PDA

View Full Version : How fast will an Xbox render?

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 10:48 AM
This is kind of a joke, but it may be possible. I read that a "modded" X Box will run some type of PC os (maybe windows, not sure, but I know it will run .exe's). After reading the rules of screamer net, it seems like it may be possible to setup an X Box render farm!?!? When I was in programing classes I ran into some smart people that would be able to figure this out, so I bet someone has done it. If anyone who lives in a country where this is legal, I want to know how fast an Xbox will render?

BeeVee
07-27-2004, 11:00 AM
I heard about this idea and thought it was great until I realised that they only come with a small amount of RAM - not up to dealing with scenes that are at all complex. Also, they only have 733MHz processors, so you could build cheaper full PCs...

B

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah, that is something I started thinking about too. I really want to know if someone has done it though. I am sure the next generation of gameing systems will be good for render farms... :D

Triple G
07-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by BeeVee
Also, they only have 733MHz processors, so you could build cheaper full PCs...

B

"Only" 733MHz....hehe....I remember not all that long ago buying my SNES which I was so impressed by it's 3.5MHz processor...what a step up from the NES! And it did scaling and rotation....Mode 7, baby...woo-hoo! :D

Ok...I think I need to cut back on the caffeine...:p :rolleyes:

BeeVee
07-29-2004, 03:38 AM
I know, now I'm blasť about getting 64kbps download rates and get frustrated when only moving at 12kbps, forgetting that two years ago, I was happy to get 5! :)

B

enigma
08-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Hey there, i've installed debian on my xbox and use it for helping out with large renders, and though it's "only" a 733mhz it can and will be of use so you could still use your ordinary computer before going to bed :)

So if you've got one for gaming purposes i don't see any reason not to use it as a renderclient

cheers

Seademon
08-20-2004, 03:44 AM
I was just thinking about setting up an xbox cluster for rendering, came here to see if anyone else had any thoughts on the idea and theres an xbox rendering topic sitting at the top of the list. :rolleyes: lol. Any way i was thinkjng of setting up like 4 x boxes to take care of rendering so that i could still use my computer whilst it was rendering. Ive seen some pretty amazing setups that use heaps of xboxes and get massive processing power.

Triple G
08-20-2004, 12:21 PM
The main drawback I see is that the Xbox has a rather small amount of RAM (64MB, I believe). For all but the simplest scenes, I don't see this as being very well-suited.

Seademon
08-21-2004, 06:39 PM
i have seen a couple of places that will upgrade the memory in the xbox to 128mb but its still not much :rolleyes: . I think the next Generation of consoles will be much better for this.

wacom
08-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I've read that if you mod your xbox you can get up to 1GB of RAM on it!

It may be worth it when the used price comes down to around 80 bucks. Too bad we can't also make use of the GPU for rendering calculations...