PDA

View Full Version : Creeping pixels in video output...

starbase1
07-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi All,
I've got a problem with some animation I have put to DVD.

There are several scenes where the viewpoint closes in on a planet, and not unaturally, these move very slowly. The problem is that at points where the edge is almost vertical or horizontal, I get a rather noticable creep along the point where it crosses to a new row of pixels.

I've already increased the anti-aliasing level to medium, but that only made it creep more smoothly.

Short of moving more rapidly, I'm at a loss as to how to eliminate this effect. Anyone got any ideas? I can't really add an atmospheric glow to soften the edge, as the bodies include the moon, and I am going for realism here.

Cheers,
Nick
:rolleyes:

Mylenium
07-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Well, your problem doesn't seem to be rendering related. Most likely it's a block from a MPEG P-frame that coincides with your edges. There isn't really a way to get rid of these unless you use a very good encoder and eventually tweak the vector matrices.

Mylenium

starbase1
07-30-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't think its an artefact of the compresion. I've tried all my prefered ones, and it won't go away - and anyway the end result will go to DVD, so I'm lumbered with that compression in the last step...

Though I am actually using very low compression, then recompressing when the dvd is authored. I can't find out what the settings are to write the animation out directly in 'native' dvd format.

I'm pretty sure that its the result of shallow curves moving slowly across pixels though...

Thanks for the idea
Nick