PDA

View Full Version : New Texture refreshing plugin

Bigboy
07-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Im not exactly sure where to post this, so I'll put it here - sorry if its the wrong place!

While texturing, I got really irritated with having to go through hoops to reload my texture from PSP back into LW.. so I've done a plugin that will refresh all textures.

This means that once I've bound it to a key, I can edit a texture and press (say) <CTRL-R> for refresh and all the textures will reload showing all the new changes.

I find it a hell of a lot easier... so I thought I'd share it.

you can find it at

http://www.mikedailly.com/files/TextureReload.zip

Let me know if its any use, and if there are any additions you'd like to see...

You know... now Ive done it, I cant believe Newtek hasn't! It was VERY simple, and if they'd done it inside LW, it would be even easier!

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2004, 02:36 PM
I love you!!

:D

Aquaman
07-31-2004, 03:03 PM
You’re a godsend. I've wanted something like this for a long time.

Bigboy
07-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Well, I hope you like it AND that its what your after ....

(oh... and that it works!! :D)

Mattoo
07-31-2004, 04:31 PM
The link seems to be bust! :(

extrabyte
07-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the plugin.

However, it seems that no matter where I put the plugin and then add it, it doesn't show up anywhere in Layout!

But it does show up in Modeler if I add it there.

Maybe I just more sleep!

mr_nebel
07-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Same here, it would be really good if we could use this in Layout as well.

Bigboy
08-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Okay.... I use Modeler more than layout (I make game models), but I'll try to get it working in layout as well.

The link seems fine here... I clicked... it downloaded.

It could be the DNS being a bit odd.. try again later, failing that - can you upload zip files to the board?

Bigboy
08-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Okay, I've uploaded a new version that is visible to both Modeler AND Layout.

Hope this helps.

Bytehawk
08-01-2004, 05:03 AM
oooooohh
thank you

this is really sweet. I love this one.

Mattoo
08-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Excellent, that worked. Thanks very much!

Blochi
08-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Hello BigBoy,

I have no idea how you did this, I just tried the same in LScript last week, but hit a wall there.

What I am working on is this:

http://www.Blochi.com/gfx/lscripts/AppLauncher.jpg

I would love to join our plugins into one.
So, PLEASE, drop me a private email: [email protected]

Thank you so much!
Blochi

MooseDog
08-01-2004, 09:59 AM
every once in a while, someone comes along and changes our world:D

beautiful, thx!!!!!!!!1

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2004, 10:05 AM
I love synergy!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blochi
[B]Hello BigBoy,

I have no idea how you did this, I just tried the same in LScript last week, but hit a wall there.

What I am working on is this:

http://www.Blochi.com/gfx/lscripts/AppLauncher.jpg

I would love to join our plugins into one.
So, PLEASE, drop me a private email: [email protected]

Thank you so much!

Bigboy
08-01-2004, 10:32 AM
[Blochi]I have no idea how you did this, I just tried the same in LScript last week, but hit a wall there.

As I said, it turned out to be remarkably simple! Its not an LScript this time, but a true C++ plugin.

I am planning to try and get it to "sync" better rather than reload every image, Im goning to try and keep a list of date stamps and only load the ones that have changed.

I cant emphisise how much easer this would be if Newtek were to do it. However, till then I'll try and improve it as much as possible.

As to your plugin, Im not sure why you need this rather than just having the image open in another app, but it looks pretty!

I dont really see the "need" to join them, Im assuming from LScript you could just call mine to refresh the images anyway?

papou
08-01-2004, 10:35 AM
thx bigboy! !

Bigboy
08-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Can I ask everyone how many textures they have loaded at anyone time? Whats the upper limit? ballpark figure?

Bigboy
08-01-2004, 12:11 PM
I have updated it again.

The 1st time you use it, it will reload every image as before.
After that, it will ONLY reload ones that have changed based on the last write time.

This should help speed up scenes with many textures a LOT!!

It would be nice to be able to do this the 1st time as well, so I may keep looking at it.
But since there was nothing like this before, I figure this would do just now.

:D

Enjoy!

thekho
08-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Oh...yesss. I need like thats your plugin which i have been waiting for longtime, cos i make head model with textures. I hate forth and back like replace everytime. It's really tedious.

Thanks very much for your excellent plugin! U ROCKS, Bigboy!

riki
08-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Looks good, any chance of a Mac Port?

Blochi
08-01-2004, 08:43 PM
I dont really see the "need" to join them, Im assuming from LScript you could just call mine to refresh the images anyway?

Sure, that's the first thing I will try to do. Don't have the code here, forgot it at work... So, tomorrow.

Yours is perfect as it is, but mine is just incomplete without yours. That leaves the question, should I rely on people to have yours installed already? Also, whenever you update yours to a different name, my script would break.

hmm...
Would you give me permission to include yours in my download archive, as long as I keep your Readme with it? O should I just set a link and have people hunt down yours?

Please, drop me a private mail to [email protected] I could not find your email anywhere...

However, well done.
Great plugin.
Blochi

edit: my stuff is Freeware, too, so don't you think I would want to rip you off or something.... It really is just that this very thing is impossible in LScript, and its the last missing function to get this thing done.

Bigboy
08-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Well, the name won't change... in fact its mostly finished as it is.

I would "prefer" a link, since I can keep track of downloads that way... for example, in the 2 days since I released it, its been downloaded over 350 times....

Id say people have been waiting on this :)

However, since its totally free its up to you, just keep the zip in in one piece if you can.

I did get your email BTW, but I'd already replyed here so..

Bigboy
08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Well...I dont have a mac so... :(

With any luck newtek will take the hint and take it over :)

Bigboy
08-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Be aware that there "may" be a bug inside LW that might cause problems.

http://www.flay.com/getdetail.cfm?ID=2005

If you've completely modeled and are texturing, then save at each state so if it does go wrong, you can just reload the model.

I've not had this, so I can't comment... but this guy thinks the bug is still in LW8 so..... beware.

If anyone does gert this please let me know.... I think I know another (morte complicated) way of doing it...

Course... if it is there... newtek could fix it :)

Bigboy
08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
This is a LW8 plugin.

A few folk have been trying to run it on LW7.5b and below - it wont work on that. The Image->replace() function does not exist under 8. Sorry!

duderender
08-04-2004, 02:18 PM
THanks a bunch Bigboy & Blochi!!

GregMalick
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Blochi,
When will your plugin be available?:)

brap
08-06-2004, 08:57 AM
From Flay: "There's a bug with replace image. And this plugin becomes a dangerous thing because of that bug. When you do replace image (or use this plugin) to refresh textures few times, surfaces which have different textures on different channels get these textures replaced randomly. It's known LW bug and it wasn't fixed in LW8. "

Has this been confirmed?

GregMalick
08-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Blochi,
If this really does crash earlier LW versions, maybe you should put a version check into the program, so it will just warn users instead of crashing them out.

Blochi
08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Me?

Hey - thats not my Thread. This is about Mike and his Texture Reload.

go here for the ImageEditorPlus
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26682

Also, Mike's just won't work before 8, and this bug refers to the only version it runs on. Won't crash, either, "just" do harmful shuffle to the surface layers. Also, it has never occured to me yet, so I cannot confirm this bug.

Blochi

GregMalick
08-06-2004, 02:16 PM
to Blochi:

oops....
Man, I gotta get some rest. I'm just way too confused!

sorry. :o

Bigboy
08-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by brap
From Flay: "There's a bug with replace image. And this plugin becomes a dangerous thing because of that bug. When you do replace image (or use this plugin) to refresh textures few times, surfaces which have different textures on different channels get these textures replaced randomly. It's known LW bug and it wasn't fixed in LW8. "

Has this been confirmed?

I have't been able to get it.... in fact, LW7.x doesn't HAVE the replace image function, so it not being fixed for 8 doesn't make sence.

brap
08-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Bigboy
I have't been able to get it.... in fact, LW7.x doesn't HAVE the replace image function, so it not being fixed for 8 doesn't make sence.

That's a good point! Anyhow, like you said, we'll just proceed with caution for now, and enjoy the time savings that your plug provides! A lot of folks, including myself, have been asking for this one for some time! If a problem arises, then we'll just post it here.

Blochi
08-07-2004, 07:38 PM
FYI, a Mac called "Total Refresh" can be found at:http://www.ogurut.com/