PDA

View Full Version : Architectural for advertising sign

nthused
07-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Did this model, render and composite over the weekend.
LW 7.5c, Fprime, Photoshop

John Fornasar
07-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Nice work (and fast)...

two minor crits that you may get from the client -

I'd get rid of the (what looks like) the jet vapor stream in the middle of the sky - realistic, but it cuts the frame.

and I'd move the gold VW bug over a few feet. It looks like he parked right up to the SUV, blocking the driver's side door - also realistic, there never seems to be a lack of inconsiderate idiots, but it makes the parking area look crowded.

Two questions... the tree (on the left) and the flowers - both clip maps?

Bytehawk
07-28-2004, 04:45 PM
really nice render.

ditto crits by John

look at the jet vapour, go a little to the left to the top of the frame, There seems to be a tiling problem for the sky, the very light cloud is cut off too sudden. I'd fix it with the clone tool in photoshop.

Ade
07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by nthused
Did this model, render and composite over the weekend.
LW 7.5c, Fprime, Photoshop

Nthused thats excellent...What would be really nice is a late afternoon shot with dimmer bluer lighting... But I love it.
Can I ask though, could you post some wire layout shots so I can see your lighting setup..

ingo
07-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Nicely done and good lighting. Just add a surrounding reflection map of a city to make the windows more realistic. And a usual mistake, turn down the reflection of the cars. Otherwise nice image.

nerdyguy227
07-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Green circle- The cloud seems to have an immeadiat cut.

Red circle- It looks too unsupported. I would suggest putting a steel bar of some sort.

Orange arrow- There is no reflection of any expected items in that type of scene. I would try putting a one polygon square off screen with a picture of a rode and buildings or a field facing the windows.

Yellow arrow- The grass looks too consistant in hight and on the edge. I suggest using saslight to simulate a relistic grass area.

Other than that I think this is a really good image!

Good work!!!:)

nerdyguy227
07-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Sorry, forgot the image with the circles and arrows :) :

Ade
07-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Id love to see how you done this great scene...

nthused
08-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Wow. Thanks all for the great replies. Sorry it's taken so long - been updating this image and working on another job.

Here's a wire frame of the shot in perspective view with targets turned on.

Light:
One Area light (Sign graphic used a Distant light). "Sunspot" was used for placement of the light. Scaled the light to 150 in size for the soft morning shadows. FPrime was used for the renders with MonteCarlo GI and 3 bounces. Ambient set to 5% and light blue (6500K)

All plants are clipmaps from Marlin Studios
Automobiles are from DoschDesign

I don't like my grass at all. But given the choice between FPrime's speed and SASLite...

nthused
08-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Another image.

nthused
08-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Front view...

nthused
08-02-2004, 06:16 AM
Another...

nthused
08-02-2004, 06:18 AM
And finally...

nerdyguy227
08-02-2004, 02:03 PM
on that last picture it seems like the trees on the left of the building are making a shadow coming out of the buildings shadow. I don't think this would happen in real life because the trees are fully covered in the building's shadow.

nthused
08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
on that last picture it seems like the trees on the left of the building are making a shadow coming out of the buildings shadow. I don't think this would happen in real life because the trees are fully covered in the building's shadow.

Perhaps. Kind of tough for me to tell from that angle - take a look at the shadow from the drive-thru area roof - The shadows from the trees may be accurate.
Good eye though. Appreciate your input.
Client called back - wants 2-more shots that require alittle more modeling and an overnight render so things are changing anyway.

John Fornasar
08-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey, just noticed... the trunks are missing from all the "rounded" trees in the distant shots...
Personally, I wouldn't rerender, just paint a trunk line in Photoshop.

nthused
08-03-2004, 05:56 AM
Thanks, John. Actually, I had to re-render last night to add a couple more shots - so no pain there. I also edited the background tree image so it was seemless. those trees are far off in the distance and must have a lot of ground cover because cannot see any trunk lines on them - to be expected though at that distance.

Here's a couple of the new shots.

nthused
08-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Another.

nthused
08-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Last one.

nerdyguy227
08-03-2004, 09:45 AM
What are your systom specs and how long did it take to render?

nthused
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
What are your systom specs and how long did it take to render?

Dell 2.4GHz PIV, 1GB RAM. FPrime 1.02. 10.6 passes on 6 frames took about 10 hours. (8PM to 6AM)
To reduce rendering time:
*changed light from 'Area' to 'Distant' type
*changed Monte Carlo radiosity to 1-bounce @ 145% strength & set ambient to 15%
*reduced resolution to 800x600
*reduced ray recursion to 10 (could have gone lower on this)

Julie_Boland
08-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Hi nthused.

I love your images. Some very nice work there! :D

Ade
08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Nthused these are excellent, so would love to learn from u.. get the waver community upping the archi world in quality.

nthused
08-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Julie_Boland
Hi nthused.

I love your images. Some very nice work there! :D

Thanks, Julie. BTW, love your sense of humor ("TreeDee"). Very punny...

Same goes for Ade..."real estate agent" :-)

These late nights - got to laugh at something...