PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO THIS: where do i start?

richardnovak77
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
i want to create a plugin which creates landscapes by using a "brush" to create height maps, similar to terragen, vue d'esprit, etc, but it would happen right inside modeler.

i know i can do it. i just don't know where to start.

i did a small tutorial for l-script, where you choose a number and the computer tells you if you're right. it was pretty cool! but is l-script what i need to learn?

some people tell me to learn c++. that's fine, but is that what i need too? will c++ programming work with lightwave, or is there a better way? a faster way? something more specific to lightwave?

i'm just not sure where to start! i need a mentor.:mad:

thanks!

faulknermano
08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
let me tell you right off the bat that what you want to do cannot be acheived in modeler in any form symbolising sanity. :) that said, you may have to learn C and program direct from the SDK. go over to the lw-plugins yahoogroups. thats the place to be.

good luck.

J Martin
08-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Having said that, I too would like to make some Lscripts for modeler but on a much simpler basis. Actually, just macros. I know there's the Lscript Commander in Layout but is there an equivalent in Modeler. I don't think there is so how would I do this without programming?

Thanks!

faulknermano
08-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by J Martin
Having said that, I too would like to make some Lscripts for modeler but on a much simpler basis. Actually, just macros. I know there's the Lscript Commander in Layout but is there an equivalent in Modeler. I don't think there is so how would I do this without programming?

Thanks!

there is no equivalent. modeler scripts are relatively easy to do anyway. i highly recommend getting inside lightwave 6 or 7. they have good stuff on lscript (written by bob hood). scripting will take a lot of commitment on your part, just like any other thing in lw.

richardnovak77
08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
part of my issues is that i have no compiler for c++. i tried downloading borland's c++ builder and it wouldn't download.

l-scripts are "compiled" in lightwave itself, right? what's the difference between an l-script and a plugin? just how compliated they can be?

anyone have a link to the yahoo groups mentioned above? my search turned up nothing.

thanks!

faulknermano
08-04-2004, 01:53 AM
have a look here:

http://www.clandestine.com.au/dev.htm

there's a link to the bloodshed dev c++ compiler (free).

-scripts are "compiled" in lightwave itself, right? what's the difference between an l-script and a plugin? just how compliated they can be?

no they are not. scripts are interpretted by lightwave during run-time. they're just text files requiring no compiling for lw to understand (because lw compiles them internally during runtime). if you see an lscript being compiled, it is more of encryption.

a plugin, however, is a dynamic linked library that lw refers to execute custom functions / operations. you need to compile your plugin for lw to understand, since it communicates to it directly (no run-time translation). plugin-writing requires you study the language, and furthermore the overhead of other stuff that lscript writers dont need to worry about. in a word, it's rather more complicated than scripting. but there are many things you can do in plugins that you cant in lscript, simply because lscript doesnt full interpret everything available in the SDK.

Lynx3d
08-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by richardnovak77
l-scripts are "compiled" in lightwave itself, right? what's the difference between an l-script and a plugin? just how compliated they can be?

"Compiled" is not really applicable for LScript, AFAIK it's just about the opposite, it gets more or less encrypted in binary format so others can't extract your source code...

some people tell me to learn c++. that's fine, but is that what i need too? will c++ programming work with lightwave, or is there a better way? a faster way? something more specific to lightwave?

Yes, learning C is what you need to do. If it is plain C, C++ or objective C doesn't really matter. It's a question if you want to code object oriented or not (i don't, am to accustomed to plain old C) There is no "more specific (language) to lightwave", they all are high-level languages.
Well ok, there are phrases like "C: all the power of assembly language with all the ease-of-use of assembly language", or "With C it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot" ;)
(actually, they're both true...still, or just because of that, i like C)

anyone have a link to the yahoo groups mentioned above? my search turned up nothing.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/developer/index.html
but you better learn C before boring those guys with noob-questions unrelated to the SDK/LW.

Writing a realtime heightmap displacer may be possible, but i'm pretty sure it will neither be easier than nor match the performance of a standalone program.