PDA

View Full Version : more Jedi weapons

mattclary
07-27-2004, 03:54 PM
I saw Fabio's post and it inspired me to break out one of my old projects. With the help of F-Prime, I've updated the surfaces and rendered it with radiosity. I'll post more renders as they become available.

mattclary
07-27-2004, 03:58 PM
more...

alblil
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
thats real cool now i feel like modeling a storm trooper.

hrgiger
07-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey Matt. I'm not sure about the first image just becuase the case and velvet(satin?) and all seems a bit gawdy for a master of the universe but great work on the second image. It looks real nice.

kristof
07-28-2004, 12:34 AM
That second picture looks sooooo much better than the first picture. I hope you don't mind me saying, but the first picture has the look 'n feel that you see a lot in old ray-traced pictures (say 5-10 years old). I think this is because of the 'marble' texture. I used this texture a lot in DKBTrace (on the Amiga), and that was a long time ago!

But otherwise: good modelling (and as I said: the second picture is very nice!).

adrian
07-28-2004, 02:55 AM
I think the satin could work if you make it darker. The 2nd pic is awesome though.

Anyone seen the videos on starwars.com? I think it's amazing they can make chrome-plated rubber lightsabers now....

Adrian.

glassefx
07-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Very cool...

question? Was the "royalish" purple satin inspired by Mace's purple sabre?

I'd like to see what we could do with actual "beam" or blade compared to the movies... That will have to be a future project for me I think...

Can't stop myself......May the force be with you!

mattclary
07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks, everyone! I know the marble seems a litltle trite, but thought it looked kinda neat. I thought the box and satin were fitting for an heirloom or gift. Kinda disappointed y'all don't like it more. :confused:

emperorchuck
07-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Honestly, the marble texture is a bit too pronounced. As for the satin-y box and such, I think it's great! Yeah, it looks like a family heirloom... just that yo daddy would be Darth. It's very Dark Side wealth-and-power stuff.

glassefx
07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
I like it Matt... I think the only thing it really needs is some diffuse maps to keep the colors from being over saturated like they are now (box-shot) and maybe a little work on the lighting...

btw - Did ya tat...I gots one, same arm, about same size, but mine is of different subject matter...

again, may the force be with you... lol!

hrgiger
07-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Matt, I didn't say I didn't like it, I think it looks fine as far as your interpretation/exectution. I just can't see Luke or Obi going to their satin lined polished wood box to go kill up some womp rats, that's all. It might look better without that distracting background too...Besides, if you want marble, use a texture map. Procedural marble never usually looks like marble. I can't remember if I said this before when you posted this a long while back but it looks a little like the sabre is floating above the satin rather then resting in it...I might pull up the satin around the edges of the sabre a little bit.

mattclary
07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I've never been 100% satisfied with the lay of the satin, thinking about changing it to a pillow. Yeah, this isn't how I figure you would normally cart around your light saber. ;)

Glassefx, I'll tone the colors down a bit.

p.s. I started a new saber, it's over in the WIP forum.

mattclary
08-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Go look at the new project, it's finished.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26352