PDA

View Full Version : Surface Editor changes not saved

Bill K
08-01-2004, 11:12 PM
I am using LW8 on a Mac G4 1.42 GHz w/ 2 gigs RAM. Keyframes created using the tools at the bottom of Layout are saved; color changes, transparency changes, etc., over time with keyframes created using the Graph Editor (clicking on E for Envelope) are not saved by the usual Mac Command-S or clicking on File - Save and selecting the option to overwrite the existing file. I can save a surface as a SEPARATE file, however, but not as part of a scene, even if I re-name the scene.

When I re-open a file I have been working on, anything previously created using the Surface Editor is back to its original state - all my changes, keyframes, etc., are gone.

I have tried reinstalling LW8, trashing Prefs and re-scanning Plugins, repairing Permissions, resetting PRAM, running DiskWarrior to check Directories, and running TechTool 4 diagnostics on my G4.

I have just started trying to learn Lightwave - any insights/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Danner
08-01-2004, 11:30 PM
save your objects

noiseboy
08-02-2004, 01:24 AM
surfaces are saved as part of the object file which is why Danner suggests saving the files.

somnambulance
08-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Yep, you have to save your objects seperate from saving your scene. That is the way they will be other scenes though. You have to save the objects as a different file name if you want it to have a different surface in a different scene.

Bill K
08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks for your replies; I couldn't figure out WHAT was going on. I created some changes in the object with the Surface Editor in Layout and saved the Object in Modeler - now everything works in Layout when I re-open the scene!

Edit to post: My working on the exercise (animating a hand) & saving the object in Modeler created multiples of the object in different positions in Layout: two hands, one on top of the other, up to three hands piled on top of one another in Layout. Newtek Tech Support advised me to remain in Layout, Save All Objects, then Save the Scene. It's the "little stuff" that always seems the hardest.

marlo.steed
08-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Yea, I had to figure out that the hard way as well. If you make changes in Layout to something like the surfaces. The surfaces are associated with the objects but when you save the scene those changes don't get saved. One of Lightwave's counter intuitive features.

The solution: Go to File and save out "all objects". That will save any changes you made to the surfaces in Layout withot having to go to Modeler. I wish an ergonmic designer could do a remake of the Lightwave's interface. Although it has come a long way since 6 but still has a ways to go.

BertD
06-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Being fairly new to LW this was very strange to discover.

Why are changes made to the surface editor not saved as part of the scene but instead have to be saved to the object?

Surely I should be able to keep one "surface independent" object that can be re-used throughout different scenes without having to keep different versions of the object?
What if you want to try different things in a few different scenes, does that mean saving out different versions of your objects each time to reflect to changes?
Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bert

Scazzino
06-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Unfortunately this is an old problem with LW. You are correct. If you want to use the same object with different surfaces, you need to save complete copies of the object with different surfaces applied to each one... and any time you change surfaces in Layout, you must remember to resave the associated objects, LW won't warn you to save them, it will just throw away any changes you made if you quit LW without resaving your objects on your own...

I've suggested in the past that NewTek add another level of surfaces to the scenes. That way those who like them applied at the object level could continue doing so, and those of us who would rather keep geometry independent from the surfaces, or wish to use the same object with different surfaces, could apply the surfaces in the scene and override those stored in the object itself...

LW should also track changes to surfaces and prompt for an object save when quitting layout...

-MikeS

Danner
06-13-2005, 11:57 PM
A little workflow tip.

If you want to try a different version of an object, just save it out with a different name in modeler. The newly created (and maybe modified) object will be automatically loaded in Layout repacing the old one. Then save the scen with a new descriptive name.

This way you can just load the scene that has the object you want.