Also have a 2.8 P4 no HT
both have 512 megs ram

3 GHz has Dual Channel ram DDR400
2.8 doesn't with DDR 333

2.8GHz has dual monitors
3 GHz has 3 monitors

I have LW8 and the VT2
Running Win 2000 Pro SP4

Right now LW8 and the VT on the 2.8 compy and want to seperate them so I can work on something when the other program is tied up.

Which one would see the best benifit from which compy as each one will be dedicated to just that program, with all other programs going on another compy so they don't intefere with with LW8 or the VT.

Silkrooster
08-05-2004, 09:36 PM
I am guessing here, but I think that LW8 would benefit more. As most special FX's are done with the on board processor of the VT.
The size of the hard drive may make a difference in what you choose as well. I would want the larger hard drive on the VT.
I guess it boils down to what do you do the most work in? What about getting a second license for the other computer? Would that make sence? LW and VT go hand in hand, but working on one while the other is rendering. . .
Oh, what tough decisions;)
Silkrooster

prospector
08-06-2004, 12:09 AM
The drives and DVD and CDRW are going to stay and the DVD will go to the LW compy as it inteferes with the VT have a 480 gig raid for the VT so that's no problem.

But LW likes the HT on a CPU but the VT may run better with the dual channel ram.

there will be only 200 MHz difference in speed so that's pretty even.
and 1 will stay there.

So would I see a bigger jump in speed of the VT by using the dual channel ram (don't know if it takes advantage of HT) or do I see a bigger increase in speed in LW using the HT (don't know if it take advantage of the dual channel ram), compared to what I have now (both in the 2.8 GHz compy).

But then I read somewhere that the HT on the CPU won't work if I don't have Win XP.

Silkrooster
08-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Maybe what you should do is put both VT and LW on the new system and do some benchmark tests. I would think LW8 being newer than VT2 that it should take advantage of the latest technologies. If you do benchmark test, post back here and let us know what you find.
Does Windows 2000 give you unlimited file size? I was wondering because that was one of the main reasons I upgraded to windows XP. Windows 98 had way to small of a file size. Made it difficult just editing home movies. I was just curious if the file size was carried over from the NT line or it was something new.
Silkrooster

prospector
08-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Haven't hit any limits on anything.
Can load a 2hr video (tho it takes awhile;) )
Never made it in Aura (takes way too long and not that much patience:o

Yea I might do the tests.
TMPge conversion test with and without Dual Channel Ram
LW with and without HT on

Got case in yesterday (those glowy ones), CPU due in today, rest due in monday according to tracking numbers.

Silkrooster
08-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Sounds like it will be a sweet system when you have it all built. I know I need to upgrade soon. I am still using a P4 1.6GHz CPU, I don't dare render to complicated of a scene, not to mention animations. I would love a system that could handle Highdef animations. Oh, I guess I will have to keep dreaming for awhile.