PDA

View Full Version : Frelling Apple...

WShawn
07-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Well, the email I've been expecting and dreading came from Apple today:

"To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for ordering the new Dual 2.5GHz Power Mac G5!

The demand for this item has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly_as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your Power Mac on or before August 20th."

When Apple first announced that these G5s would be shipping in July, I joked to my wife that that would probably mean they'd ship them July 31st.

So, of course, when I ordered one on June 11th it showed a delivery date of July 30th. I would have ordered one on the day they were announced, but I was researching whether to go with the upgraded ATI card. (I did go with the ATI 9800, but now am wondering whether the nVidia card would be better for LW.)

Apple has us by the gonads, and they know it.

"If we do not hear from you prior to shipment, we will assume the revised date is acceptable, and will ship your order. We will notify you if there are any changes to the revised ship date. "

Right. Acceptable. After waiting this long for these systems, I'm going to cancel my order.

I'm resigned to the feeling that I won't be seeing my computer until September.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

riki
07-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Can't you pick one up from a retail outlet? I'd go to a authourized Apple Resellers and ask how soon can you get me one. If there's the prospect of taking your business elsewhere, the retailer might be able to give you some priority, pull some strings, have a spare out back, know a guy who knows a guy. Worth a try.

WShawn
07-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't think anyone is getting them. At least I've seen no confirmed sitings.

The main thing that ticks me off is that they waited until the day before the scheduled shipping to announce that they were delaying things three more weeks. You mean to tell me they just figured out today that these weren't going to be available until late August? I regularly checked my order status, and it had always given a July 30th ship date.

If they had told be three weeks ago that the ship date was going to be pushed back I wouldn't be so peeved. They build up your anticipation, then pull the rug out from under you. That's pretty crappy customer service.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, OR

Beamtracer
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
The delay was caused by problems at IBM's Fishkill processor factory, where the G5 processor is made.

IBM can easily churn out G5 processors, but this particular one required a 90 nanometer fabrication, which involved setting up a new assembly line. That's where the teething problems were.

Stay with your order, as you'd still be one of the first to receive one. There may be a back order at local resellers as well.

archiea
07-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by WShawn
Well, the email I've been expecting and dreading came from Apple today:

"To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for ordering the new Dual 2.5GHz Power Mac G5!

The demand for this item has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly_as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your Power Mac on or before August 20th."

When Apple first announced that these G5s would be shipping in July, I joked to my wife that that would probably mean they'd ship them July 31st.

So, of course, when I ordered one on June 11th it showed a delivery date of July 30th. I would have ordered one on the day they were announced, but I was researching whether to go with the upgraded ATI card. (I did go with the ATI 9800, but now am wondering whether the nVidia card would be better for LW.)

Apple has us by the gonads, and they know it.

"If we do not hear from you prior to shipment, we will assume the revised date is acceptable, and will ship your order. We will notify you if there are any changes to the revised ship date. "

Right. Acceptable. After waiting this long for these systems, I'm going to cancel my order.

I'm resigned to the feeling that I won't be seeing my computer until September.

Shawn Marshall

hey Shawn,

I'm sorry for your situation, but try to think of it this way.....

Apple releases a new series of G5, one of which has been well documented as being the victim of supplier delays. compound that with the high demand. Realistically speaking, its going to be a hit or miss regarding the shipping date. If getting a G5 was such an immediate issue, then you could have explored the dual 2ghz, as it was already a proven model. But if you wanted the latest, one has to understand that the bleeding edge carries a price.

Another thing I don't understand regarding your logic is the desire to cancel the order. its either of teo things: One, that the importance of getting the G5 ASAP must be inconsequential, as you would voluntarily be knocking yourself out of one queue, just to start at the end of the line with a new queue, i.e. a new retailer. or Two, getting a 2.5 ghz G5, in itself, isn't important, at least at this time, as you seem ready to just 'give up' on ordering one. Either of which making your post moot, unless it was just to state that Apple was, yet again, late...

Well the reality almost everything is late: LW 8, Most of Apple cutting edge/highend machines, the new Ford thunderbird...

i ordedred my BTO PB in june, right smak in the middle of its cycle, and before any market demand, i.e. back to school or the holidays. It came a full week before Apple's estimated shipping date... Why? The machine had already meet market demand.

had I ordered a week after it was release, I'd be getting emails from apple, too... but I wouldn't have been surprised...

Good luck with your order.....

chrisdude0000
07-29-2004, 11:51 PM
when I ordered my dual 2Ghz G5 I ordered it the day after the announcment and my G5 was supposed to ship I think sept if I can rem sept or august and anyways my delivery date was say sept 29th and it was the 28th and at like 10 minutes after 12 on the 29th now they changed my date over. THey waited until it was actually my shipping day to inform me. you might even get another push back. I got I think 2 push backs but I finnaly got it and there isnt anything you can do just wait.

WShawn
07-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi:

I understand that production problems at IBM are making those processors scarce, and I can live with such delays. Really.

As I mentioned above, my beef isn't so much with the actual delay. My beef is with how Apple announced the delay. I just think it's tacky to inform someone, a day before they were expecting a product to be shipped, that that product won't be shipped for another three weeks.

Production delays happen; Apple can't control all of that. But they should have control of their customer service. If they had informed me of the delay three weeks ago, I wouldn't be so perturbed. But they really have no incentive to provide good customer service. If you want a Mac, you have to buy it from Apple (or a reseller.)

I can live with my Dual Gig G4 for a few more weeks. But it's a little like being told on December 24th that Christmas has been pushed back to January 14th.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall

Jimzip
07-30-2004, 04:12 AM
Is around August 20 really that long to wait?

Jimzip :D

noiseboy
07-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Shawn, are you one of the lucky ones? seems like Apple were overcautious maybe....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=575

sjon
08-02-2004, 07:57 PM
If you opt out, you might have along wait. I went through the same routine (Sorry, but due to demand...) but then got a revised email. My G5 is on the way. I even have a tracking number. Right now it is arriving at Anchorage, Alaska from Shenzhen, China (just Northwest of Hong Kong). WHAT??? CHINA??? Yep, "Made in China." Should be here in Austin, Texas by Wednesday, says FedEx. I think some store employees freaked out and Stevie Jay was too ill to go and knock them upsides the head. We should all have learned patience with LW8's release (shucks, I waited for 26 months for Matrox to update their RTMac card to run under OSX and now it won't run on a G5 and they won't bother to support it). So hang in there. dude, it will be owrth the wait.

Sjon

monovich
08-05-2004, 03:11 PM
My friend recieved his dual 2.5 today. Here's the kicker, he got two by accident. I'm begging him to sell it to me so that I can turn around and put it on ebay and make a quick buck. He doesn't seem that interested in doing it himself. A friend of his had the same thing happen, for some reason Apple seems to be shipping them out in pairs to some people.

weird.

sjon
08-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, Fed Ex says mine will arrive tomorrow. Would be nice if they sent me two, I'd hook them together, strap on a crash helmet and go out to break the sound barrier. I'll be happy if even one arrives tomorrow. It was shipped last Friday, sat in China until yesterday, came to Ankhorage (sp?) AL yesterday, was sent to Indianapolis where it cleared Customs and the F.D.A. inspection (what is THAT about?), left Indianapolis and went to Memphis and is supposed to arrive in Austin tomorrow. **** machine has more miles on it than I do. When it arrives, I'm gonna put LW8 through its paces. No more envying big P.C. users. Now they can envy me for a while (they probably won't, but hey, it's the thought that counts).

WShawn
08-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Monovich:

It's interesting that some people are receiving two computers. I placed my order on the web on June 11th. When I went to check the order status later that week, the order was listed twice, but it showed the first one as "cancelled." The second listing was identical, except it gave the July 30 shipping date. I wonder if that's what happened to others, resulting in two computers being shipped.

Did they charge him for two computers?

Shawn Marshall

monovich
08-06-2004, 10:00 AM
yes they charged him for two.

He sold the 2nd one to his cousin. :(

*sigh*

sjon
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Mind arrived today. There was only one. Someone else must have got the other one. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do with my one and only super-duper, water cooled, red hot, pocket rocket.

Sjon

Zarathustra
08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
You sons of *! I ordered when they were released and got that same email telling me I have to wait for the end of the month and now I find out some people have already received theirs?! WTF?!!

Ok, I'm angry now. Balls.

sjon
08-10-2004, 10:47 AM
It's obvious what "*" means and I resent your slur on my mother. Your problem is with Apple, not with us.:mad:

Zarathustra
08-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Don't get your panties in a bind. No one has a d a m n sense of humor around here, despite the "frelling" in the subject of this thread.

Also, "you" could have been Apple's employees, IBM, shipping, etc.

Obvious or not, the truth is you have no proof what I intended with "*". You should be ashamed of yourself for both the direction your mind went AND your quickness to jump to conclusions about my intent and my target(s) of ire.