PDA

View Full Version : Which is Best LW8 Video Card?

timtobrien
07-28-2004, 09:33 AM
I currently have a Nvidia 4 900 XGL 128Mg AGP 4x in my Dell 530 Workstation with VT3. I am going to add a second computer that does nothing but LW8.

The machine I am expecting will be an Intel P3Ghz Hyper-Thread with 2GB ram and a pair of Raid SATA Hard drives and AGP8x (AGP V3) and XP Pro.

What I am looking for is a video card that works exceptionally with LW8 and I can still do things like gaming. The card also needs to have dual monitor capability also...

I am considering ATI RADEON 9800 PRO but would love to hear other options... I am also interested in knowing if 128mg vs 256mg will make much difference.

Thanks for any info!

Parallax
07-31-2004, 09:16 PM
I plan a new system (eventually). So I track opinions on graphics cards and LW. Of course there are essentially 2 camps: nVidia and ATI. I have read quite a few opinions in the forums stating that nVidia has better drivers with respect to LW.

Since you are looking for a combo (i.e., run games also), you might explore the GeForce 6800 Ultra as a possibility.

I would be interested on any opinions from the pros regarding using this powerful "gaming" card as a fast LW card.

Liber777
08-31-2004, 10:44 AM
At a better price than the Ultra, I would recommend the nVidia 6800 GT. Same card and fast memory, but at a slower clock rate. This thing will stomp all over all the previous nVidia models and also tops the current high-end ATI card, as well as having far more robust OpenGL drivers than ATI.

~Stivan