PDA

View Full Version : fPrime problem?

andromeda_girl
07-29-2004, 01:18 PM
i realize this is not an fPrime forum but there does not seem to be anywhere else to post this.

has anyone else noticed that if you use fPrime, it affects your model so it cannot be opened by anyone who does not use fPrime?

i know it sounds wierd, but i came across this the other day and thought it might be a bug or something.
unless there is some kind of weird thing i have to do with fPrime, like load it in modeler or somtheing.
BTW, talking about opening the model in modeler, not in layout, where fPrime would be used.

it seems to me that fprime is considered a shader and not merely a viewing tool. that would explain why it cannot be opened if you don't have it,but is not fPrime a viewing tool?
a renderer, and not a shader? seems silly to me.

Dodgy
07-29-2004, 01:36 PM
It needs to have the shader so the renderer can 'see' the surfaces. It should still load in other people's LW, you just have to click 'no' to all the requests to load the shader from disk.. A bit annoying :P

richdj
07-29-2004, 01:41 PM
You should be able to open the scene up, but you need to keep going through the pop-up windows that ask if you want to load FPrime (click 'no' on the first window, then the only option on the second), which is a pain if you have alot of surfaces in your original scene.

I think, and I've not tried it so let me know if it works. If you remove the FPrime plugin in the master plugin file window (not actually delete the plugin from LW). This should then allow you to open it up in a non-FPrime Layout, without continually asking if you want to load FPrime...

Let me know if it works?

Rich

andromeda_girl
07-29-2004, 01:46 PM
well i loaded it into modeler and now the model opens up.
i find it pretty bizarre.

before i did load it though, i DID try hitting no on all the millions of requesters and it still didn't open.
at the end of all the no's, it then told me i was missing an fPrime shader.

go figure.

not overly impressed by this sort of thing, but now that i loaded the renderer into modeler (weird!) it now works properly.

i can't help but feel i messed up my LW now.
a render in the modeler... wow. now my LW is similar to max or maya or soft. just what i never want it to be.

hrgiger
07-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by andromeda_girl

not overly impressed by this sort of thing, but now that i loaded the renderer into modeler (weird!) it now works properly.

i can't help but feel i messed up my LW now.
a render in the modeler... wow. now my LW is similar to max or maya or soft. just what i never want it to be.

FPrime works in modeler??

andromeda_girl
07-29-2004, 04:35 PM
no, fPrime does not work in modeler.
but if you save a model after using fPrime (in layout) what happens is the next time you open the model in modeler it asks for the plugin.
it seems to be shader related. apparantly you can opt out of it but it didn't work for me.
i loaded the plugins into modeler and now i don't have the trouble anymore.

Aegis
07-29-2004, 05:19 PM
FPrime comes with a "Strip FPrime Shaders" plugin which you can use to uh... strip the FPrime shaders from your surfaces :)

andromeda_girl
07-30-2004, 12:56 PM
well i installed it in modeler and now everything is cool
wish fPrime rendered your lights (glow, flares, etc)

hrgiger
07-30-2004, 03:49 PM
I've only ever installed Fprime in Layout and the only time I get a load error in modeler is after I have done a Windows reinstall and have not yet reinstalled the Fprime plug-in.
I just gave out a free model recently and because I had used Fprime to do a few test renders, people told me they were getting an Fprime error when they loaded it. I just went into the surface edtior and removed it from the shader tab and then resaved the file.