PDA

View Full Version : Cue In and play pause creates stutter

RandyM
07-30-2004, 10:17 PM
I have searched the archives and found some people with this issue.. but no real resolve..

Issue:
2 DDR's with AVI clips each (RTV)
When you put 1 on CUE in and Play Pause, it causes (about 4 secs later) the DDR that is currently playing to stutter.
If i simply turn cue in OFF on the waiting DDR, it instantly stops the stuttering. Turn it back on.. 4 secs later stutter.

I have a max system.. Supermicro yada yada system. It's not a system issue.

What it sounds like to me is VT3 software is checking the "bus" or something in some kinda of cycle count to see if that DDR is about to play... and that is causing the system to stutter....

Any help?

Randy

bradl
07-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Just in case... there are some settings to increase system resources for better DDR performance in the Preferences.

Jim_C
07-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Yea, just as Brad says.
I have had to jack my DDR resources to full for just about anything other than a single click and play.

RandyM
07-31-2004, 10:53 AM
I have almost everything jacked up right now. The only thing I don't have jacked up is the CPU speed. I have dual 3.06GHz chips and all settings are set to 5.95Mhz. Would you suggest I go higher? (I believe the manual says not to do more then the total speed of both processors)

bradl
07-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Do you get stutter with 2 or 3 clips in TED?

RandyM
08-01-2004, 04:40 AM
No the system works fine with 2 or 3 clips in TED. However I might not be understanding what your asking.

When you say 2 or 3 clips how do you mean to set that up?

Thank-you

bradl
08-01-2004, 05:39 PM
I am just trying to further the discussion a bit as I do not specialize in all the hardware issues and troubleshooting as some here. My thought was if you can do several layers (PIP's, animated banners, etc.) in VTEdit, then playing two DDR's shouldn't be a problem for you hardware-wise. If VTEdit also stutters then you need to check such things as your SCSI throughput (what does Auto-Configure report?), bad drive, power problems, etc. If it seems to be more software related then check such things as DDR cache settings (point to fastest disk), DDR Preferences for Resource Usage, CPU Limit, and PCI Bandwidth.

Also try using RTV as your cued up clips. RTV's are designed to read straight off the disk without any CPU usage (i.e. limited only by disk performance- up to a point). They are the most efficient clip format. AVI on the other hand can be one of several codecs all of which need other system resources to Compress or Decompress, with some being quite a significant burden on the CPU (DV for example).

I'm sure some of the hardware guru's around here can add some more important points to consider...

Since I don't 'do live', there is a very real possiblity that there is a limitation or bug I don't know about in the latest patch (or whatever patch you are running) that could cause this situation when using Auto Cue.

RandyM
08-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Ok Question:

By putting a DDR in CUE and Play/Pause mode.... Does the software actually eat up SCSI bandwidth for this DDR in CUE in/ play pause mode?

I would like to think it doesn't, but if it does, that would explain my problem.

(I would have thought CUE In play/pause would only be a cycle check and then if DDR active, THEN go to HD and pull info)

?????????