PDA

View Full Version : Problem cutting liquid polys

Johnny
07-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Here are some images showing what I've done...the oval highlights the liquid as the meniscus meets the glass wall...it's *pretty* good, but as it travels down looks to be exactly in the same space as the glass..

I can't see why I'm getting these nasty triangles when I render, since the liquid polys are an exact copy of the air polys, which are an exact copy of the glass.

All the geometry (glass, air, liquid, cork) are on same layer and sub-D turned on for all, and subpatch level is 6 for display and render.

Freezing the liquid helps a little, but it still renders pretty nasty.

any thoughts on how I can do this differently for a nice result?

J

http://www.bluemitten.com/liquid.jpg

Axis3d
07-29-2004, 09:06 AM
You need to make sure you merge points after you paste the duplicate air polygons on top of the glass polygons. Also, making sure that the two surfaces are flipped and facing in opposite directions.

Johnny
07-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Axis3d
You need to make sure you merge points after you paste the duplicate air polygons on top of the glass polygons. Also, making sure that the two surfaces are flipped and facing in opposite directions.

OK..you mean I need to merge air polys to glass polys? and then liquid polys to glass polys (if liquid is present?)

I'll mess with that.

thank you!

J

starbase1
07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Definitely looks like you have two sets of plygons in the exact same place, facing the same way. (Possibly because one set is facing the wrong way, as the previous poster suggested).

Try selecting by surface in modeller - they look to have very different surfaces, so that will help you clear it up.

Nick