PDA

View Full Version : cubic texture mapping

neilp
08-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Which parameter dictates which face of the cube is the top when cubic mapping?

I am trying to use a single image of roof tiles to map around a roof with various sloping faces. However all faces should have tiles aligned in correct horizontal courses, rather like the blocks on a pyramid.

I thought cubic mapping would be ideal but it seems to treat one of the faces as if it were the top of the cube and the image is not correctly aligned.

Please advise..

faulknermano
08-05-2004, 03:35 AM
i'd initally suggest using planar mapping to have better control. but if you want to use cubic mapping, you can always use the rotation parameter (at the bottom part of the texture editor) to get your projection aligned. you can use a texture reference object as well.

neilp
08-05-2004, 04:08 AM
ideally i would like to use one surface style to map over ALL of the roof surface planes....is this possible?

faulknermano
08-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by neilp
ideally i would like to use one surface style to map over ALL of the roof surface planes....is this possible?

of course. but with cubic mapping you do get limitations how the image map ends at the edges. alternately, you can use UV maps to globally change the tiles. but you would have to create the UVs first before you start duplicating the roof tiles, so that you carry the UV info along with duplication.

Dodgy
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
If the tiles are just squares, you can use the 'New quad Polygon map' command. You may then have to rotate or flip some poly's uvs but it gives you a headstart.