PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Markers In Vt Edit

TRCC
08-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Is there a way to render a project from VTedit with DVD chapter markers? With what program would be best to make DVD's?

ScorpioProd
08-05-2004, 09:19 PM
As far as I know not as a rendered clip, BUT if you are using the AVI Wrapper, then project markers will appear as chapter points in SOME DVD authoring programs.

I don't know which programs though, all I do know is that my authoring program, DVD Workshop does not support this very useful feature. :(

mgrusin
08-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I know that DVD-Lab (maybe others?) is able to import chapters from a text file with the simple format:

hh:mm:ss:fff
hh:mm:ss:fff...

(where fff is the fractional second). Maybe a script could be written to output such a text file?

-MG.

TRCC
08-06-2004, 11:47 AM
im pretty new to VT how do i use the avi wrapper? Ive heard the term many times but am not quite sure how or what it is.

Jim_C
08-06-2004, 12:11 PM
When you save a project from save as under File menu, choose .AVI.
It saves the file with an avi extension which is useable in most programs that accept avi's.

It is not actually a full avi file.It will be rather small. It is just referencing your footage or wrapping the project or something, but the important thing is to not move or delete any source footage that makes up the project or the avi wrapper is useless.

Different from rendering the whole project to a full big avi file.

Hope that helped

Jim

TRCC
08-06-2004, 12:12 PM
is it full quality? or is there loss?

thanks for the imput

ScorpioProd
08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Full quality.

pnelson
08-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Eugene,

Does the Markers to Chapters trick work with DVD Workshop?

See Ya,

ScorpioProd
08-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately, nope. Unless there's some magic I don't know about.

Bobt
08-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Can someone send me an example of this?

hh:mm:ss:fff...

I can certainly qrite code to export markers to do this.
If someone is willing to cough up $$ to buy it.
So
1) I need an example,
2) I need people willing to pay $75 for this.
I go through dealers now so remember they get a chunk
of that.

Bob

RayLarson
08-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Add me to the list of customers...if I could do this in DVD Workshop I'd save a ton of time.

Bobt
08-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks Ray,
Anyone else want to save time?
I can have this ready by the end of the weekend.
You use markers on the project hit a keystroke somewhere
and I do the magic export of a text file to your disk.
The text file would be in the format required so DVDLabs
could use it.

Bob

RayLarson
08-10-2004, 09:20 AM
That would be DVD Workshop...right?? Be wonderful if it were that easy. I envision being able to place markers at chapter points on the VT3 timeline then have TMpeg render the mpeg2 file and have DVD Workshop recognize the chapter points automatically.

Are we on the same page??

Jim_C
08-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by RayLarson
That would be DVD Workshop...right?? Be wonderful if it were that easy. I envision being able to place markers at chapter points on the VT3 timeline then have TMpeg render the mpeg2 file and have DVD Workshop recognize the chapter points automatically.

Are we on the same page??

I think it's
-Place your markers in Ted.
-Hit button to export text file of those markers' placement
-Import that text file into DVD program of choice.

I think....

If that is the case Bob, I would be interested but to be honest $75 seems a bit high for that purpose for me.

just my opinion, sorry

Jim

ps... loving the complete effects disk I got form you a couple months back, unfortunately my raid is down to 2 drives so I have not been able to have fun with multi cam like I wish I could.

RayLarson
08-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Now I see. Yes, I do agree...$75 is a little high. What I have been doing is locating my chapter points in VT3 timeline. Writing the TC down and after I pull the mpeg2 into DVD workshop I just type in those points and set chapters in the DVD program. It's a bit cumbersome but has been working very well.

mgrusin
08-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Just to be clear, the above file format works with DVD-Lab. I don't use DVD-Workshop, so I don't know if it supports chapter import/export, and if it does, whether it uses the same file format or not. Someone experienced with DVD-Workshop should check (a quick trip through the menus should suffice, and if you find it, exporting some chapter marks will give you a file to look at).

Bob, I'll send you an example file with that format. I'll respectfully add that although I greatly appreciate your programming skills and especially the time you must have spent figuring out the mysteries of VT's internals, chapter export isn't critical enough to me personally to spend $75 on it. :( But this does seem like it might be a good candidate for a collection of smaller plugins, kind of like Worley Labs does with "Polk", "Taft", etc.

-MG.

Bobt
08-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Guess I can throw it into my negative effect filter bin.
Which sits on a shelf due to lack of intrest.

Got lots to do so if its not worth much to folks I have no
need to make it happen.

Me, busy on enough other stuff but I can be distracted by
money which can be made quickly.

Bob

mgrusin
08-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Amen, brother! ;)

-MG.

ScorpioProd
08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Just to clarify for those that apparently didn't read the whole thread, since I already said this TWICE in this thread, DVD Workshop does NOT support bringing in markers as chapter points.

What Bob has suggested is cool IF your program supports it, but if not, it's the convienience of having the TC in a text file instead of writing it by hand, but that's it.

wvp
08-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Don't know what kind of time it would take you Bob, and I don't want to degrade your value...
But it seems what you are proposing would be pretty simple to create. Since I also use DVD Workshop, it would not be all that helpful, but I would pay $20 to have a nice neat list that I could print out.
Perhaps @ $20 you could get enough people to buy to make a few dollars. Again, sorry if it sounds like an insult - I guess I'm thinking in terms of some of these shareware programs people sell for $5-20 bucks.

On a seperate note - does anyone know when the upgrade to Multicam will be ready? I've got V1, but would like to get the upgrade when ready.

Bobt
08-11-2004, 07:54 AM
No problem, its not worth the effort at $20.
Rather do other things I enjoy.

Bob

Bobt
08-11-2004, 07:56 AM
>On a seperate note - does anyone know when the upgrade to >Multicam will be ready? I've got V1, but would like to get the >upgrade when ready.

Opps didnt see this part.
The upgrade is ready just not distributed.

Bob

PIZAZZ
08-11-2004, 07:58 AM
In our production division, I have paid 10 times $75 to employees to input chapter points in DVD Workshop. Of course there are those times also that the MPEG file is too large or you find a mistake.... then you have to redo those chapter points all over again. Wasted Days and Wasted Nights...

Maybe for the single user company or the editor that is getting paid by the hour they would want to sit there and deal with DVD Workshop inputing chapter points. For me as a owner trying to make money and be productive, this plugin would be worth every bit of $75 if not $100. Yes we charge $200/hour for editing so billed time is money made. The client would sure be happier though getting the project that much quicker. VT already is one of the fastest systems to edit with. The DVD process is our holdup with delivering projects quickly.

(the other side of the coin) :)

wvp
08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Keep in mind Jef, that Bob's plug-in would (at least for DVD workshop) only provide a list of timecodes for the chapter points. You would still have to input them manually into Workshop.
So if you have your people create the chapter points & jot them down not a piece of paper, but on in a word doc, you are set.

PIZAZZ
08-11-2004, 07:10 PM
That is what they are doing. What a complete waste of time for 40 chapter points... If it just could take the markers life would be much easier.