Simple question....

Whats THE most wanted plugin?

nerdyguy227
08-01-2004, 08:16 PM
FPrime

Architook
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
The question is vague.
If you mean "What plugin do we all want to be written but hasn't been?" then there will be a million suggestions since every user has his own desires

What I'd like is a nice way to take multiple photos or even video of a real life scene and have the entire scene built automatically... objects with texturing, camera motion, and even lighting setup. Yes, there's stuff like Realviz and Boojoo but it's not really great for object modeling yet and also not integrated into a LightWave project easily. I know my request is not practical or possible today, but if it existed it'd completely change my work.

If the question is "what's the most important/useful/cool plugin for LightWave that's out now" then the answer is FPrime.

Tima
08-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi BigBoy

in game editing category, I search md5 exporter for doom 3 engine an the other one... SMD exporter for Half Life and the future HL².
Export Geometry, uvmapping and animation files...

Bigboy
08-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Its whats needed that hasn't been done yet.

BeeVee
08-02-2004, 01:49 AM
You won't need an md5 exporter for Doom3. It suffices to have Doom and Lightwave...

B

lesterfoster
08-02-2004, 04:33 AM
A quote from Ron Thorton, (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/thornton/1.html) Direct real time Mocap input. Designer brain scan interface... Plug LW into the designer's skull, and think the work to be done... and it will!

Johnnyx
08-02-2004, 05:20 AM
..Hi Bigboy! - congrats on the plug-in!! I can't wait to pick this up when I get back from Inverness!!

Re: other plug-ins... I will explain what I mean in case someone knows this exists already..

My characters are Robots. I assign a 100% weight map to each part of the character in order to assign bones in Layout. Now, supposing I accidentally assign the same weight map to a few different body parts... at the moment ( someone tell me if I am wrong!!) I can't select a range of polygons and "Remove" the map assignment.. I have to delete the Weight map completely, then start again.. Gosh, can folk follow this?...

So!! it seems what is needed is a whizzy "Remove Weight Map from selected polygons" type thing!!

Well.... you did ask!!

J:D

Chris S. (Fez)
08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
"Remove Weight Map from selected polygons" type thing!!

It is already there. Select offending polygons or points and hit "clear weightmap".

toonafish
08-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Donno what's THE most wanted plugin but something I'd like is weight editing in Layout with realtime feedback :-)

Fish

Originally posted by Bigboy
Simple question....

Whats THE most wanted plugin?

Johnnyx
08-02-2004, 06:16 AM
..heheheh umm what can I say..? still learning!! cheers Chris S..

UnCommonGrafx
08-02-2004, 06:23 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=116615&highlight=inker

Oh boy, before I blow all my wishes, I have experienced an epiphinay: get in touch with Joe Alter and become the developer for Shave and a Haircut on the LW Platform.

Castius
08-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm deing to see a simple deformation plugin that would allow objects to work as if they where bones. Basicly sockmonkey that works better.

Karmacop
08-02-2004, 08:36 AM
I've always wanted a plugin to easily clone objects with handles to help.

You can see my mockups at http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10564 and http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10567 . It sounds simple to me, but I can't program ;)

policarpo
08-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Well if you are serious, these would be nice:

1. Exporter for an After Effects project file (all buffers ordered properly and intact with inclusion of Lights and Camera info)

2. Exporter for a Digital Fusion flow (all buffers ordered properly and intact with inclusion of Lights)

3. A fully working .PSD exporter

4. Occlusion Pass exporter (should be part of the .PSD and AE and DF exporters as well)

5. Interactive and animatable spline paths (would include lofts and sweeps)

6. Magic Bevel (but with the ability to edit the Spline Path after the tool has been dropped).

Cheers.

:D

Bigboy
08-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
I've always wanted a plugin to easily clone objects with handles to help.

You can see my mockups at http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10564 and http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10567 . It sounds simple to me, but I can't program ;)

Sounds like you want a rail clone function... enter a number of clones and have it clone down the rail....?

Rich
08-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I think the most wanted for me would be a plugin that automatically created weightmaps on polygons for bones. That would speed up character rigging.

Right now my most favorite plugins are Fprime, Sasquatch and Hairspray.

Dodgy
08-03-2004, 09:34 AM
What do you mean Rich? There's a function in Vertex paint which does this already...

Rich
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
What I mean is a plugin that autmatically does the Vertex Map Value for each point based on how close and far it is from a bone. I want it to say for example if you were adding skelegons for an arm and you have the forearm bone and the bicep bone. I want it to be able to automatically make the points weighted with the correct percentage without me having to manually go in and type in the value that I want for the polygons that will be affected by those bones once they are in Layout.

I have never used vertex paint so I will check it out and see if it does what I am trying to explain.

Thanks

Lightwolf
08-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by policarpo
2. Exporter for a Digital Fusion flow (all buffers ordered properly and intact with inclusion of Lights)

..this should actually be possible with Fusion 5, since you could wirte out an ascii flow.
I guess the harder part would be to get LW to actually render the buffers needed ;)

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
08-03-2004, 11:55 AM
How about a plug-in that speeds up animation in layout?

Or a real smartskin solution?

Bigboy
08-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Its probably possible to play back animation quicker, but not speed up the whole workflow, since thats what Lightwave is.. and so, you have to write it again...

A play fast button would be possible... not sure its worth it..

Im currently soing a DDS texture loader, and then I "might" look at a bezier patch primitive plugin, which is on my wishlist... after that... anything something interesting I guess....

nerdyguy227
08-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Can't you just speed up the FPS?

hrgiger
08-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Its probably possible to play back animation quicker, but not speed up the whole workflow, since thats what Lightwave is.. and so, you have to write it again...

Maybe, but that's what everyone thought about rendering until FPrime came out....

And I'm talking about the speed at which we can move bones and rigs when you have a complex character in a scene or several characters. It can be painfully slow.... No wait, it is painfully slow.

policarpo
08-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Maybe, but that's what everyone thought about rendering until FPrime came out....

And I'm talking about the speed at which we can move bones and rigs when you have a complex character in a scene or several characters. It can be painfully slow.... No wait, it is painfully slow.

Just get Motion Builder or Project Messiah.

theo
08-03-2004, 08:05 PM
OMGoodness Poli I thought for one split second you were going to recommend C4D :D

policarpo
08-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by theo
OMGoodness Poli I thought for one split second you were going to recommend C4D :D
why should i when you seem so keen on speaking for me.

:rolleyes:

Hervé
08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Deeeeeep shadows integrated into LW....:D

Bigboy
08-04-2004, 01:47 AM

But thats what FPrime did... it DID rewrite the lightwave render - completely! But since theres not any "interaction" duing renders, its something that they can fully take over... just like a "playing back the animation quicker" app, which I did say was possible.

hrgiger
08-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Just get Motion Builder or Project Messiah.

Well, I'd rather see more functionality out of Lightwave itself rather then have to rely on a third party app like MB or messiah which was my point originally anyway. LW8 was supposed to be a big jump ahead in character animation tools but they don't do us much good if it's still slow and painful to work in Lightwave.

It's like throwing all new dials, seat covers and a new stereo system into a sputtering jalopy. Sure it's a lot more comfortable sitting in the car but it still takes us just as long to get across town.

Bigboy
08-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
Deeeeeep shadows integrated into LW....:D

Now this is one that could be interesting...and cool!!.....dont know about memory usage.... but it should be straight forward enough... its just extending Game style "shadow mapping" to let each pixel be an array of pixels......

( http://developer.nvidia.com/object/shadow_mapping.html )

Lightwolf
08-04-2004, 01:57 AM
Now this is one that could be interesting...and cool!!.....dont know about memory usage.... but it should be straight forward enough... its just extending Game style "shadow mapping" to let each pixel be an array of pixels.
Memory wise deep shadow maps are o.k., since they don't need to be as large in terms of x/y size.
There might be issues with ip and patents by pixar though.
Also, the hardest part is interfacing them with LW, the only way I could think of would be as a shader that completely shades all affected surfaces anew, taking into account the new type of shadow map.
Unfortunately the SDK has no provision for custom lights :(

Cheers,
Mike

Chris S. (Fez)
08-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Mike,

G2 allows casting of accurate shadowmaps through transparent surfaces, though the shadows cannot be softened. Is this a primitive form of "deep shadowing"?

Lightwolf
08-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
G2 allows casting of accurate shadowmaps through transparent surfaces, though the shadows cannot be softened. Is this a primitive form of "deep shadowing"?
Yep, basically the speed and smoothness of a shadow map combined with multiple transparencies like raytraced shadows.

Cheers,
Mike

druitre
08-16-2004, 07:50 AM
how about this: an object replacement plugin for layout that replaces the object only internally, in memory, when hitting F9 or F10. So, you can animate your scenes with lo-poly proxies yet see the rendered result with the hi-poly objects. The way object replacement works now, it replaces the actual object in the scene you're working on, putting it on stage. This is good for speeding up renders (Level of Detail-stuff) but what I mean is something to speed up animating.

Lightwolf
08-16-2004, 08:03 AM
druitre: While not as elegant, you can do something close to that:
Create a vopy of your objects directory, and populate it with proxy versions of your objects. By renaming the object directories you can then switch between the high and the low res objects (it would require a re-load of the scene though).
If you're really keen, you could even write a batch file to do the swapping for you.

Basically, two directories, objects_low, objects_high, and rename either one to objects if needed. I'd back them up every now and then though ;)

Cheers
Mike

hairy_llama
08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
I actually did write my own scrip for doing that, it replaced my high res cage wth a cut up object, each piece parented to a bone for super fast preview. At the click of another boutton I could have it change back to my high res mesh to check deformation. It saved me sooo much time but unfortunetly I am not good enough at writing a plugin that will work on any object, it only works for the object I write it for :(

hairy_llama
08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
I actually did write my own scrip for doing that, it replaced my high res cage wth a cut up object, each piece parented to a bone for super fast preview. At the click of another boutton I could have it change back to my high res mesh to check deformation. It saved me sooo much time but unfortunatly I am not good enough at writing a plugin that will work on any object, it only works for the object I write it for :(

smh
08-16-2004, 12:24 PM

1. Exporter for an After Effects project file (all buffers ordered properly and intact with inclusion of Lights and Camera info)

3. A fully working .PSD exporter

4. Occlusion Pass exporter (should be part of the .PSD and AE and DF exporters as well)

5. Interactive and animatable spline paths (would include lofts and sweeps)

6. Magic Bevel (but with the ability to edit the Spline Path after the tool has been dropped).

Cheers.

Policarpo has it right. 1 to 4 are probably the most urgently needed LW plug-ins. Until FPrime can render all of LW's features, and perhaps even then, there will be no better way to make full use of LW's renderers. I also want to add that it would be even greater, to have an exporter framework that saves each buffer in ILM's OpenEXR format. Then we could have "import kits" in the form of plug-ins or scripts that can instantly make a Fusion flow or an AE* project from those files.

*When OpenEXR is supported

Lightwolf, how hard would it be for you to take care of the Fusion5 bit? ;)

BTW here's what a Fusion5 comp looks like, in a text editor:

http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Products/teasers/fusion5/teaser_fusion5_ascii_ss.jpg

badllarma
08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
A Reduce Polys++++++++++++
To reduce Xfrog tree to something I can actually create woodland in 3D with E.G 49918 ploy count to 100 and still keep it 3D rather than a 1 ploy square with a 2D image pined on it. :(

Crowd generation would be really nice as well with a programable AI interface :D

Lightwolf
08-17-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by smh
Lightwolf, how hard would it be for you to take care of the Fusion5 bit? ;)

Lol, writing out the flow seems to be the easiest bit. It would probably require a new buffer export that intertwines with writing the DF composite, so that the comp actually knows about the layers.

Cheers,
Mike

druitre
08-17-2004, 08:25 AM
coming back to the replace objects thing:

Lightwolf, in the workaround you offer, doesn't it mean that as soon as you change (for instance animate) something in your 'lowres' scene your 'highres' scene is outdated? So how does this help?

Hairy Llama's approach seems more sensible, you could for instance record a macroscript (uhm, what's it called in LW?) that replaces each and every object with one of your choice in a given scene and run it every time you want do a testrender. (but what I really want is seeing previews, even FPrime ones, with highres objects while animating with lowres objects)

Expanding on the thought though: it could even work for another, but very related, plugin/functionality that I've been dying for in LW!

Here's what: have alternative 'versions' of scenes available at the press of a button.

Imagine having a set of buttons in your 'render'tab, next to render options. You set up your scene, in a basic simple lightingscheme and with lowres objects, and store that state under button1. Then you start changing lights, objects, whatever you want to refine the scene, and store that under button2. Or, you could make a 'daylight' and 'night' version of the same scene, or a true GI versus fake-GI. Basically, all properties in a scene that you want stored as a 'version' of that scene. All properties you don't select are not stored and thus remain unchanged when switching from one version to the other. (So, for instance, all keyframes remain) And ofcourse, you can later make changes in versions and store them.
And way cool would be, if you could do a 'load version from scene' so you can transfer a perfect rendering- or lightingsetup from one scene to the other.

Lightwolf
08-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by druitre
coming back to the replace objects thing:

Lightwolf, in the workaround you offer, doesn't it mean that as soon as you change (for instance animate) something in your 'lowres' scene your 'highres' scene is outdated? So how does this help?
..only if you actually change an object. Since the animation gets stored in the scene file, you won't have any problems there.
I've used this a lot to replace objects with bounding box objects for faster scene loading.
Obviously, once you enter tweaking weight maps and stuff like that, this method can be a horror since you have to keep your objects in sync.

Cheers,
Mike

druitre
08-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Ouch!!!

I should have read your original post better, I didn't get what you wrote at all! Good trick, Mike! Can also use this to 'let's just see and try out what happens when I replace those 100.000 slightly variated objects that are stored in tons of layers distributed around scores of objects' and then say 'nah, liked the original better'. And keep my sanity.

And about

Obviously, once you enter tweaking weight maps and stuff like that, this method can be a horror since you have to keep your objects in sync.

does [8] store weightmapinformation in the rig-file? Then you would have to swap just that after reload.
What about a 'load maps from object' function?

Ciao,

Jasper

druitre
08-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Oh!

That reminds me: after opening the 'load objects from scene' requester, I want a dialogue screen asking me what objects from that scene I want to load. (as in: 'all' or 'just the ones you select')

Lightwolf
08-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by druitre
does [8] store weightmapinformation in the rig-file? Then you would have to swap just that after reload.
What about a 'load maps from object' function?

No it doesn't.
I don't think it would work, since weight maps (or, more precise, all vertex maps) are just that, vertex maps, which means they are linked to one precise vertex.
Kill the vertex and the map entry is gone to.
It might be possible to copy a vertex map from one object to another, based on the distance of the "proxy" vertex to the original vertex, but you would probably get a weird result, especially if you rely on "exact" vertex maps.

Cheers,
Mike

toonafish
08-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Just kill all polies and merge all points of the original object that has all the weightmaps in it and save it under a different name ( or same name in different folder if you're using object-name dependent expressions ). Then you can use this one-point object as a stand in without losing the weightmap entries in your bones.

Cageman
08-20-2004, 08:02 AM

I couldn´t agree more. Doesn´t anyone know why the heck it´s so slow? (well, probably not, otherwise it wouln´t be slow...*bling*).