PDA

View Full Version : How bad are 3 point poly's in Char's?

silverline
03-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Hey,
I've just finished the Dan Ablams tutorial for the womans head, and I'm working on making a body- the thing is I remembered reading how one shouldnt use 3 point poly's to match up sections. How does this effect a character when it comes animation time? - - So , if they really are bad, anyone know a good body subdivision tutorial that uses the no 3-point poly's theory? I've been using Peter Ratners , but that doesnt really go very specific into details, or worry about 3 point poly's.

Red_Oddity
04-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Just model your charcter and worry about that later...
yes, it's true quads are better in conjunction with SubDs, but, just see what you model does when you slap a texture on it, often you don't see much artifacts due to 3p poly's...
And you can always clean up those 3p poly's when optimising your model for animation, as for 3p polys affecting animation? Never noticed it, doubt it does anyway...

blinblue
04-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Well I have noticed that if you have 2 or more 3 sided polys next to each other, when you turn on subpatch it makes it look kinda "pinched". I think it is best to avoid 3 sided ones as much as possible, but it isn't bad if you have a couple here or there.

TerryFord
04-03-2003, 06:23 PM
I use tris quite a bit in my stuff. It's ofter simpler to use a tri than jump through hoops or have unnecessary mesh density to keep everything quads.

Regards,
Terry