PDA

View Full Version : FireWire problems

Matt Drabick
08-03-2004, 07:15 AM
I am writing this from memory at home. May make a few mistakes. . . .

I built a Windows XP Pro dual P4 XEON 2.8GHz system for a university . . . includes VT3, SX-8, RS-8 and genlock card. DirectX 9 (don't remember if B or C, etc), 2GB of RAM, five 36GB SCSI drives as a RAID-o array, VT[3] software 4909. Also installed Ulead DVD Workshop 2, Serious Magic Ultra, Sony Sound Forge, TMPGenc 2.5, system has Pioneer DVR-107 DVD burner. Mobo is SuperMicro X5DA8. Except for the third party ULead, Serious Magic and Sony software, this is a very standard system for me that I have built many times before without any problems.

System has a FireWire card in the 32-bit PCI slot next to the AGP slot (video card is a dual Nvidia FX5200). Toaster is in the other 32-bit PCI slot. Have an external Lacie 250GB Firewire drive connected to the FireWire card, properly formatted and working with the VT3.

System works fine with analog video. . . can capture video to the SCSI array, live switch using composite, Y/C and YUV inputs, etc. All of the VT[3] software modules open and close and work properly. Built up a editing project VTEdit, plays back fine. Can play two DDRs at the switcher with no stuttering.

The problem starts when I connect a DV VCR or camcorder. With everything connected and powered up, the PC loads Windows and arrives at the desktop with no problems. Windows at the desktop finds new DV device and I tell it to take no action. When I launch VT3, as the Toaster software is loading, a gray Windows-type window pops up, very plain looking, and has a path that says Microsoft DV camera or camcorder (I think, doing this from memory). I can't type anything in the path. Usually two of these windows open. If I close them quickly VT[3] will finish loading and Toaster will work ok most of the time. If I don't quickly close these windows thenVT[3] becomes unresponsive and I have to use Task Manager to shut down the Toaster.

If I close the windows quickly enough, VT[3] will usually run okay and will see the DV input as a source at the switcher. Once or twice the Toaster acted a bit flaky or unstable. One time when I shut down VT3 and relaunched, the video output from the Toaster was in black and white. Shut down and restarted and output was in color again.

Also noticed that the Toaster had problems writing to the external Lacie FireWire drive (it was trying to write video cache files to the drive before I changed the path to the SCSI array) saying there was a write delay error. But Toaster will read from the external FireWire drive and playback video clips via a DDR at the switcher just fine.

I don't want to deliver the system to my customer in this condition, even though it works just fine if you don't connect a DV camcorder or VCR. System works well and is stable when I don't connect a DV VCR or camcorder.

Disconnecting the external Lacie Firewire drive makes no difference. I have tried a different FireWire card . . . no difference. I put the Toaster in the first 64-bit slot and the Firewire in the next 32-bit slot, so there is a gap between the AGP slot and FireWire card, no difference. I tried connecting both a DV camcorder and a VCR, no difference.

Basically, there seems to be a problem with the Toaster and FireWire cards talking to each other?

Short of telling my customer not to use a DV camera or VCR with the Toaster, I need suggestions on what to try next. I was scheduled to deliver the system on Thursday. I would like to make that delivery on time.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
919-790-5488

PIZAZZ
08-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Matt we have ran across little firewire glitchs like this at times also. Check which drivers the firewire card is using. Also verify the chipset and make sure it is TI. Try to use the TI drivers if possible.

We had one of our demo systems that worked great then all of a sudden the firewire would disappear. Reboot and it would be there for a while and then go away again. Reformatted XP and never could really figure out why the problem occurred. We finally changed out the firewire card in one of the reformats and it seems to work better.

IF you haven't changed out the firewire card to a different manufacturer then I would suggest that. When you change it out though, I would also suggest reformatting the system drive and starting from zero. Yeah, I know... There goes another day.... Good luck!

Firewire ='s Voodoo Magic

sometimes at least
:D :D

SBowie
08-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Another possibility to gain a little more freedom to experiment is a 64bity DV card -- AFAIK, they do exist ... haven't found it necessary to hunt one up yet, but some mobos have a pretty lean 32bit slot count and the day seems to be approaching...

ScorpioProd
08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Pyro makes an AVID certified 64-bit PCI DV card.

Matt Drabick
08-04-2004, 09:26 AM
The solution was to try a third, and different, FireWire card. Everything is now working okay!

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC

Paul Lara
08-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Glad to hear it, Matt!

Blaine Holm
11-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Glad to hear it, Matt!
Matt,

I am trying to research a problem with FireWire cards and Vt[4], what chipsets and card models were causing the problem? and which one solved it?

RayLarson
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
It is looking like my Firewire card needs to be replaced. I have real issues with it. Sometimes my T4 timeline stutters and drags and as soon as I disconnect the firewire cable to my Panasonic DV2000 everything is fine. Strangely enough, my capture thru firewire is flawless. I have to find the original specs on the card and see if it is the TI chipset. I am using the TI drivers. I cannot use DV out at all. I am running dual 1.8 Zeons and some have said I need to upgrade the processors. Maybe after Jan 1 for tax purposes.

Blaine Holm
11-23-2004, 09:42 AM
It is looking like my Firewire card needs to be replaced. I have real issues with it. Sometimes my T4 timeline stutters and drags and as soon as I disconnect the firewire cable to my Panasonic DV2000 everything is fine. Strangely enough, my capture thru firewire is flawless. I have to find the original specs on the card and see if it is the TI chipset. I am using the TI drivers. I cannot use DV out at all. I am running dual 1.8 Zeons and some have said I need to upgrade the processors. Maybe after Jan 1 for tax purposes.

Try changing the driver to a Microsoft one, and I'd like to offer a card to you to try to see if it solves the problems you are having.

RayLarson
11-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks Blaine, I have also tried the Microsoft driver with the same problem. I ppreciate the offer but I am not confortable with installing it in my bread and butter machine

Norman
11-24-2004, 07:23 AM
According to Adobe, the TI driver must first be removed before the MS driver will work properly. They give instructions on how to do this and reasons for it at http://tinyurl.com/4dd6z .

Matt Drabick
11-24-2004, 08:33 AM
In answer to Blaine's question, the problem FireWire card, no surprise, was a VIA-chipset FireWire card. Used an NEC FireWire card and everything worked okay.

Matt Drabick

Jim Capillo
11-24-2004, 09:31 AM
In answer to Blaine's question, the problem FireWire card, no surprise, was a VIA-chipset FireWire card. Used an NEC FireWire card and everything worked okay.

Matt Drabick

I was up to Blaine's a few weeks ago for a couple of new hard drives and we swapped out my firewire card as well.

Chris caught it - he's pretty sharp...... :)

Rich Deustachio
11-24-2004, 11:01 AM
I just wanted to add my Firewire card to the list of ones that work well with VT4, the Adaptec FireConnect 4300. No problems with it so far and I have had it since VT3.

SBowie
11-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I just wanted to add my Firewire card to the list of ones that work well with VT4, the Adaptec FireConnect 4300. No problems with it so far and I have had it since VT3.I've been installing these ones with VTs for quite awhile, never a problem - it's a TI chipset card.

edwede
12-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I just wanted to add my Firewire card to the list of ones that work well with VT4, the Adaptec FireConnect 4300. No problems with it so far and I have had it since VT3.

Lets not be too hasty about the Fireconnect 4300. The card I used gave me some minor troubles (it is a lucent chipset) so I went out and got the fireconnect 4300. There is no TI logo and the chip reads agere(?). The toaster tape counter would alternate between 0:0:0 and the correct time and just plain would not work as far as hitting play, stop etc... Even DVapp totally didn't like it and poped up error messages all the time. So, I think adaptec uses different chipsets. I should have known when CompUSA had the thing on sale for 9.95 after rebate. (Anyone what two?) It's also odd how all the manufactures have clear plastic boxes but have paper over the area where you could see the chipset . :cool:

radams
12-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Well, I have now run into several problems with ASUS motherboards with TI chipsets....we get a flashing black that just happens...if you unplug and then replug in the firewire it sometimes helps...but we have had several issues with the onboard TI chipsets with ASUS...hey Blaine have you run into any issues on ASUS dual Xeon MB's??

They have been NIGHTMARES here...

We also get RTME can't find the hardware when we first install on a Asus MB...

Cheers,

Ray