PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Space

TheMinnesotaGuy
08-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I have 6 (75 Gig) hard drives for video storage. I am downloading Sony DVCam onto the hard drives. I have 2 hours on already and have 41 GB of space used up. Is this normal?? I was told that one 75GB hard drives would hold one hour of digital video. Can anyone explain this to me? Do I have mine set at a wrong setting which would reduce the quality of the video?

Thanks,
Jim at Video On Q Productions

ted
08-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Jim, I think the 1-hour per 75 gigs you refer to is for uncompressed .rtv's. DV is much smaller.

I always count on 1 gig per minute for .rtv footage. It isn't exact, but a good guide when assessing a projects need.

art
08-04-2004, 06:56 AM
I agree, it must be because the video on the harddrive is uncompressed. My JVC camcorder is giving me similiar results.
I don't remember exact numbers because it's been a while since I used my camcorder for transfering video, but 10 or so minutes of video was taking double-digit number of GB on my harddrive, which would agree with the estimate that Ted has given.

meshmaster
08-05-2004, 12:14 PM
I have recorded stuff from a vhs tape via an ati all-in-wonder card and the bitrate made all the difference in the world in how much space was getting eaten... ALSO, when you go to compress, you need to know that some dvd players will play back different bitrate speeds at different quality... for instance if I go too high on my playback before recording to dvd it will cause the playstation 2 and dvd player on the comupter to look ok, just a jump spot here and there, but on older dvd player in the front room, it'll go in about 10 minutes or so and just freeze on one frame and lock up til I turn off the machine or unplug it...

meshmaster
08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
for the future... you may want to look in to a massive storage space like http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10129 instead of a whole lot of little 75 gigers...

Martin Adams
08-08-2004, 01:24 PM
I use the DV PAL codec when importing digital video from my PAL miniDV camera (25fps).

I find this usually takes up 12GB for about an hour using the DV Pal codec. Natually uncompressed and you are talking about 140GB for 1 hour at 720x576 size, 25 fps as AVI full frame uncompressed for something like TGA.

As for quality goes, DV PAL has been fine for me so far. Nothing really noticable even going to DVD in most cases.

What I use is a 120GB hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure kit. Its great for portability as well. Remember to keep it defragged and if you are doing a lot of video processing (e.g. effect in Digital Fusion) then you may want to do that on an internal IDE as the difference is quite noticable.

druitre
08-22-2004, 11:25 AM
yup, rule of thumb and easy to remember is = 5 min. DV takes 1 Gig. Nature of DVcodec is that it doesn't matter what is actually in the movie you're transferring. (with most codecs, the more motion in your movie, the bigger the datasize)