PDA

View Full Version : "Fire Ant"

jevinstudios
07-27-2004, 05:54 AM
http://www.jevin.com/graphics/FireAnt.jpg

"Fire Ant"

Created with LightWave 8, using Sasquatch & UV Edit Pro (technique: stylized realism)

Lew
07-27-2004, 06:10 AM
Is this the big mean ant or the little worker ant? I never get this close a look, they're always as flat as I can make them. Mouth parts look odd, are they accurate? And donít they have a stinger of some kind at the back end?

Watch out, they may be coming for you.
Lew

jevinstudios
07-27-2004, 06:59 AM
This is a Worker Ant. Size ranges from 1-6 mm, so they're really tiny. They actually have a painful bite and a sting (although the stinger is not visible here); the mandibles are actually in proportion (pretty creepy, huh?)..... There are reports of devastating battalions of fire ants occasionally here in the Southwest (my territory). They thrive in the South, too....

Matt
07-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Ahhhhh, brings back fond memories of 'It Came From the Desert' by Cinemaware!

:)

mvanni
07-27-2004, 10:15 AM
it came from the desert on the amiga.. around 1992? 1990? what a game !!

miso popovic
07-27-2004, 01:04 PM
look's cool, to make it great :) i would suggest making the point's where legs and those things sticking out of the ants head,for whom i don't know the english word:), go into the body more real looking, now it look's like you just stuck them in. Same is maybe with the claws.

jevinstudios
07-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Awesome Suggestion, Miso -- thx! Made some adjustments and re-posted the image.

FONGOOL
07-27-2004, 11:19 PM
I like the style you've achieved here! It looks really neat, almost hand painted. Reminds me of some pages out of an old National Geographic I still have around somewhere. They had these beautiful hand painted ant closeups...

If you've got $90 to blow, here's an AMAZING looking book:
Really awesome ant book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0674442806/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-6138884-1812058?v=glance&s=books )

It Came From The Desert is one of my all-time favorite games!
Especially the hospital escape mini-game!

The Amiga was SOOO cool for games. But here in America it seemed like nobody noticed. nobody even knew what Shadow of the Beast (aka "Beast") was until the much uglier Sega Genesis version came out years later. :(

Glad there's an emulator, my Amiga died years ago. Still have the monitor though! :D

jevinstudios
07-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Fongool --

Thx for the kewl comment! That look was exactly what I was going for (the "National Geographic" style!). Well, looks like I was successful!

K

Zarathustra
07-30-2004, 08:31 AM
One of the first things I ever had to do in LW was a fire ant animation. I spent days gathering little video clips to study the walk cycle. So, uh, did you rig him? let's see him running around.

Nice look

jevinstudios
07-30-2004, 09:08 AM
No, I didn't rig him -- was designed as an illustration only, so just posed the critter in Modeler. BUT, I'd love to see YOUR ant animation, if it's web-viewable. Pleeeeeez post it here in this thread for all to enjoy! Too kewl.....

Zarathustra
07-30-2004, 09:17 AM
LOL, yeah well even if I could find it on an old cd it's a tad embarrassing. About a month or so into full-time LW use with LW 5.0 for Mac (man, that was an UUUUUgly version of LW. If you think there's a big difference between LW on PC versus Mac now, woo boy you should have seen that piece of crap). I'll try and find something. We all need to be humbled in public from time to time.:D

Zarathustra
07-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Well I remembered I have this (http://magicanimation.com/gallery/clips/BBot.avi)online. This is more like 6 or 7 months into LW (1997 maybe?). It's basically the same leg sequence I used for the fire ant. I shouldn't keep this bugger around to show because it's so old, but I have a sentimental attachment to it. In all the following years I haven't had any time to work on a personal short since. It's nice to be working and paying the bills, but I have to make myself do one, especially after seeing Kaze.