PDA

View Full Version : Any one seen Alien vs. Predator yet?

lesterfoster
07-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Any one seen Alien vs. Predator yet?

Just wondering. It looks like a good movie to me.

Was Lightwave used to make any part of it?

mattclary
07-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Pretty sure it doesn't come out until August 18 or so...

lesterfoster
07-31-2004, 03:52 PM
I was pretty sure it was realeast yesterday, as I see, read, and hear lots of advertisement about it. I must check out my local newspaper for play times.

Miles
08-01-2004, 01:10 AM
> USA:04.08.13 (http://www.avp-movie.com/) <

> International Dates (http://www.avp-movie.com/releasedates.html) <

> Production Info (http://www.avp-movie.com/us/flash/production-notes.html) <

;)

lesterfoster
08-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Now that the movie is finely released. Is it a good movie?

CB_3D
08-18-2004, 07:04 PM
I was lucky(?!) enough to see a preview with a friend who works at the distributor.

It has some visuals that are VERY VERY well done.Thereīs a very cool Alienqueen sequence in it.

Apart from that itīs even worse than Predator 2. Alien 3 and 4 are masterpieces compared to this. The gore is practically non-existant (PG13) , the established rules about Aliens are largely ignored (minutes from chestburster to grown Alien??) and the whole concept is close to ridiculous.

Even Freddy vs Jason was better than this (IMO) and that should tell you something ;-)

I recommend you to see it for some of the fx when it comes to blockbuster. Donīt waste your money on a ticket.

hrgiger
08-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
Even Freddy vs Jason was better than this (IMO) and that should tell you something ;-)

Freddy vs. Jason was awesome.

CB_3D
08-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Freddy vs. Jason was awesome.

Lol, one never should discuss personal tastes on forums.
Thereīs a good chance youīll like avp, then.

peace

Jim_C
08-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Hopes were :D

Movie was :confused: :rolleyes: :( :o :mad:

mattclary
08-18-2004, 08:39 PM
It was ok. Rent it or watch it on HBO.

turbo
08-19-2004, 11:40 AM
It was a struggle to stay awake during the first half hour.. the second half hour dragged .. but once into the cg and robotics it was fun to watch..
Pretty predictable tho.. and I left the theatre thinking the only good stuff was the cg and robotics...
The baby aliens were a bit too shiny tho...
..mho..

Jim_C
08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Funny true story re: Freddy vs Jason,

Last night at the end of the news when they have a 4minute 'entertainment' section. The reporter said they are in talks about making a new one next year, except this one is going to be called,

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash.

ummm hmmm, from Army of Darkness. Bruce Campbell will revive the role.

Have not googled it yet or looked any further.

Jim

postscript
OK, I googled it,
http://www.empiremovies.com/news.php?id=508

Signal to Noise
08-19-2004, 12:10 PM
A work colleague had free passes to go see the sneak preview last week. He invited me to come along but I couldn't make it. Next day I asked him how the movie was and he said

"Don't bother."

I explained that I'm a HUGE Alien fan and although I wasn't planning to see it in the theater because the trailers looked so-so I would definitely see it on DVD when it came out. He replied

"Don't bother."

Guess I'm not bothering. Well...maybe one peek when it it's out on DVD...;)

ACLOBO
08-19-2004, 03:35 PM
I am a huge fan of these franchises. However, upon hearing about this movie and then seeing the first trailers for it, I was a little worried. So, when I did go see the movie, I went in with low expectations.

Surprisingly, I left the theater having had a "fun" time. If you go in and pick it apart based on established rules, then yes, you will be annoyed and disappointed. If you go in and see it with a more "comic book perspective" then you will actually see it as a really fun movie.

THe major things that bothered me about it was the gestation period (we had no sense of how much time has passed). The rated pg-13 things was kinda of annoying too as I would have liked it to be more adult oriented and not geared toward the younger generation of people - face it folks, a lot of us purist fans are not kids any more - we are cranky and set in our ways.

So, I had fun at the movie. It will make it into my collection (where Predator 2 never will). I thought it was a much better movie that I expected it to be - and it had a certain "coolness" factor to it. Go in to have fun - not to critique and you will have fun you crabby bastards! :D

-Adrian

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 04:44 PM
yeah, of course it depends a lot on your expectations if you enjoy a movie or not. for example right now i am watching Van Helsing. there are so many continuity problems in it it almost hurts, but i am still having a very good time watching it. right now helsing seems to be revealing himself as some kind of monster, man, i canīt wait for the conclusion.

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 04:50 PM
ahh, he was bitten by a werewolf, now i get it. man, these movies are sooooo complicated and complex,LMAO

but seriously, the fx are really good in this one. highly recommended just for the flying vamp ladies.

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 04:56 PM
"You trrry too gett Igorrr, Igorrr get you!!!"

Wahaaahhaa

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Harr harrr, Igorrr had it coming.

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Sorry, just having some good fun browsing and watching monsters clashing.

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 05:08 PM
man, that human babe can take a beating....

CB_3D
08-19-2004, 05:11 PM
so, is draculaīs clothing part of him or why does it always re-appear after him transforming back to human form?? man, this movie is really complicated....:confused: :eek:

Emmanuel
08-22-2004, 06:52 AM
What You actually want to say is "This movie sucks".
Honestly the biggest CRAP I spent my money on in the last
6 months was "Van Helsing".

lesterfoster
08-22-2004, 12:27 PM
You people have crushed my hopes. I was looking forward to seeing this one in the theater.

Does this movie really suck?

CB_3D
08-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Have You seen Soldier? Now THAT was a good drama...

CB_3D
08-22-2004, 01:55 PM
lesterfoster, go see it for the designs, they are quite decent.

and yes, as a "movie, it sucks. no characterdevelopment at all, bad editing...the list goes on and on.

And this comes from soeone who really liked Event Horizon, so i am not one of those generic Anderson haters.

I think he would be a good TD or designer, heīs just not a director. His "directing" style reminds me a lot of Renny Harlin, you know? nice ideas, bad execution.

He could maybe be a great ad or musicvideo director,just not movies. ī

Oh man, i have to work, just surfing as an excuse not to....

Cya all later ;-)

handron
08-23-2004, 01:46 PM
As has been said a thousand times, "it depends on the viewer". I am a fan of both movie franchises. Was AVP really really good? Nope. Will it make it into my DVD collection? Yup. Why? Because I had fun watching it. The stage presence of the Predators alone is worth watching. My only reserve to recommend this is this: Catch the bargain matinee. Not every movie made has to be groundbreaking or a work or art. Some are just fun. I can see what there is to hate but I can ignore those things and just have a good time. Everyone is different so it's ultimately up the viewer. Just as a measuring stick, Predator 2 won't make it into my collection.:) Hope this helps anyone.:D

lesterfoster
08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by handron
Hope this helps anyone.:D

lesterfoster, go see it for the designs, they are quite decent.
;-)

Yes ! This helps me a lot. I think that I am going to wait for it to come out on DVD, not just DVD, but the special edition. With the making of. At present, I can not watch a DVD at home, even though I have almost all the toys. I have a complete VT[3] with the SX-8 and LightWAVE, as well as a DVD burner. How ever I picked up my DVD burner at a good price. At that time I did not understand what a DVD burner was all about. I can make all the CD formats that you would expect, how ever I can only make DVD data disk's. I can not make a DVD video disk, or watch a DVD movie. I wish that I would have got it from my NewTEK dealer.

So far I have, T2 the ultimate edition DVD, Star Wars attack of the clones special edition, Star Wars the phantom menace special edition, Terminator 3, 2 disk full screen edition. Spider-man full screen special edition, and Final Fantasy special edition. These all have the making of on disk 2. Unfortunately the only one that I have been able to watch is Final Fantasy. I do not understand why I can't watch the others on my toaster with my DVD burner/player. One movie that I am looking for is TRON, the 20th anniversary edition, from what I understand, it has the making of on it. TRON is one of my all time favorite movies, and has every thing to do with me getting into 3D animation.

I am interested in buying a stand a lone DVD player. What are the good one's???:confused: :) :D

CB_3D
08-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Donīt know if that has anything to do with it, but here it goes anyway.

Do You use WINdvd to watch DVDs on your comp? And do you have DIVX video- and AC3 soundcodecs installed on that same system? If so there could be a conflict, like WinDVD freezing up.

Solution to this is the following.

Uninstall them all and then re-install in the following order. (Use the LATEST Nimo Codec pack for Divx and AC3.

2.a NIMO-Install AC3 codec (again, unmark all other options)

2.b NIMO-Install AC3 filter and DIVX Antifreeze (again, unmark all other options)

3.Restart the comp

4.Only now install WinDVD

Done this way you can watch AC3 DIVXs and DVDs on the same
system, which seems to a problem lately for many people.

Then again, since You are using a VT system this may only be a good idea if you are used to mantainace and installations.

Also there could be some other VT codecs that are conflicting with WinDVD, but since i donīt own a Toaster i canīt say anything about that.

As to DVD players, thereīs one from Samsung for around 60 Euros (no idea how the USD is right now;-) that can read anything, DVD-R DIVX,MP3s, Video CDs. But i wouldnīt be too suprised if it had problems with AC3 sound, though, for the reasons specified above.

lesterfoster
08-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Donīt know if that has anything to do with it, but here it goes anyway.

Whow. This is one that I am going to half to ask my toaster dealer about as it is way beyond my knowledge. And my toaster dealer is the boss of my toaster..

Buy the way, I do not serf the net with my toaster. I do that with my old EditBAY. I know that this is the #1 reason why my toaster still works!!

CB_3D
08-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by lesterfoster
And my toaster dealer is the boss of my toaster..

Huhhh? I didnīt get that one, sorry.

Anyway, maybe itīs all a lot simpler.I assume you donīt have DIVX and AC3 installed, from your description, so donīt bother about that part.

To watch DVDs on a computer you need to install a DVD codec which comes with WinDVD. WinDVD is a software that usually comes free with DVD burners/players.

Or you can download it on the net. Itīs a player like Mediaplayer and has all the codecs you need. Just google for an older free version, you donīt need the latest one, which is commercial, but also has a 14 days demo.