PDA

View Full Version : WOW...Trinity FX for ALL!!

MediaSig
07-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Check it out....

http://www.grangerfx.com/trinityfx.htm

I thought some of the old effects were pretty cool. Now I guess I could try them out, but they seem a little expensive.

Greg

sbrandt
08-01-2004, 04:57 PM
It's one dollar per effect.

Rich Deustachio
08-01-2004, 06:36 PM
The link isn't working here.

ScorpioProd
08-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Isn't this the same package of effects that was reviewed in DV Magazine a few months ago?

As I recall, it didn't get that great a review.

Something about limited use of many of the effects and lack of keyframeable controls or something like that as I recall.

MediaSig
08-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sbrandt
It's one dollar per effect.

COOL!! Then can I pick and choose the ones I want?

;)

Greg

ted
08-02-2004, 11:06 AM
I'd be very likely to buy into this if it worked real time on the VT timeline. And if I could buy just the NTSC ones for a buck per effect.

mgrusin
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here - will these work with VT at all? It looked like they were for Premiere, but maybe I missed the VT bullet...

Also, my first thought was, "is this legal?". If he or she rebuilt all the Trinity effects by hand, that's one thing, but if you convert original data files to another format and sell them, is that a copyright violation?

-MG

Jim Capillo
08-02-2004, 06:35 PM
They're pretty anal about software..... even to the point of not allowing transfer of ownership via private sale (eBay, etc.). Hardware sale is OK, software is a no-no. They want you to register the hardware with them and then force you to buy new software.

I can't imagine they'll allow this.........

sbrandt
08-02-2004, 06:51 PM
MediaSig,
It's obvious you can't do that. There are 500 effects for $499. Ergo, a buck an effect plus 170 PALs. TEPID !!!

-----------

This store link works:
http://grangerfxstore.com/

MediaSig
08-02-2004, 08:00 PM
sbrandt

Did you notice the wink in my last response?

...it was a joke.

Still, nice effects...but I'd probably only use a third of them.

;)

Peace

Greg

sbrandt
08-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Oh... yeah... now I get it.

I've got one:
How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?

Four. One to hold the giraffe and another to fill the bathtub with brightly colored machine tools, one more to change it and one to throw a bucket of water out the window. Exquisite corpses.

MediaSig
08-03-2004, 02:34 AM
:D

Greg

JReble
08-03-2004, 08:54 AM
I just chucked the DV magazine with the review on these. The guy does in fact have the rights to distribute this. He was involved in their initial creation on the Trinity and he managed some agreement. I guess any money these days is attractive to them.

Anyway, the review of these was not very positive. Mildy interesting is what I got from it. They did point out that none of the effects can be adjusted duration-wise, direction, etc. I get the feeling it was not really a set of effects for a particular edit platform either, but a set of elements or a standalone rendering app for the effect sections. That may mean it works with the Toaster in a round about way. Still, it didn't interest me much.

ted
08-03-2004, 01:02 PM
mgrusin, the way I think you'd have to do it is to export the clips into another app, render the clips with the effect, then import that back into VT. Too much time for my average session.
I like being able to throw the effects at a client (real time), and let him decide yes or no.
That's what I liked so much about Eric Pratt's effects!!!

mgrusin
08-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm with you; once you leave VT, time turns glacial. I've never used Trinity, but these would have to be SPECTACULAR for me to render out a section, do the effect, and import it back in...

-MG.

JReble
08-04-2004, 09:53 AM
This raises an interesting question. Couldn't one (with a trinity)conceivably record a number of the effects out to tape or disk transitioning between blue and green for the purpose of keying these effects. Just off the top of my head, it may be that you could then use these clips and key out the blue on the a source in the TED timeline, then in a second pass, key out the green for the b source in the timeline. Most of the sports FX would work easily this way I think. I suppose there would be a problem with the translucent elements and the warping video elements of course. Hmm... I might have try that while I still have access to one of them old clunkers. Any way to output an alpha channel from Trinity FX either in data or video format??

Eric Pratt
08-18-2004, 06:25 PM
You could use an extra output card to output the alpha channel (key out) but this only worked on systems with rev 4 (or 6?) switchers or later because the earlier ones were missing a chip.

Mark's program is designed to be a plugin to add on to premiere, AE, or combustion. I think the best app for this is for premiere. I'm surprised it got panned, the FX are really quality, the reviewer was probably trying to fit it in a Boris kind of frame of mind.

FYI, even though I don't sell the FX for the Toaster any more (and really don't sell the FX for the Trinity either), I do have all the FX that I ever made for the Trinity in GrangerFX format, if anyone with premiere was ever interested in adding another 700 effects on.

Rich Deustachio
08-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by JReble
This raises an interesting question. Couldn't one (with a trinity)conceivably record a number of the effects out to tape or disk transitioning between blue and green for the purpose of keying these effects. Just off the top of my head, it may be that you could then use these clips and key out the blue on the a source in the TED timeline, then in a second pass, key out the green for the b source in the timeline. Most of the sports FX would work easily this way I think. I suppose there would be a problem with the translucent elements and the warping video elements of course. Hmm... I might have try that while I still have access to one of them old clunkers. Any way to output an alpha channel from Trinity FX either in data or video format??

I did this for some Trinity FX but not all look good. The ones with hard edges look ok but when you try to key out the gradient smooth edge FX is doesn't look as good.