PDA

View Full Version : Add A Section To The Lw Forum!!!

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 08:37 PM
It seems that Lightwave is somewhat of a background tool that is used in a lot of game development, but to find any information you really have to dig. I think that there should be a "Game Development" section in this forum. Right now any thread started on the topic gets littered with so much different information and it all gets lost. I think a forum would help the people interested in game development using Lightwave, and would promote future use of Lightwave in game development. Besides, even if it didnt have many visitors, it would still have more than the "Contest Zone"...?

Voice your opinion!

Signal to Noise
07-27-2004, 09:52 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!:)

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
WHO VOTED NO!?!?

robewil
07-27-2004, 10:53 PM
I voted no because game development is just one of many mediums where Lightwave is used, each having their own particular questions, techniques and pitfalls.

If there is a Game Development section, I guess we also need sections for:

Film
Television
High Resolution Printing
Worldwide Web
DVD
CD

And while were at it, let's breakdown the different uses of Lightwave

Character Animation
Anime
Architecture
Landscapes
Special Effects
Vehicular
Medicine
Sci-Fi
Simulations
...and many more

I think the topics on this forum are broken up enough.

Barred
07-28-2004, 03:37 AM
Rob, I can see your point but it is a matter of perception and the percieved view is that LW is not used that much in games.

I even had to use my personal copy in the last coding house that I worked for, as LW was percieved as not up to the job by the bean counters and when they did see it running it was a matter of " we have invested so heavilly into Max that we are not going to change".

Hopefully NT will push the games side more in thier advertising, that is why I agree with an addition to the forum to put in front of people that LW is not just for TV and Film or arcutecture (sp).

These days games are not a dirty little secret that people hide.

Exper
07-28-2004, 03:56 AM
Agree!

Originally posted by Barred
Hopefully NT will push the games side more in thier advertising, that is why I agree with an addition to the forum to put in front of people that LW is not just for TV and Film or arcutecture (sp).

These days games are not a dirty little secret that people hide. But... NT should:
1) code/include more integrated Importer/Exporter for games datas
2) more game related tools

Far from having it next month! :(

Matt
07-28-2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by robewil
I voted no because game development is just one of many mediums where Lightwave is used, each having their own particular questions, techniques and pitfalls.

If there is a Game Development section, I guess we also need sections for ... I think the topics on this forum are broken up enough.

What he said! :)

hrgiger
07-28-2004, 04:19 AM
I say go ahead and add a games section and then take out either general support or the tips and tricks section becasue people don't seem to differentiate between the two anyway and pretty much use them the same.

theo
07-28-2004, 04:35 AM
In some respects it does appear that a lot of issues, problems, techniques are cross-application.

In other words, the result or assistance that comes out of these forums that will benefit a game developer may actually end up benefiting other users in a totally different application OR end up adding to the knowledge base of said users.

So this meshing of information is actually really important and I would strongly advise against it especially since we are not talking about a Microsoft-sized user base. It really is pretty slim here at times so it isn't like there is a serious problem with information overload.

I understand your quandry though and I wonder if maybe a new system of searching could be set up that allows for quicker access to the information you are seeking. Just a thought. Maybe someone could help Newtek design a custom web application to facilitate this.

Barred
07-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Exper
Agree!
But... NT should:
1) code/include more integrated Importer/Exporter for games datas
2) more game related tools

Far from having it next month! :(

I totally agree and they should brag about it in thier advertising. The trouble with NT (and I do not mean this as a critisism(sp)) is that because of the power of the Toaster, most of NT's marketing is aimed at the video preduction market, whilst this was fine when LW was only part of the Toaster suit since it (LW) has been seperate (as well as part of the suit) NT have not really pushed it out side thier tradition market. This may be different in NA but it does not seem so in Europe.

NT has some great tools in LW it is a shame that it is a semi secret.

Lamont
07-28-2004, 09:41 AM
It's a great idea, but I doubt it will happen. Hopefully there will be an update to the Unreal export... much needed.

robewil
07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Barred
Rob, I can see your point but it is a matter of perception and the percieved view is that LW is not used that much in games. Okay, maybe so, but do you really think adding a new topic called "Game Development" on the Newtek forum will change that perception?

somnambulance
07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
If there is a Game Development section, I guess we also need sections for: ...

Rob, I can see that breaking things up more would start to become cluttered. However, your examples are all really similar; Film, Television, DVD are all about the same outputs even from program to program even Mac or pc. High res printing... world wide web... CD! come on... any of that really does have a home at the WIP section, and any questions anyone would have can and do get answered there. Also you can easily find literature on any of those subjects.

Maybe I am blind to the information about game development and it is a lot simpler that it appears or maybe you just don’t know how Lightwave can be used to make games.

I have a lot of questions and topics that I want to discuss related to game development, but there is not a home for such a thread as of now with this forum. For example, there is nowhere to discuss: Game engines that export to Lightwave, Lightwave plugins for engines, the creation and use of displacement maps in game engines, HDRI lighting in game engines, cinematics, low poly modeling, UV maps to game engines, next generation game engines that will use Lightwave, resolution of textures for different game engines… I could keep going, for a long time.

There are other sites with great forums that provide lots of information, but digging through those to find info about Lightwave integration is very time consuming, and you usually come out empty handed.

somnambulance
07-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Okay, maybe so, but do you really think adding a new topic called "Game Development" on the Newtek forum will change that perception?

If there isnt a new topic called "Game Developement", we will never know the answer to that question.

robewil
07-28-2004, 10:49 AM
I don't want to start a war here. This is not a subject where I have a passionate opinion so if the majority of the Lightwavers disagree with me, that's perfectly okay. I was mostly responding to your "WHO VOTED NO!?!?" post.

And no, I'm not very familiar with game development but you are incorrect in your thinking if you think that using Lightwave for the topics I mentioned earlier (TV, Film, etc) are so similar,.

meshmaster
07-28-2004, 11:07 AM
a gaming section would be cool!!! The idea for more/better exporters would be good too... I think that it's a really great idea and a market that newtek needs to look at... I think they could pull a lot more game developers in to the lightwave user ranks than they can churches in the toaster ranks for that genesis thing.

somnambulance
07-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Rob, I do appreciate your debate (its not a war). What I do now is film and television, I am fairly new to LW, but it seems like everything needs to be output in a video format, either a movie or prepared for Shake or whatnot, it is all really similar (to me at least). With print, it seems that everything must be rendered to an image format, probably for Photoshop, again really similar.

There are a lot of people on this forum that can answer questions with any of those topics. If someone were to ask a question about games, it will get buried under all the other things before it gets answered. I don’t know about you, but I don’t do searches for questions to answer. I usually only answer questions on fresh topics that are near the top of the list. I think a game development section wouldn’t have as many users, but the topic wouldn’t get buried under the more popular threads.

Again, I do appreciate the debate.

robewil
07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by somnambulance
Again, I do appreciate the debate. So do I. My apologies for using the term war. It's just that I was finding myself getting in a defensive mode for my point of view (my fault).

It seems that you are stating that members aren't picking up on all the threads concerning gaming because there's too many other threads in the Lightwave forums getting in the way. I cannot say how true that is but this poll suggests that more members agree with you. I'm probably not the best person to comment on this point because I subscribe to all Newtek discussion forums as I am also a VT[3] user. So I usually don't pay that much attention to what section a particular thread is in. I look at the title to determine whether or not its something I may want to contribute to. This is why I tend to ignore posts that have non-descriptive titles like "A simple question" and such. But everybody is different and probably most pay more attention to the sections than I do.

somnambulance
07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Rob, its cool, all I know is;

WE NEED MORE VOTERS!

jamesl
07-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Can't we just ditch the Mac section?

(ducks, runs for cover...)

:cool:

Silkrooster
07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
I would like to see a game section, it would give those that are game oriented a place to chat with others with same interest. The problem though with adding more sections is that it makes it harder for beginners to the forum to know where to post their messages especially when their question could apply to more than one section. Afterall the forum administrators are trying to reduce duplicate threads.

Gabe
07-29-2004, 10:21 PM
I definately think a game forum is a good idea. Sure you can discuss it in general but game development is a big enough topic and there's enough interest to warrant it. I don't think it would clutter the forums too much. There are far fewer forum topics here than at a place like cgtalk.

somnambulance
07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by jamesl
Can't we just ditch the Mac section?

(ducks, runs for cover...)

:cool:

You better run for cover! hehe.

You can only imagine my frustration of finding a game engine being on a Mac and using Lightwave. It is quite an adventure. I do have a PC, but my Mac displays are better, and I like working in OS much more than windows.

Lamont
07-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Is UnrealED available on the Mac install of Unreal2K4?

Lamont
07-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Did a quick search and I guess not.

That sucks. I don't have a Mac, but that does suck a lot!!!

somnambulance
07-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Is UnrealED anything more than a level editor for Unreal Tournement?

It does look like Gnometech made a Lightwave exoprter for Torque that works on both Mac and PC. $100 for Torque, definately going to try it out.

Lamont
07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Yeah, just a level editor.

But the UnrealED 3 engine is going to be Max/PC/Linux from what I have read.

somnambulance
07-31-2004, 06:36 PM
back to the top

pixeltek
08-01-2004, 10:03 AM
YES!

A long time ago, I wrote a letter regarding the selling of 3D programs being based on perception and appeal to the prospective buyers' imagination rather than fact. After all, what does a high-school or college student know about the packages from which they will choose their future 3D work-horse? At that time I thought that NewTek should not shy away from emulating what I thought was a success (if not in fact, but at least in the minds of the young, up-and-coming future 3D artist), such as Discreet's Character Studio for example. Let's face it, anything good, as far as algorithms go or user interface, etc., is being used, adapted, or reverse-engineered sooner or later anyway, which makes the capabilities of so many great packages so similar. Character Studio may be just a sales gimmick, but it sure works on a lot of folks out there. Now it's game development packages. While the overall strength of LW, that is its general usability across the board, should remain unchanged, specific packages, modules, for lack of a better term, that enhance targeted utilities might be not a bad thing. Modules such as character design, games development, compositing, architecture, and maybe other specific areas, that enhance or support those particular aspects, maybe through additional coding in form of specific plug-in sets, pre-made components, unique training CDs etc. could potentially serve to even more broaden the success of our favorite 3D SW package and spread it into areas where it might be maybe (unfairly) perceived as weak, or simply as not a factor of note.

In the end, while not affecting the majority of us established users, such a marketing/sales strategy may positively affect NT's bottom line, which in turn will result in added development funding for future versions. I see a win-win situation here.

Karl
pixeltek
http//:www.cosmic-pearl.com

Vincent Brumbac
08-01-2004, 10:08 AM
I think it would be best if the thread is labeled properly. For example start the label off with......

Game Devlopement:
Film:
DVD:
Print:
Character Animation:
Lighting:
Rendering:
Ect.......

So if one had a question about lighting it would look like....

Lighting:How do I set up a 3 point lighting setup

Vincent D. Brumback

somnambulance
08-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah, they should be pickier about that

somnambulance
08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
BOOOOO!!!!! They updated the forum but didn't add a game development section... BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

lesterfoster
08-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I am all for a new game section, I like playing games. But more then playing them. I would like to know how they are made.

somnambulance
09-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Seriously... sooner than later. I am going to start hijacking threads and emailing Newtek and get real irritating to make this happen.

Lamont
09-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Gamers rejoice:

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/videogamerevolution/index.html

lesterfoster
09-08-2004, 07:04 AM
That is a good link.. Thanks

Lamont
09-09-2004, 10:50 PM
As you know the story thus far, they have announced that DNF will be using the Doom 3 engine. And here are some before and after shots.

Before (http://antisuck.com/pics/public/dukebefore.jpg)
After (http://antisuck.com/pics/public/dukeafter.jpg)

JML
10-04-2004, 07:49 AM
If there is a Game Development section, I guess we also need sections for:

Film
Television
High Resolution Printing
Worldwide Web
DVD
CD

I agree, why just game developement ?
I love games, but if it's added to the forum so should others.
like movie,web,architecture,etc...

Lamont
10-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Any one DL the demo for Men of Valor MP demo? It's a fun game, although the style of FPS is getting a bit overcrowded. One of the visually stunning things in this game is the amount of vegitation to hide in. You can actually use it for defensive measures. It's so thick, last night a guy walked right over me and I was able to shoot him in the crotch ;).

I also picked up X-Men legends for the GameCube and Disgae for the PS2. Both great games... Disgae is one of those games you have to be alone to play.. it's so deep with rules and techniques to master.

What are you guys playing?

Lamont
10-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Instead of busting it up into so many, how about this:

- Realtime art
- Print/Web
- Video

I doubt it will happen, so just keep an eye out for threads, or cruz other forums.

turbo
10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
I requested this eons ago. My sole purpose in purchasing LW was for game development.

Lamont
10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
LW's involvement in cinema is way apparent.

I think the first step is to make more tools for developers, so they would want to include a LW export for their game. Maybe a more proactive approach? Ask tons of companies what they would like to see in LW X.X, then ask the comminuty, in like a LW vX.X pow-wow.

This is not just for games. I would like to see a thread started by someone at newtek that says "Here are X number of features we are adding/refining... how would you like them to work?". Keep the topic focused because people do get out of hand ;).

I truely belive the next version of LW is going to be huge. But when will we see this?

Chuck
10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Is the forum shaking or something - I'm hearing some funny rumblings like this thing is moving around or something.... ;)

turbo
10-04-2004, 05:03 PM
A nice little trio for game development =

The Torque Game Engine
Lightwave
David Wyand's Torque DTS Exporter

Shake it up, bebe!

Chuck
10-06-2004, 01:14 PM
So, who has posted in the new Game Development section so far? :)

turbo
10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
me, me, me...
... tho mebbe I would have got at least one more reply to my post about Garage Games and our recent Development snapshot of the day if I had waited for this.. :D

thanks again, Chuck :cool:

edit: actually.. would you mind moving it to the new section, please?

lesterfoster
10-06-2004, 05:50 PM
I like the new sections. But one that I would like to see is for movies, so we could talk about our favorite movies and our not so favorite ones. As well as the making of movies.

Chuck
10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
me, me, me...
... tho mebbe I would have got at least one more reply to my post about Garage Games and our recent Development snapshot of the day if I had waited for this.. :D

thanks again, Chuck :cool:

edit: actually.. would you mind moving it to the new section, please?

Moved, and anted up the one more post while I was at it. :)

somnambulance
10-13-2004, 09:07 AM
I've been on vacation and came back to see that the poll WORKED! YES! Thanks Newtek!