratch w/o any live action or photographs.

2) part two of this article would concentrate on the actual painting. I like to use photographs taken with special high saturation slide film. This puts near artificial color in everyting...highlights, shadows, etc... This would demonstrate what "color" highlights and shadows are... how to interpret color, detail, etc from reality to the abstract... Texture painters, matte painters (obviously) and modelers could benefit from this...

3) Figure drawing for animators... the first step of this article would show how to break up what you see in life or in a photograph into shapes and volumes. This would help teach how to break down a coplex shape into its componets. Furthermore, if its a figure or an animal, it also teaches to observe for the weight distribution, how a character leans, etc. This would help trememdously in posing your character, especially if its just standing around! Gesture drawing is great... it where you just have minutes if not just seconds to draw the pose of your character!!! I've seen people crank out the posture of the figure with just a hadn full of lines, then later flash it out w/o the model present!!! So imagine taking that gesture sketch and drawing on your monitor with a whiteboard marker, and then posing your character to that gesture. Sounds very academic, but like I said, its the abstract, not just the buttons...

4) Lighting. The author takes the above and paints a scene... can be as simple as a character in a room... pointis that you are painting it... your source can be a photograph, but you just have to do a painting of it to "reinterpret" the color, composition, etc.. basically the above topics. So you have your painting of, say, Proton's character in a window with warm light streaking in, purple shadows, cool bounce from a blue wall... etc... Now create that scene in LW (using the techniques above from compositon, gesture drawing/modeling, etc..) and light it. Match the color cues from your painting ...be your own art director. Again, its dealing with the abstract to help Digital artist think outside the limits of the software...

5) you wanna go nuts now? have a lesson on how to edit shaders/surfaces to get things to look like watercolor, pencil, etc...

Dan pointed out the realities of magazine production, where reviewing software and gear effectively serves as advertising, thus the econimics of magazine production. However this would be SUCH a refreshing change from the shelves of digital magazines out there...

People were concerned about material not focusing on LW. Dan points out that we should expand our horizons... see other techniques. Well, this is a platform and software agnostic proposition that is applicable to any package or computer. More importantly, it challenges us to be better artist. heck,even if you do flying logos, just paint it first.. see what you come up with... Then force yourself to match it.. don;t settle for LW defaults in grads, light falloffs, cameras, etc...

Just my 2 pesos....

Hervé
08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Fact is... the book or magezine you're talking here could apply to a lot of things, even traditional paintings.... and if you need inspiration, there is -EXPOSé-....

Note I was on my way to buy that expose book, but I thought.... no.

On the other hand I am waiting the first 3D Museum (not virtual) in real concrete.:D

Nice post Archiea

PS. dont know if you remember 3D Garage, but I used to watch "attention to detail" every day a new one.... that was cool....

riki
08-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
PS. dont know if you remember 3D Garage, but I used to watch "attention to detail" every day a new one.... that was cool....

DVGarage Ya Dag :D

Hervé
08-06-2004, 02:13 AM
true.... ahhhh stupid me... thanks for correcting Riki....;)