PDA

View Full Version : Giant desert scorpion

cathuria
07-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Greetings -- I tried some new tricks with surfacing and post-work on this one... tweaked it a bunch, but now it's down to the point where I could use some fresh vision to tell me where I went right & where wrong...

sidetrak
07-31-2004, 09:47 PM
well, i like all of the textures very much, but the scorpion looks a little off, i think that the scorpion actually looks like it isnt lit like the other objects, try tweaking the diffuse, if thats even the problem. it still looks good:D

cathuria
08-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Yes, placing a dark-colored critter in a sunburnt landscape was one of my big challenges here... I've been fiddling with adjustments and I slapped a hue/saturation layer on it this version...
I don't really like the way it reduces the tonal range, but that might fit with the sunburnt thing... it does seem to pick out the scorpion better.
So which is niftier to your eyes?

Brett H.
08-02-2004, 05:52 PM
It's a nice image, the sand looks good and the details are there on the landscape. Nice.

The scorpion, however, lacks the detail necessary to make it look like it is that big. Compared to the skull, it is a huge creature. It needs tons of little details to make it appear as big as it is. This was the problem with alot of the old movies with huge insects, they never had enough detail to convince the eye that they were that big. Anything big has small details, just as a matter of scale.

cathuria
08-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Hmm, interesting point, Brett -- There's room to add some serrated edges & such to the pincers and maybe more complex mandibles...
But arthropods are rather simple creatures -- I'm not sure what else I could add in the way of realistic details...
Nurnies, maybe?:D

glassefx
08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Cathuria, Very cool indeed! I'm racking my brain trying to think of things that would convey a sense of scale.... hum... hard one... Besides the aformentioned details I am thinking that the reflections are going to sell it... i.e. a smaller animal does not posses the surface area to reflect something in detail where is something that's bigger does... Make sense?

Make his peepers have a good reflection I was thinkin'...

Also, you need to make his diffuse better - he is too dark considering his environment. Remember diffusion scatters light and if you have a good diffuse map (even though its hard to see big differences) will sell this also...

What to reflect? I was thinking the sky for one, and maybe the surrounding dunes to some extent.

you've picked the hardest situation to light and make look good. But it is possible...

good luck dude!

glassefx
08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey I dicked around with your render on my luch break and did some asdjustments I thought would look better... Hope you don't mind...

peace.

Brett H.
08-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by cathuria
Hmm, interesting point, Brett -- There's room to add some serrated edges & such to the pincers and maybe more complex mandibles...
But arthropods are rather simple creatures -- I'm not sure what else I could add in the way of realistic details...
Nurnies, maybe?:D
Yeah, they are simple creatures, but God is in the details. Up close, they really aren't that simple, and you're portraying a creature that is so big, his details would be apparent even from this distance.

Take a look at this (http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/urodacus_sp.jpg). I know it's not exactly the variety your showing here, but it gives a good idea of the kind of detail that these things have. Look at the ridges, the hairs, the specular hits. There's a certain amount of SSS happening on his thorax, and some edge incidence as well. He's like a fractal: even his details have details.

Here's (http://www.seaworld.org/AnimalBytes/abfemalescorpion.htm) another one, maybe more like the one you've modelled. See how, even though he's black, a ton of detail can be seen. He's definitely not "simple". There are really no smooth areas on his exoskeleton.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for in the way of crits, but this is what I was talking about.

cathuria
08-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Glass: hm, much dodging & burning -- the effect is less subtle than I like, but you've got a point, it picks out the scorpion nicely... of course, such extreme retouching would have to be done on the whole scene...
Oh, and I have futzed around with the reflectivity a lot -- still haven't found the right mix.

Brett: thanks for the reference pic's -- that first one has better detail than any of the others I've found.

Well, this is starting to look like a case of "move on to version 2" -- :)

starbase1
08-04-2004, 05:35 AM
I like the changes in colouring. Maybe add some specular? With the sun in the right place the highlights could help bring out the shape.

I could be completely wrong, but the pose seems to my eye to be very low to the ground.

Nick