PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen in LW [8] :S

G-Pjube
08-03-2004, 05:49 AM
I really don't know what this is, but i just got a new computer and i just installed lightwave, i thought to make a test render to see how fast it was going, but when it's going to display te complete image, the screen is all black, what is this problem?

Silkrooster
08-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Are you new to Lightwave? A couple of things come to mind
1) There are no lights in your scene
2) The lights are pointed the wrong direction
3) Your object is the same color as the background, Black
4) You have ambient light set to low (normally this is good, however for newbees, you can set this higher to see your objects with out the need of lights)
5) camera is pointed in wrong direction (Don't laugh, it could happen especially if the auto key is not turned on)

dhath45
08-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I was having the same problem. about a month I was rendering a huge scene using 8.0, 700,000 polysons up, and rendering it 5500x3100 pxls. I had the renderer setup to render 22 segments, with 32 mb memory allocated to segment rendering.
I currently have a dual processor xeon, with 2- 3.2 ghz xeon processors, and 2 gigs of ram. Every time I rendered an image, my render would come out totally black!I also tried unsucessfully, to use the bloom filter and wavefilter image(to add grain)with the render, both come standard with Lightwave; that totally crashed the program. I finally rendered the image successfully at a lower resolution, then used Photoshop to resize. I can only beleve it's some kind of memory problem, and the the render engine craps out when overloaded.

Silkrooster
08-04-2004, 10:22 PM
dhath45,
Sounds likes you have a sweet system. I envy you.;)

dhath45
08-04-2004, 11:01 PM
I built it to render large illustrations for major corporate clients. It may seem to have been a big investment. However, when my clients expect a certain level of performance- and are willing to pay for it, the expenditure is absolutely essential.
When the program's not so burdened, the renders just fly- I never saw frames render so fast. It's just when getting into scenes utilizing hundreds of thousands of polygons does it(and lightwave) bog down. Otherwise, it's just an amazing machine.

G-Pjube
08-06-2004, 10:54 AM
@Silk, i'm not new to lightwave, trust me. I still don't know what the problem is, but i tryed a scene from a CD, and the render came out black. I copyd it to my hard drive and modified it a bit in modeler.. and when i created a new scene it just worked. I still don't know what the problem is, but the scene and model was created in LW 7.5 and now i use 8.. but that can't be the problem right? niw the black screen is gone. Thnx for the help :)

Silkrooster
08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Here's an idea, what would happen if most if not all your polys were non-planer. I think that would also render incorrectly giving you black on black. As for a model from a CD doing the same thing, I guess I am baffeled. Perhaps a bug you uncovered.
If it is a poly thing, try tripling the object and see what the render is like.
Sorry if I made it sound like your a newbee, I just try to rule out the obvious first. Since I don't know what you are capable of I assume your a newbee. Atleast until you tell me otherwise. Next time your in a jam, let every one know how long you have been using LW, then everyone can ignore the obvious or try too anyways. Even the best will make an obvious mistake from time to time.