PDA

View Full Version : TMPGEenc 3.0

randallstu
07-29-2004, 03:44 PM
I am using 2.521 TMPGEencoder and can't get DVDit SE 2.54 to read it and was wondering if anyone was using 3.0 Express with the VT3?
Randy

robewil
07-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Express 3.0 won't work with VT3 projects the way 2.5 will. It also requires your VT3 system to be connected to the Internet which is a big issue for me. Other than AC-3 encoding (with the optional plug-in), I didn't really see any advantage to 3.0 Express over 2.5.

mgrusin
07-29-2004, 04:45 PM
For those wanting AC3 on a budget, there's a workaround for using the Pegasys AC3 plugin as a standalone application:

The AC3 plugin includes a player application (not a very good one, but in any case...). Launch the player, and if you look closely, one of its buttons is encode. Hit encode, choose the AC3 plugin, and encode any WAV file(s) you like to AC3. Works great alongside TMPGEnc M2V's in the DVD authoring app of your choice.

Caveats: the plugin only encodes 2 channel AC3 (not 5.1 :( ), and as Robewill said, it does have a mostly unobtrusive but still unfortunate licensing scheme where it must connect to the internet for a few seconds every couple of weeks to make sure everything's legal. Not ideal, but for $30, a lot better than nothing.

-MG.

ScorpioProd
07-29-2004, 05:56 PM
But happily most authoring applications include AC-3 encoding nowadays anyway.

I understand using TMPGEnc 2.5 for better MPEG-2 video encoding, but AC-3 is AC-3.

And yes, there is NO advantage I know of for TMPGEnc 3.0 Express involving DVD production.

As for compatibility issues with TMPGEnc, well, be sure you have "Output closed GOP for edit", some authoring programs require that setting. Other than that, use the normal GOP configuration that comes with the NTSC DVD template.

And all the other many bits of advice in my article and the reference article also linked:

http://www.professionaleventvideo.com/tmpdirections.htm

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

randallstu
08-03-2004, 03:45 PM
M.G.
I have the AC3 plugin from TMPGEnc. First question, did you buy it without buying Express 3.0? If so, how did you get the license? 2nd: When I click on encode in the software and select AC3 encoding there is a window for encoding files but no way to load them in. How do you load in your files?
Randy

FishersOfMen
08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
While it is true that version 3 of tmpgenc is not much better than 2.5, i contacted the company about the registration requirements for version 3. I explained my issue that the device was not connected to the network, but we had already purchased version 3 and wondered if version 2.5 was just as good.

They were excellent in responding and gave me this info: Version 3.0 has a new interface and a few bells and whistles added on but the core is only minorly improved. The registration issue happens about every month or so and prompts you when it wants to renew, but does not kill functionality immediately. Connect to the internet and allow the registration to occur then disconnect the line. XP is much more forgiving about dropping network connections than other OS's. I have a switch that I connect a patch cable to when the software requires a registration check. I unplug the line when the registration completes. In a way I can't blame them for their resolution to piracy. I figure it this way - convenience and security are always at the opposite ends of the spectrum no matter what the issue.

I dont see where version 3 is a major upgrade at any rate, but wanted to provide this info for those who think about upgrading anyway. Hope this helps

GodSpeed~