PDA

View Full Version : soccer ball no shadow and various probs

hydrowire
07-31-2004, 02:24 AM
hi all, its a newbie question:

i. i have a plane underneath the ball, why there are no shadows?

ii. why i can still se polygons on my ball? little triangles...
(modeled using subpatch and freeze after completed, no texture used, its color)

thx in advance!

Lynx3d
07-31-2004, 04:02 AM
I suggest you read the manual first... :rolleyes:

Enable shadows in the render options and smothing in the texture...

hydrowire
07-31-2004, 07:07 PM
lol im stupid enought to ask tat, anywhere thx!

here's my final render: (playing with texturing)

Silkrooster
08-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Did you model that from a tutorial or other source? The ball looks excellent. The only thing I see with the texture is that you have the reflectivity set very high. I know most people who first learn about texture have a tendency to reflect everything making things shiny.
If you look at a ball it can be glossy especially a new one, but it is not reflective. If you really want to learn about textures, try making the ball as dirty as you can. Create maps for the specularity channel and maybe even the diffuse channel. Create highlights and dark shadows on the ball, you could even try taking a picture of a water stain or dirt and apply that to one of those channels. How about adding a smuge where some child drew a crayon mark on the ball or better yet a skid mark from the blacktop driveway or some green grass stains. Start asking your self where the ball has been and what was it doing. Then you will be thinking about other ways you can get this nice shiny new ball to look used and worn.
By doing this you are making the ball your own, it will no longer look like anybody elses. You are giving life to that ball. Giving it some history.
There are some great tutorials about texturing or you could go get a book like "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing" by Leigh van der Byl.
Have fun and great work so far, I'll be looking forward to seeing more works by you. So keep it up and good luck.
Silkrooster