PDA

View Full Version : Free stuff | Jeanphi's Rigging notes : Rigs : Character Models (French & English)

omeone
07-29-2004, 05:40 AM
If anyone remembers THIS (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1555&perpage=15&pagenumber=2) thread, here are the notes in both French and English and some more sample rigs and models to go along with them.

http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/
(sorry the rest of the site is not up to much yet)

Big thanks to Jean-Philippe Savariault for sharing and Samuel Kvaalen for translating!

Enjoy :)

edit: forgot to say: there is some javascript used for navigation some firewalls dont like it :( also, I havnt checked the pages in other browsers than IE, so if there are any errors let me know and I'll get em sorted

Robi
07-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Cool, Thanks :cool:

A very nice rig, but I am more impressed by the weightmaps, they are the best I ever saw.
Now I have something to analyse.

omeone
07-29-2004, 07:19 AM
yeah, you can really twist her up nice :) check out the morph maps aswell, there are some interesting ones in there...

jeanphi has indicated he might write some notes on weighting and texturing too :cool:

Robi
07-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by omeone
jeanphi has indicated he might write some notes on weighting and texturing too :cool: I am looking forward to that :D

Phil
07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
It throws an error here related to that navigation system (java). I'm somewhat surprised as this is the first java applet to break firefox; I don't have access to IE.

Unfortunately, without that navigation system, it's impossible to do much more than view the first page - any chance you might provide an alternative? Failing that, a ZIP download so that any affected can manually browse the site content would be appreciated.

Robi
07-30-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Phil
Failing that, a ZIP download so that any affected can manually browse the site content would be appreciated. You can download the zip here IK_Test.zip (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1555&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

omeone
07-30-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Phil
It throws an error here related to that navigation system (java). I'm somewhat surprised as this is the first java applet to break firefox; I don't have access to IE.

Unfortunately, without that navigation system, it's impossible to do much more than view the first page - any chance you might provide an alternative? Failing that, a ZIP download so that any affected can manually browse the site content would be appreciated.

cheers for the heads up, I'm not a web-head, and definitely not much with Javascript, so I wont be attempting to fix it. I will make up a html navigation tree ASAP.

In the meantime here's the files for you to have a look at - there's a little more than posted on the original thread and some minor enhancements (Ive had to WinRAR inside a Zip to get it to post here)

(thanks for helping out Robi!)

jeanphi
07-30-2004, 04:09 PM
...so now I have to do something about weights and UV...
I will show some usefull tips and my workflow...
Stay tuned!

omeone
07-31-2004, 03:29 AM
sweeeet :)

I'd be delighted to host them for you again. :cool:

Phil
08-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks for that, it is much appreciated. Now to take a look :D

riki
08-01-2004, 06:38 PM
sweet, many thanks for that

omeone
08-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks Riki, No problems on a Mac setup?

@Phil, HERE (http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/html_en/content/html.htm)'s a html version of the navigation tree just for you :) the reason I have them designed that way (frames and java) is to prevent leeching, fortunately you're the only one to report a problem so far.

(but that might have something to do with the fact that I dont have any contact details up on site yet ;) )

Cobalt
08-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Somebody please tell me that Jean-Philippe has the best Lightwave job there is in Paris! His model & rig is the best I have ever seen or used. This guy is clearly a pro! What an inspiration to those of us still trying to figure out the character set-up process in Lightwave.

Thanks for sharing your insights Jean-Philippe!

omeone
09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
I agree Cobalt, I dont know if he has the best job in Paris (or where ever he lives in Le France) I do know he works very hard though, and the time he has taken to share this is very generous.

anyway UPDATE

Just a note to say that the zip download with this tutorial has been updated to include more rig variations and test cases.

And also has been updated from an HTML point of view, to make them more accesible to everyone.

http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/

aren't these bords looking rather sexy then :)

Big Jay
09-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Downloads and resources pages do not load

I was hoping to see some of the rigs but only found the model file no scenes

blabberlicious
09-22-2004, 01:45 AM
This is a FANTASTIC rig - simple to work with and beautifully produced.

If NT had included it on the Bonus CD - it might have encouraged people to actually experiment with some character animation..
...although after a few hours using the dopesheet, they'd probably prefer firefighting as a career :-)

omeone
09-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Big Jay,
no the downloads and resources pages might never work :o

the sample pack is at the end of the tutorial here:
http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/workin_ik.html

Big Jay
09-23-2004, 07:29 AM
thanks,

The seperate locations confused me a bit. I was so busy reading the tut I missed the side bar attachment.

Great info.

omeone
09-23-2004, 07:39 AM
no problems,

I probably should put that file pack at the very top though, since the whole point of the notes is to explain how those rigs work.

If you dont have the pack and havn't tested the rigs, you're probably not going to bother reading the tutorial :o

Thanks Big Jay, I'll fix it now....