PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 3 Engine and previz possibilities.

CB_3D
07-25-2004, 06:20 PM
If you haven´t seen the demo do so now. Impressive realtime rendering stuff. Frome CG Channel:

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/shownews.jsp?newsID=3191

I surely would love to see something like that integrated into Layout.

What would it take, from a LW-user POV, to use a game engine like that to make, say, interactive game-level like architectural visualizations the clients could walk through? Roughly, what would be the costs and possibilities? As far as i know there are already some promising LW Unreal connections.

If anyone has any interesting links please post them here.

____
edit:ok just saw the thread about game engines and the prices ....

BNA!
07-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Next week Doom3 will be available.

The engine comes with native support for .lwo files (need to triple and UV map them of course) and can handle very high amounts of polygons.

One of my board users is currently working on an exporter to get animations from LightWave into the Doom3 engine.

I've made quite a few tests and the surface rendering capeabilities of Doom3 are high quality enough to create some show stopping visuals.

In your case I'd give it a try just for fun.
Nobody prevents you from charging money for your LW work, you don't have to pay for a game engine license.
Let your customers purchase a copy of Doom3, send them the map you've made and you can meet online for a walkthrough.

I've been toying with that idea as well.

Alex Rooth
07-26-2004, 02:15 AM
BNA! Do you know if Doom III comes with any form of map editor for editing your own levels?

Alex

BNA!
07-26-2004, 02:36 AM
Yes, Doom3 will come with it's own editor out of the box.

The editor is supposed to be very similar to previous Radiant versions - spiced up with a full 3D realtime render preview and material animations.

Click my link for whatever you're interested in Doom3.

Alex Rooth
07-26-2004, 04:17 AM
Hi BNA!

That's good to know - thanks. Also, thank you for the link - great site with a lot of useful info.

Alex

BNA!
07-26-2004, 05:22 AM
My pleasure :)

Hervé
07-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Xcuse me, I am totally Newbie about game engines.... would it be possible to make arch-viz walkthrough with it.... where can I have a link... do U know any...

I've downloaded that big movie about the new unreal engine.... woaaaaaww...

CB_3D, you saying eeek about the price... expensive I guess...

BNA, I went to your site, great, but... where do I start.... to understand a bit more....:D ;)

BNA!
07-26-2004, 06:13 AM
BNA, I went to your site, great, but... where do I start.... to understand a bit more....:D ;) [/B]

Depends on where you want to start and where you want to go to.

If you want to know how to get your lightwave model into Doom3, well, that is a question this could get answered pretty fast.

Hervé
07-26-2004, 07:34 AM
well, a bit like it's been said by CB_3D, yes, in fact I'd like to put houses and environments from LW "into" doom3.... and having "predifined" or free walkthroughs....

Thanks;)

Karmacop
07-26-2004, 07:47 AM
The thing with Doom 3 .. and I guess all newer game engines, is that they don't have precomputer radiosity. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to bake the radiosity and use them as lightmaps, but I'm sure it's possible.

And don't worry about the price of the engine, that's if you want to make a commercial game with it. To do walk throughs you could just use the normal game or make a mode that'd have no weapons etc and only allow you to walk around. Then you'd just load up your map. Easy :)

Hervé
07-26-2004, 07:57 AM
thing is iF you HAVE TO bake illumination, then it is going to take time (especially inLW) but I did it once for a large project.... wfewww... big job.... and it wa just the outside, now if you have to bake the inside also..... ouch...

Karmacop, where is the link to download a trial... is there a trial or something to play with to see a bit more the possibilities...?

Thanks
@+;)

Lamont
07-26-2004, 08:15 AM
The engine I am using at work does radiosity. Renders off the FX card and up (and ATI 9800). Saves the maps and there you go.

There's not that many settings yet, but we're working on it to be as close to what you see in any 3D app.

caesar
07-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
The thing with Doom 3 .. and I guess all newer game engines, is that they don't have precomputer radiosity.

I read some paper about Source, Half Life 2´s Engine, that it has some kind of proprietary radiosity solution

BNA!
07-26-2004, 08:56 AM
The thing with Doom 3 .. and I guess all newer game engines, is that they don't have precomputer radiosity. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to bake the radiosity and use them as lightmaps, but I'm sure it's possible.

You can't bake radiosity into a lightmap in Doom3. The game entirely lit with dynamic lights, so a different approach is asked for.

You have to undergo a lot of prethought when lighting a scene in Doom3.

Engines with lightmaps on the other hand rely on inconsistent lighting systems which could lead to wieird artefacts like two items next to each other have shadows pointing into different directions since each is using a different lighting model.

So precomputed lightmaps allow you a high quality lightmap at the expense of proper interactivity.

Karmacop
07-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Hervé

Karmacop, where is the link to download a trial... is there a trial or something to play with to see a bit more the possibilities...?

There's no trial for Doom3, the game comes out in august and the demo comes out after that. You can get a demo of UT from http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php . The full thing comes with it's own map editor (based on maya?).

Originally posted by caesar
I read some paper about Source, Half Life 2´s Engine, that it has some kind of proprietary radiosity solution

Possibly. It doesn't really make much difference though, it's going to look the same in the end, their way may just be faster.

Originally posted by BNA!
You can't bake radiosity into a lightmap in Doom3. The game entirely lit with dynamic lights, so a different approach is asked for.

Yep, I know ;) I'm not sure how you texture levels, I'm sure you'd have a much better idea of that, but you could (with a lot of shaders) use baked lighting on every surface. I only mention baking lightmaps because I assume arch-vis people want their buildings to have natural lighting. .... ok, so for some reason whenever I saw the title of this thread I thought it mentioned arch-vis, not previs ... I sure do suck :p

Lamont
07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
From looking at it, Doom 3 is lit with per-pixel lighting, stencil shadows and masked shadows (A good idea for that would be a flash-light or the ceiling fan).

But we really won't know till August 2nd and I get my hand on the editor :).

StevenDS
07-26-2004, 02:20 PM
There's no trial for Doom3, the game comes out in august and the demo comes out after that. You can get a demo of UT from http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php . The full thing comes with it's own map editor (based on maya?).
::snip::

I use LW 7.5 to create static meshes for UT2K4 (as LW 8.0 seems to have changed something in the object files causing UED3 to balk at importing them).

I think you would need Maya to create player models with bones for ragdoll physics and preset animations.

-S

BNA!
07-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by StevenDS
I think you would need Maya to create player models with bones for ragdoll physics and preset animations.

-S

MAYA was used by id software, but the animations and character models use a proprietary file format - md5.

One of my users has already written exporters for MAX, MAYA and Blender - he's currently working on a LightWave exporter.

Doom3 wont ship with an export option for Lightwave out of the box.

Red_Oddity
07-26-2004, 02:57 PM
That's too bad, that would have been some great PR for Newtek (unless offcourse it involves paying TONS to get a Learing Edition/Demo version on the CD/DVD the game comes on (like UT2003/UT2004))

BNA!
07-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
That's too bad, that would have been some great PR for Newtek (unless offcourse it involves paying TONS to get a Learing Edition/Demo version on the CD/DVD the game comes on (like UT2003/UT2004))

I smell NewTek will get good PR for LightWave in Doom3 through other aspects.

Lamont
07-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by StevenDS
I use LW 7.5 to create static meshes for UT2K4 (as LW 8.0 seems to have changed something in the object files causing UED3 to balk at importing them).I am using LW8 with UnrealED2k4.

Lamont
07-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Karma is seperate from the import. You can create a character in LW, export it with the proper bone set-up and naming of materials and it will conform to the UnrealED bone setup and take all the animations that are in Unreal.

All you need to do is set up the bones, textures and weightmaps then export. Unless you want to do your own animations, then you will need to do a bit more.

Hervé
07-26-2004, 11:10 PM
well, I am a bit confused, you all here seam to know your way.... I have no idea what maps are as well as map editor....:D

Thanks anyway....
Hervé:D

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
The first time I saw this, I freaked out! I LOVE VIDEO GAMES. I was so excited to see that the graphics have finally jumped up a notch, it seems like they havent gotten significantly better in the last 8 years. It looks like you can get your hands on UT3 engine now, but I heard it wont be out for 2 more years. But you can go look for your self here: Unreal Developer Network (http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome) (it looks like it is available). In fact, I will try getting more info on this when I am done writing this.

As for walkarounds, if you watched that video, that's exactly what they are doing with the UR3 demo.

------------

Ok, the UT3 engine is available now! How you get your hands on it though... err.. it looks kinda expensive - "pricing has not been publicly announced"

Lamont
07-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Exspect to pay $400,000 or more.

Hervé
07-28-2004, 07:23 AM
not a bad price....:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

somnambulance
07-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Lamont
Exspect to pay $400,000 or more. I imagine it will be more than that. I read the Unreal 2 engine is still $750,000 for royalty free use. So to get Unreal 3... tack a zero on that first figure!

caesar
07-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by somnambulance
I imagine it will be more than that. I read the Unreal 2 engine is still $750,000 for royalty free use. So to get Unreal 3... tack a zero on that first figure!

Or *just* 350.000 + 3 % revenue !!!

cresshead
07-29-2004, 05:32 PM
also you may want to take a look at this app that has plugins for lightwave and 3dsmax.

http://www.finalvision.de/en/produkte.htm

it's around 1700 euros for the gold version.

Hervé
07-29-2004, 11:24 PM
wooooaw, very expensive, cost more than LW itself....:D

I am sure it is a promising tekno, but I could not open their stuff, it required some sort of ddl... ah well....:rolleyes: :D