PDA

View Full Version : going between LW and Max using the DXF file format

3dgirl
07-28-2004, 11:04 PM
i am starting a project in which i am getting files modelled in 3d stud max, importing them into LW, animating them, and then returning them to max.

Any hints on what formats to use/ how to go about this would be appreciated!

Currently they have given me the max file as a DXF file. I have tried to open it in modeler but the file opens with no visible layers.
Is there such a thing as a DXF importer? Or should i be able to open it like i would a LWO? I read somewhere that LW runs into problems if the DXF file has too many polygons. Is that the problem?

Also what's the best way to export a scene file from Lightwave so that max can read it? What happens to plug-ins such as camera "Jolt! " when you convert?

thanks!

3dgirl
07-28-2004, 11:35 PM
ok nevermind about the DXF import- did some searches on this forum and found the answer- there's a problem with DXF imports from max to LW 7.5-of course! but using the Dstorms free importer from Flay.com gets around this.

still interested in hearing peoples tips for the other questions though!

Mylenium
07-29-2004, 12:43 AM
The only way to transfer animation would be FBX or one of the dedicated conversion programs (which need to be installed on the machine that runs MAX to make use of it). You would of course have to bake all keyframes that are generated by plugins and you would still loose some animation, surfaces and all displacement effects. The most viable solution is using placeholders in your LW Scene, export that scene and export all objects as OBJ files from Modeler and once imported into MAX parent them to the placeholders or copy the animation controllers. Still, it would be much wiser to do everything in LW once you have all data there.

Mylenium

Triple G
07-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Next Limit (http://www.nextlimit.com) used to offer a set of plugins called lw2max which would allow you to exchange animated geometry and camera information, but I can't seem to find any info on it at their site, so I'm wondering if it's even still available.

Another commercial option you could try would be Polytrans (http://www.okino.com/default.htm) . I've tried the demo, and it works very well...they have a very good reputation and have years of experience ensuring that their translators work efficiently and predictably. A little pricey, but worth it if you're going to be doing a lot of this sort of thing.

Unless you absolutely have to, I'd recommend basically any format other than DXF for doing what you're trying to do. DXFs typically are overly dense meshes, which require quite a bit of cleanup when brought into LW from other packages. Especially if you're going to be animating them in LW, you'll want something relatively clean that you can work with with not too much effort. My recommendation would be to try something like .3ds or .obj. As mylenium suggested, .fbx may also be a viable option for moving between the two packages. Definitely worth grabbing the (free) plugins from Kaydara's site and giving them a go.