PDA

View Full Version : Swithcer inputs

Dick Nelson
03-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Am I correct that it is NOT possible to put the same source on two different video inputs on the switcher?

PIZAZZ
03-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Only if you use do different types of inputs such as Y/C and composite or Y/C and component. Or you could use a Distribution amplifier to split the signal to two inputs.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Jef

Dick Nelson
04-01-2003, 07:17 AM
What we're trying to accomplish is this:

In the production of our newscasts we generally use "audio-follow-video," using the audio presets. But there are times when we need to change audio settings without changing the video source. We've discovered this is difficult to accomplish on the fly, since it sometimes means bringing one source up while bringing another down, simultaneously. My thinking was that if we had the video on two switcher "buttons" each could be configured with a different audio preset. We could then quickly switch and even though technically we would be switching video sources, we really wouldn't.

Paul Lara
04-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Don't forget the Manual button on Audio mixer may help you, as it will perform audio-follows-video, but will leave any input with Manual selected at the level it's at.

...or, are you trying to do the opposite?
If so, then just set all audio levels the way you want, and save as a new preset. You can then keep the same video input and change all audio by double-clicking that preset.

Dick Nelson
04-01-2003, 10:42 AM
I believe your second suggestion should accomplish what we want to do. I didn't realize it was that easy.

Dick Nelson
04-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately I was wrong, your suggestion doesn't work. When I double click the audio preset it switches video, too. I can turn off "Follow," but that's the problem--too many things to click on in a couple of seconds. I have to click Follow off, bring up one audio source, bring down another, and then click Follow on again, all within a few seconds.

Another solution I thought of would be to use a preset number number that doesn't have a corresponding number on the switcher. For instance, we use the 16-input configuration on the switcher, so I thought maybe I could use preset 17. But no. With Follow on, double clicking that does an autotake to whatever's on preview.

PIZAZZ
04-01-2003, 07:47 PM
You sound like someone that needs an external control surface for your audio. I have been patiently waiting for T3 so I can interface one myself. Can you say MIDI?

Still yet another reason to buy T3!

Kurt_Henning
04-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Yo Dick,

"With Follow on, double clicking that does an autotake to whatever's on preview."

This does not matter whether you use follow on or off, that is a function of the double click in t2.

I am still not following you on what you want to do.

If you are going to mix multiple audio sources I would dedicate an engineer to do this. I have done the one man show with the t2 and handling all the audio is overwhelming and interferes with the duties of the TD.

At no other time has the engineer had so many duties. One person can be a great audio engineer. One person can be a great video engineer. One person cannot be as great as a dedicated audio/video team. No way no how. I will go further to say that is a trend that is not good.

I'll take an audio engineer over me trying to pretend to be one as I switch anyday.

BTW GO JAYHAWKS BABY!

YMMV

Kurt_Henning
04-01-2003, 08:00 PM
What Jeff said.

another solution that would address both of our ideas is the hard surface switcher.

With this setup one person can switch and the other could use the audio mixer with the mouse without interfereing with each other.

the last idea was from a thread that Paulie wolly doo-dah Lara was blathering on about using dual mice. Yes, the idea is that one person could cliuck on the audio mixer and one on the switcher.

I presume this would work with dual monitors unless the crew is REAL close.

Dick Nelson
04-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Actually the Toaster -- unexpectedly -- has allowed us to ELIMINATE an audio operator because of the presents and audio-follow-video. It only creates a problem in a few instances where we want to change the audio source without changing the video source. And I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for the director to do this. Putting the same source on two switcher inputs would accomplish the task easily, but that can't be done, so I just need to figure out a different way. In one of the more common instances where we need to do it the work-around involves adjusting audio during capture of the clips. That probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's not worth going into all the details. We did it today and it works fine.

PIZAZZ
04-01-2003, 09:47 PM
You actually should be able to put your inputs on two separate inputs fairly easily. I guess unless they are component or Y/C.

What do your inputs look like??? maybe we can figure out a way until we get a hardware audio controller.

Do you have the RS8 live controller? You could use it for your director/switcher guy and the audio could be controlled by mouse by someone else.

more thoughts.....

Dick Nelson
04-02-2003, 09:18 AM
I don't want to go with any hardware switchers. My whole point is to make it possible for ONE person to do it all. Audio-follow-video using presets does exactly that EXCEPT in a few situations where we want to switch the audio without switching video. So I need some system where we can use audio-follow-video most of the time, but we can -- with a single click -- change the audio preset without affecting the video, if we want to.

mrjaialai
04-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't a distribution amplifier allow you to put the same source on two inputs?

Dick Nelson
04-02-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure a DA would work because the source we're talking about here is a DDR, not an external source. Even if it would, that costs money which we don't have. Actually, I'm about to give up on the whole idea because it seems like all the proposed solutions are worse than the problem. It's really not that big a deal.

PIZAZZ
04-02-2003, 06:58 PM
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! now that does make a difference!

Ok so a DDR you say.......Nope can't put one on two inputs. Sorry.

I see your dilemma now. I thought you were using cameras for inputs.

I would for you to be able to do that easily with one person then you could use the RS8 for video switching (which is always active no matter what the focused module) then use the mouse with the other hand to do your audio.

That seems to be the only way I can figure to do what you want to do.

Hope this all helps.

Jef

Dick Nelson
04-02-2003, 07:06 PM
The actual solution to this is to make audio-follow-video a one-way street. Right now it's a two-way street, so that if you are using it, you also get--in effect--video-follow-audio. If you use an audio preset, the corresponding video also switches.

What we need is audio-follow-video ONLY. So that when we select a video input the audio follows, but if we select an audio preset, the video does NOT follow.

PIZAZZ
04-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Okay got it.

You are going to love this. I believe what you want to do will be possible in VT3 using Toasterscript. I will look into it next week in Vegas and get back with you.

Jef

Dick Nelson
04-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Great. We will be getting VT[3] when it's available. I'll be in LV, too, so I will ask. Thanks.