PDA

View Full Version : SpinShift Modeling Videos: Modeling a Head

GabbiAngel
07-29-2004, 07:42 PM
It took me 12 hours to download the videos that were recommended to me. Well, I cant get past the first 10 seconds due to the fact that nothing is explained. Can someone tell me how to get started? I tried for a few hours to no avail. Ive added a picture to try to explain where Im stuck. If I cant get past this bit, 12 hours was wasted.
In the readme that was in the source files he said

"all modelling was done in LightWave 7.5 using smoothshift and spinquads with no other tools beside drag and move."

Doesnt explain much. Any help?

Thanks

Gabbi

GabbiAngel
07-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Here's the little bit Im talking about in GIF format, I hope the author doesnt mind. (If he does I'll just delete it when I get up)

Thanks for any feedback

Graphx
07-29-2004, 10:34 PM
1st hit the tab key
2nd hit ctrl + D or freeze the object
See if that gets you the right looking object
javascript:smilie(';)')
wink

Silkrooster
07-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Ok, Took me quite awhile to figure it out.
1) create your box
2) press "n" key to bring up the numeric panel for the box object.
3) where it says radius, set that value to 1 m
4) press the enter button on your keyboard or press the box button to deactivate it.
5) press the tab button on your keyboard.
6) enjoy your 9 poly per side object.

thekho
07-30-2004, 05:17 AM
Hit 'o' and change 6 to 3 Patch Divisions. And then make box, hit tab and freeze the mesh which you can see 9 squares.

GabbiAngel
07-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Has anyone actually done this tutorial? I've tried all suggestions and none work (or get the desired effect). Is there a big secret to modelling a head? hahha...

Gabbi

Trawler
07-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Yes, I used this tutorial to do my first head model. See this thread : http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21725

That part at the beginning with the Freeze took me a long time to figure out too. It's been several months since I did it, but if I remember right, I think I played with the subdivision level. I think I lowered the subdivision level to 2 (maybe?) before I did the freeze. And then put it back to 3 or more to finish the model. Anyway, sorry I can't be more help right now, I'm not at a PC with Lightwave. It is a good tutorial if you can get through that first part. Keep plugging away at it!! :)

ColinCohen
07-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Change the segments to 3 in the Box numeric, and don't freeze the mesh.

I've done this tutorial, and it's great. But he goes real fast, and sometimes I think he skips steps.

If you are relatively new to LW, hold off on this for while. It gets even more complicated. I had to stop and rewind many, many times. But it's worth it.

Silkrooster
07-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I have tried freezing the mesh in various ways all result in a mesh with more than 9 polys per side.
Increasing segments also does the same.

The only way that I have been able to create what your looking for is to increase the radius in the box numeric panel to 1 meter not 1 millimeter. Then use the tab key on the keyboard.
Also do not freeze the object, this just increases the polys. If you must freeze then set the patch division in the general option panel to 1. Any number higher than this will increase the number of polys.

Just follow the steps in my post above to get the disired result.

If you look closely at the animated gif above you will see the numeric panel for the box with the radius highlited and circled and has the value of 1 m in it. You will also see that the segments for x,y,and z all say 1.

One note: I am using ver 8, therefore it may be possible to get different result with ver 7.5, I doubt it, but possible.

Silkrooster
07-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I did some experimenting and I found another way to create the object of your desires.
1) Create Box
2) Subdivide Box
3) Select 1/2 of the polygons of the box in the back window
4)Smooth shift once. You can click the left or right mouse button once - Do not hold down button and drag.
5) move polys to the left
6) deselect polys
7) select bottom half of box in the back window
8) Smooth shift once
9) move polys down and deselect
10) select left half of box in the right window
11) Smooth shift once
12) move polys to the left and deselect
13) press tab
The following tools were used to create the ball
1) Create Box - Press Shift x to activate the tool
2) Subdivide - Press Shift d
3) Smooth Shift - Press shift f
4) move - press t

To deactivate the tool press the same command again, press enter or select another tool

Silkrooster
I would like to thank Dan Alban for the idea, as part of the above is used in his book - If you want to know more purchase his book "Inside Lightwave 8" and see how to model Proton's model

riki
07-30-2004, 07:43 PM
1. Create Box
2. Then hit 'o' key and Set 'Patch Division' to '3'
3. Then 'TAB' to convert to a SubPatch
4. Then 'Freeze'

and yur away.

Silkrooster
07-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Riki,
Your way does work. I tried it. I guess there are more than one way to do anything in LW.
So far yours is the fastest. Any takers on finding other ways. This makes a good learning experience.

GabbiAngel
07-31-2004, 09:30 AM
I got it finally! I didnt know that there was some steps missing in the tut and thought it just went from a box to the 9 square sides. I asked at renderosity and they helped too. So just make a box and in the numeric panel make sure all the sides are at 3. That worked, now Im on to the 2nd video in the tutorial.

There is lots of different ways to do things in Lightwave which is good!

Gabbi