PDA

View Full Version : Saslite Guide to Long Hair

chemaelizondo
07-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi there.
I try to keep myself from posting questions until I find myself completely out of options.
Unfortunately this is one of those times.

I went through some tutorial I foud regarding the creation of long hair using Saslite: (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/saslite/).

I've went through it several times and as it didn't work I began searching my way out through as many variables as I could think of. Unfortunately Im still stock.

As you can see in the next pic, saslite is active and working in the rendering process but the final render only shows the polys and no hair.
(Even though saslite is active and working the rendering process goes quite fast as if saslite was inactive).

This could very well turn out to be something very simple but hey, Im a newbie.

Can anybody help me ?!

:D

Dodgy
07-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Have you applied both the deformation plugin AND the pixel filter?

chemaelizondo
07-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Uh... Yes I forgot to mention that, they're both turned on (with the same paramenters specified in the Tutorial above mentioned).

Doesn't it all comes down to letting saslite know to use the rail extrussions (which are in a separate layer, by the way) as guides to generate fur?

I wonder if the Tutorial is right, or if it's been written in a way that might confuse the user (a newbie user ofcourse).

Please help.

Thanks.

JM

:confused:

caesar
08-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Sure, the tut is right. Maybe you forgot something

mrunion
08-02-2004, 07:51 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Sas is case sensitive. So when you specified your names ("hair, root") to Sas, if the names are not EXACTLY as they are on the guid polys it won't work.

hrgiger
08-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Have you applied them to the same layer that the guides are in?

MiniFireDragon
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Have you created them as a chain 2point poly or is it a bezier?? From what I read (never done it) Sas requires 2point poly chains, not a 2 point bezier line or curve.

chemaelizondo
08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Can anybody tell me what the diference is between 2point poly chains, and a 2 point bezier line?

This very well might be the answer to the whole thing!

Thanks

JM

hrgiger
08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Well, to make a 2 point poly chain you would of had to

A) use a plug in like curve2poly

or

B) Had a string of points, selected the first two, hit p to make a polygon, select another 2 and hit p to make a polygon, and so on down the chain.

If you still have curves, they won't render with Sas applied to them.

chemaelizondo
08-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Alright... I've got it !! (After burning out a few neurons).

Thanks to all those who helped.

(If anyody is in trouble with long hair, I might now be able to lend a hand).

JM:D

caesar
08-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Chemaelizondo, your signature is so great, I loved that movie "The Suspects" !!

chemaelizondo
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by caesar

I resently pulled that DVD from my collection and whatched that movie at night right before bed time, next morning I loged in and changed my signature to the one currently on.

Yea... I think that movie has become a classic.
And that phrase sums up the whole identity of Kayser Soze.

What is: Moro num pais tropical... anyway?

Cheers!

JM

GregMalick
08-04-2004, 04:40 PM
So was the problem layers, case sensitivity, or curve/2-pt polys? Or all/none of the above? :D

chemaelizondo
08-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Actually it was all of the avobe, the probloem is that when you have multiple problems to solve to achieve a single goal in an area that you know very little about you have to go through a trial and error phase in an orderly manner to rule out all the diferent posibilities.

In the end it did paid off.

Thanks

JM:D

hrgiger
08-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by caesar

Don't you mean the usual suspects ?

caesar
08-05-2004, 08:00 AM
"The Suspects" are the portuguese title translation (Os Suspeitos), i didnt remember the original one ;)

Moro num país tropical...I live in a tropical land...it´s a very popular song here in Brazil...

arisman
09-04-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm having the same problem following the saslite tute.

I've applied sas both as deform displacement AND pixel filter. The hair guide is in its own layer (I used curve2poly so I have 2-point polys named "hair" and 1-point polys named "root_hair").

When I render the frame, no hair is visible at all. What did do wrong?

Please take a look at my files.

chemaelizondo
09-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Have you try merging the one-point polygons with the root hair strands?
In my case thats how I solved it.

Good luck

JM

kate3078
09-20-2005, 06:45 AM
i am also having the problem that everyone else above has mentioned, however in my case i used the MGWizzyWig lscript to create my guides, so i cant see how they could be incorrectly made. can anybody help me?!??

lardbros
09-20-2005, 07:00 AM
You could always try putting up the hair size A LOT and see if you just haven't increased the values enough!

Otherwise, it's usually a pixel filter not being used that causes probs. Make sure it's in your image filter dialogue box. If not, select Sasqatch from the list.

Dodgy
09-20-2005, 08:54 AM
We discovered the problem with Kate's hair. It was that she'd used a scalp which already had morph targets on it.
Lw won't merge two points which have different positions in a morph target, so when the points were being made, they weren't getting merged.

Clear morphs from your scalp object before you begin, and then you'll be able to merge the points as per the tutorial.

kate3078
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
thanks again mike for all your help.

but i don't suppose anybody can explain this.... ???

:S!

http://myspace-761.vo.llnwd.net/00232/16/73/232963761_l.jpg

Dodgy
09-21-2005, 05:17 AM
I think you need to reduce your clump size and your lock size.. These control the proportional width of the hair compared to it's length.