PDA

View Full Version : animating skytracer 2

padgo
07-28-2004, 06:12 PM
hey i was wondering how i can animate skytracer 2, using lightwave 8. I have made a nice desert and i want to have clouds moving accross the project.

any help would be greatley appreciated

Silkrooster
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
I was having similar problems. Mine was animating the sun. Took me quite awhile to figure out how to get the sun into camera view. But I did it. I tried animating the sun trying to move it upwards on the Y axis. I placed a key frame at zero and another keyframe at 60. When I play the animation I see the sun moving upward for a very short period, as a matter of fact the travel is not as far as I set it. At this point I am assuming the sun is working in real time, therefore not moving much. The problem is when I render the animation, the sun does not move at all. The value for Y axis is the same when rendering.
Perhaps someone could explain a little more about how skytracer works. Also would you recommend using a different light instead of the sun for animation. I too would be interested in how to animate clouds.
Thanks in advance
Silkrooster

Update: I just did another test render and I can see a small light in the middle of the sun moving upward on the Y axis. But the sun it self is stationary. The light is moving from the bottom of the sun to the top of the sun.
Also the key frame mentioned above is 120 not 60.

BeeVee
07-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Use the time lapse function in ST2...

B

Silkrooster
07-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks Ben, that did the trick. Now the sun moves, however it is moving on the X axis rather than the Y axis. I did not see anyway to change this. If there is no way to do this now then perhaps it should go on the wish list for the next upgrade. Moving in the Y axis is great for sunrises and sunsets.
I found out what the little light in the middle of the sun that was moving was. I had somehow changed the lens flare for the sun. It was the flare that was moving to the keyframe. Once I deleted the keyframe and turned off the lens flare, the sun works nicely from left to right in the scene. An animated sun really enhances the background of my little experiment.
I have attached an avi file using divx codec and the scene files. For anyone who want to complain about how bad I am;) (just remember I have been using LW since this spring so don't expect too much) or beginners who wish to examine it. The land scape is to use saslight. I had turned it off by unchecking the pluging in the object properties, to speed up rendering, also render quality has been reduced to 50% in the camera properties.
I had noticed though that there are no envelope buttons for animating the clouds, so it looks like another wish list item.

Silkrooster
07-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Edit: I meant the sun travels right to left. Please don't make me carry a rock in my hand.:D

BeeVee
07-30-2004, 01:47 AM
It doesn't actually matter how far away the light representing the sun is actually a distant light. If you want to have more dramatic sunrises/sets just bring up the edges of your landscape...

For animating the clouds, use the texture option and move the texture...

B

Silkrooster
07-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Ben, I finally tried your suggestion, and sure enough the clouds move.:D
On about the sun, I feel like an idiot. I did not see the envelope button side of the lattitude and longitude. Now I can make the sun go up, down, left or right or on a nice arc.
Oh, well - Thanks for your help Ben, this has been a nice learning experience.
Silkrooster

Silkrooster
08-01-2004, 02:04 AM
OK, I am going to post an updated render of the one I posted above. This version also is using the divx codec. It is rendered at 640x480. I have the saslight turned on so you can see the grass on the landscape. The clouds are moving as well as the sun. Mind you that the clouds and the sun are traveling farely quickly. As the time frame is 4 seconds.

padgo
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
all i want to do is get the clouds to move across the scene, anyone have some very simple ideas how to do this?

Silkrooster
08-11-2004, 12:46 AM
If you look at the animation I posted above, you will see that the clouds will move across the screen. It was mentioned earlier by BeeVee that for the clouds to move, you must change the movement of the textures. So open up the skytracer 2 panel, click on the clouds panel. Click where it says texture. Now the surface editor will open up. At the lower right part of the panel you will see some tabs. Click on the position tab. Below the tabs, you will see X, Y, and Z positions. Just to the right of these are Buttons with the E label on them. When you click on the E button a graph editor will open. Which button you choose will determine what direction the clouds will travel. Also you can use negitive values to move in the other direction.
In this editor, just set the key and value for keyframe zero. Then set a value and key for the last keyframe in your animation.
I recommend that you read in your manual about the surface editor and the graph editor. This will tell you more about how to change these settings.
If I missed a step, I appologize as I am not near my system as I write this. So I am going through these step mearly by memory. Which is not always that good.;)