PDA

View Full Version : Survey Data to Lightwave

DCJENKINS777
07-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I have recently begun working for a law firm. I need to take some survey data and convert for use in lightwave. What is the proper format to request from the survey company- I have tried dfx and it will import but it only imports the points. I could make this work by manually creating curves/poly's from the points but I thought there should be an easier way. Does anyone have an experience in this that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Don

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 10:37 AM
I have imported some Illustartor files into LW, maybe they could get it to you in an .eps?

omeone
07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
A raw survey will only be points, the points can be grouped while thay are being recorded.

Decent surveying software will join the grouped points, and can offer other outputs such triangulated Digital Terrain Models, Contours or Strings.
Output the preferred option usually as dxf, its likely that some cleanup and conversion will then need to be done in a CAD application.
Its a nasty process and takes a while to get set-up right for each project.

there are some mesh from point cloud (google for it) programmes out there, but nothing great that I found.

there even was one for LightWave I think, but I dont know if it ever had a full public release

DCJENKINS777
07-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks omeone,
I was afraid this would be the case. Looks like I have a lot of work ahead. I will be meeting with the survey team in the next few weeks - this will help

Don

omeone
07-28-2004, 07:53 AM
sorry, it wasnt much help. Depending on whats being surveyed and the accuracy needed, there may be some easy alternatives, eg, for a land survey with low accuracy a DEM model mght be the easiest way... or if its buildings, photogrammetry is a great solution.