PDA

View Full Version : P2P Rendering?

twister47
07-27-2004, 09:00 AM
So while I'm sitting around waiting for my screamernet render to finish my brother raised this question.

Could you set up a render farm online?

My first response was 'no' cause I assume the speed would just be too slow. But then I thought, what if there was something like Kazaa for rendering, just had a ton of people online. If there were thousands of people on, then each one would really only need to render one frame and send it back right? So depending on the complexity, you could be rendering decent sized scenes in a minutes.

I do see there are probably a lot of problems with this. Considering how you could handle recieving hundreds of frames back, let alone sending out the scene to everyone.

But interesting to think about for sure. Anyone?

meshmaster
07-27-2004, 09:12 AM
but never implemented... what would probably be cool is if there was soemthing sort of similar to SETI at home that worked like a render farm... the problem is to build that you need to know quite a bit about networking, which is something a lot of folks that use lightwave don't know a lot about or don't care enough about to make this a sort of thing a reality... mainly when threads start up about this, the idea is quickly shot down because people are worried about their work being stolen...

uh, one thing that you may want to try, if you know any programming at all is to start this project over at sourceforge... maybe there is enough programmers out there interested in seeing it become a reality to make it a reality!...

bah, never mind... I just put in for a sourceforge project... if they ok it, it'll be called lwnetrender... I am no programmer, but I do have a sourceforge account and would like to see this become a reality.

"Your request should be reviewed by SourceForge.net staff in the next two business days (9AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday). Response regarding your project (notice of rejection/approval) will be posted to your My SourceForge.net Projects page (accessible via the My SF.net link at the top of each site page). No email notification will be provided about approval/rejection of your project."

tjacobs
07-27-2004, 09:36 AM
My understanding of ScreamerNet is that you need to map drives back to the content directory. Personally I would not want to punch a hole in the firewall to allow someone to map directly to my computer.

The other solution would to keep the content directory somewhere outside of the firewall. While I do not have anything someone would want to steal, other would.

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, shortly after me signing up for a different forum I experienced a strange drag in my computers preformance... a few days after that, the forum I signed up for had a hacker messing with them. Then several days after that, my computer had a fatal meltdown. After about 2 weeks of me salvaging files, I bought a firewall program and went back online... About 3 minutes of being online, I found out someone was trying to hack into my system. I put a lot of thought into it and it is possible someone hacked into the forum's server and got the IP address of its users and then found some of the IP address without a firewall and used them to render. For several weeks after I put up the firewall I had someone trying to hack in. I cant prove it, but I think someone was using my computer on their screamer net. So if I am right, someone has rendered over the internet.

caesar
07-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Somnambulance, I think it can be done, but theres a lot of virus, trojan that open a smtp server in your machine, just to send emails with it attached. They can send up to hundreds emails, leaving you machine really slow...they may even open a ftp server!!! Maybe you can see the logs to confirm...I feel sad when people discover the worst way how important a firewall nowadays

And with p2p rendering, it would have the same problem with p2p = evrybody want everything, a few helping/sharing.

twister47
07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Well I would I think that there would be a credit system, like, you can build up credits, maybe based on frames or better yet rendering time that you've let people use on you. Then when you want to render you can only render a certain amount based on that.

Yea I agree there would probably be a lot of security concerns, maybe there would encryption the program uses so that someone rendering your file wouldnt actually be able to look at it.

js33
07-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Well there's always http://www.respower.com in the meantime.

Cheers,
JS

Architook
07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
The idea of "P2P" rendering is cool.
But the real limiting factor will be simply the amount of data that needs to be sent to a computer to have it help you.

You need to send ALL of the objects, ALL of the textures, all of the scene file. Even a small scene will be megabytes, and it's completely possible that a big scene would be 500MB. And a lot more than even that if there's mocap..

So in order to get a computer to help you, you must send it all of those megabytes of data first. Ouch. Do you want to upload 100MB of data in order to save 30 minutes of rendering a frame?

So the P2P idea would work best with really really simple small scenes that take a LONG time to render. So simple radiosity scenes for example..

But that file transfer overhead would be the dominating problem for most projects I think. The rendered images will likely be small, though.

BTW such a P2P tool wouldn't need any work from Newtek for someone to hack a working system together.. you could just bundle a ZIP file with all the stuff, and they run screamernet -3, and mail the result back. This would probably all be automated of course, but my point is that it's something you could do now if you wanted to set it up.. Newtek wouldn't need to update LightWave to help.

tokyo drifter
07-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I love using Bit Torrent and was thinking if that kind of P2P technology could be used for rendering but as Architook said, the files that would need to be transferred will negate any benefit and also would open the opportunity for people to steal your models and textures and use them without your permission.