PDA

View Full Version : High Definition resolution?

HowardM
03-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Bear with me, I havent seen the toaster since it was on the Amiga...but can the new Toaster do realtime High Definition (1080i) switching...
Can it handle realtime HiDef DVEs or Matte wipes?

Thanks!

kleima
03-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Not at the moment! Uncompressed SD, but not HD.
I sure wish it could! I don't know that HD switching would be important to me at this point, but HD editing would!
Maybe I'm naive, but with the Toaster's open architecture, support for multiple codecs, 16:9 aspect support, speed limited only by your CPU, and the bandwidth attainable with a 64 bit PCI bus, that it wouldn't be that difficult to throw in an HD codec.
Then, the only challenge would getting the HD footage unto the system (ie I/O card). But, from what I've heard about some of the things being released at NAB, it sounds like the DV codec is built to handle HD, and soon HD footage can be captured via Firewire as DV! So, cheap capture card options may be available sooner than we think!!
Newtek, I hope you've heard this, too??!! JVC has already announced a consumer level HD camcorder!

HowardM
03-31-2003, 10:52 PM
hmm thats too bad... I figured the Toaster was ahead of the pack when it came to things like that!

So what can do realtime HD transitions and the like?

kleima
04-03-2003, 10:08 PM
HDBOXX (by BOXX) does uncompressed HD editing at about the most affordable price available (50K). (The only one more affordable was DPS RealityHD, now owned by Leitch, but I've heard that it has been discontinued. It was about 25K. Both of these prices include the workstation that run the system, so for comparison, a turnkey Toaster is at about 10K.) HDBOXX is actually using Speed Razor for the editing software, so if you've been with the Toaster since 1.0 you will be very familiar with the interface.
It does not do HD transitions in real time, however. (It does render very fast, though.)
Other HD systems easily go above 100K, though. (ie. Sony's XPRI).
Some cheap software packages (such as Adobe Premier) claim to be able to edit HD footage, but have no way of capturing it.

vip3dran
04-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by kleima
HDBOXX (by BOXX) does uncompressed HD editing at about the most affordable price available (50K).

From what I understand, the HDboxx uses Speedrazor for it's editing platform. For those of us who experienced it with VTNT, all I can say is . . . YUCK! (and SR support is horrible too)

kleima
04-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, that is what I said:

Originally posted by kleima:

"HDBOXX is actually using Speed Razor for the editing software, so if you've been with the Toaster since 1.0 you will be very familiar with the interface."

Speed Razor is not bad once you get used to it. (Not as good at TEd, however.)
My experience with their tech support wasn't bad, either. The president or CEO or whatever he is (Jamie) even helped me solve a couple of my problems!

Faraz
04-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Doesn't Pinnacle make Cinewave that does HD, its around 25K.

kleima
04-04-2003, 03:27 PM
That could be, I haven't looked into any of their editing products.

eon5
05-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Cinewave works in mAC.

pn: SR & DF release a HD bundle.