PDA

View Full Version : Resize me

MiniFireDragon
04-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Ok folks, I got a question for you:

I recently created an animation using lightwave at a size of 800x600. Why I did this knowing I was going to video with it slips my mind, maybe I thought I wasn't going to have the trouble I am now. What I want to do is take my 800x600 and turn it into 720x480 by cropping the image, BUT! I need to be able to change the location of the crop over time, well, mainly in the opening sequences of the animation. It would be nice to use the resize project feature, but it doesn't center the resize!!!!! And when I created the animation I set it up so all the useless info was on the edge and can be lost.

ANyone got a solution?

Thanks!

Norman
04-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Load your animation as an animbrush and use the keyframer to change the cropping area as needed.

MiniFireDragon
04-01-2003, 09:42 AM
I thought about keyframing the crop tool, but it doesn't seem to want to be keyframed. Or are u saying set the window to 720x480 and simply move the brush around as I need it??

Norman
04-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Yes, that's the reason for loading the animation as an animbrush.

SBowie
04-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by MiniFireDragon

It would be nice to use the resize project feature, but it doesn't center the resize!!!!! Sure it does - in Modify Project, select the Stretch button. You don't even need to preload the file for this to work.

paulfierlinger
04-01-2003, 04:51 PM
But that will resize his picture; he wants just a cropped image.
Paul F

MiniFireDragon
04-01-2003, 09:05 PM
I actually remembered why I did it at 800x600. :) I figured it was a nice size to send via computer and also, pretty easy to reduce to 720x480 by resizing the to 720x540 then crop 30 lines off the top and the bottom, which isn't all that bad. I still havn't got to try the animbrush (actually I looked at it and scrathed my head).

So thanks for your help!! It has been very welcome and now i have different ways to complete a project.

paulfierlinger
04-02-2003, 04:03 AM
So what aspect ratio are you using?
Paul F.

MiniFireDragon
04-02-2003, 09:01 AM
I am using 800x600 for computer to computer viewing (emailed demos) and 720x480 to be put to DVD and Video. Of course the 720x480 is slightly cropped.

SBowie
04-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by paulfierlinger
But that will resize his picture; he wants just a cropped image.
Paul F Actually, reading the thread, the desire seems to be to do several things, maybe simultaneously, maybe not.

I quoted the bit that said "It would be nice to use the resize project feature, but it doesn't center the resize", and that is the part I responded to. That's a simple scaling operation, no need to expend time and RAM on an animbrush. If the desire is to scale and crop simutaneously, there's no one-step solution to that, but again, that can be done without pre-loading or an animbrush.

There was also mention of a wish to animate the crop positioning - that can't be done directly, and an animbrush solution doesn't deal with that need either ... well, it sort of does, in a manual kind of way. Any way, some useful suggestions have been made; I was merely commenting on the one little aspect. Sorry.

MiniFireDragon
04-02-2003, 03:03 PM
My wording was incorrect. :) Instead I should have said the Modify Project feature. Yes the stretch does work, but not the crop. It was the cropping I was actually complaining about not cropping on center or allowing you to choose how it should be cropped.

SBowie
04-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by MiniFireDragon
My wording was incorrect. :) Instead I should have said the Modify Project feature. Yes the stretch does work, but not the crop. It was the cropping I was actually complaining about not cropping on center or allowing you to choose how it should be cropped. Well, when you use "Modify Project" to 'crop,' you're correct - when you do that with Stretch off, you just get the resolution you asked for, with the imagery from 0,0 to wherever, cutting off the right and lower margin according to your settings...

But, if you use the Crop tool to crop (makes sense, right?), you can center and size it however you like. But not animate the location of the crop.