PDA

View Full Version : Computer

alblil
07-24-2004, 08:08 PM
i have the oppertunity to get any computer i want, but i need some help in deciding. i can have it costumised. i do want a dual an extended desktop. i can have any processor, any amount of ram, 200gb of space cd and dvd burner-player. but i dont know what i would need to make everything run smoother with lightwave, and dark basic compiles.

-so if you could have any computer tell me what you would have in it

Silkrooster
07-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you have access to some funds for a high end computer.
Do some checking on the prices to keep in check with your allowence?
Speed, speed and more speed. Try to get as high of a cpu in MHz that you can, the key here is the higher the number the faster and the better for rendering. So try not to go no lower than 3.0Mhz. Hyperthreading is now becoming standard so make sure you get a cpu that has hyperthreading. If possible get multiple cpu's in the machine. the more cpu's the computer has the faster.
Give me More - More hard drive and ram. You never have enough ram or hard drive space, especially if you plan on creating video animations. Minimum I would go is 1GB of ram and 250GB hard drive. If you have the cash up these as much as you can.
Your hard drive can be in various formats as well. Do not go below an 7200RPM 80GB Parrallel ATA Drive. There are a couple of factors to consider with hard drives. Like I said a moment a go, the format of the drive which are Parrallel ATA, Serial ATA, SCSI, and for external USB and Firewire. When looking at hard drives looke at the seek time. It is rated in milliseconds. The lower this number is the faster the seek time is, therefore the faster the hard drive. Another factor is the speed of the drive it self. The speed of the disks inside the harddrive rotate around a shaft. This is measured in RPM's(Revolutions Per Minute). Therefore the faster this number is the better. Like I said do not go below 7200 rpm's. You want the drive to be fast enough to create video. It may be possible at 5200 rpm's, but I don't recommend it unless your strapped for cash - Because you might get a drive that is spinning to slow and will create some dropped frames. The last number on the hard drive is how much data the drive will hold. This number now measured in Gigabytes needs to be as high as you can get. Note: If you are planning on Windows XP, you will beable to create video the full size of the harddrive after it has been formated. The reason I say this is that when you format a new hard drive some of the drive is used by the drive it self. So you will loose some space, not a lot. Also concider what else will be on that hard drive as this will reduce your overall size to hold the video as well. As a rule of thumb figure on 4gb per minute of video to decide on how large of a drive you need.
Video card - Get one that has a processor on board with as much video memory that you can find. I think 64mb of video ram is not enough. Try to get one that says 128 mb or 256mb. I beleive ATI now has a card with 256mb of video ram. Not sure on that but I thought I read that somewheres.
DVD Burner - Try to get one that can burn to multiple formats. Some people do not realize that -r and +r disc are not compatable. Also check with your software and make sure that it is compatable with the burner before you get one. I have found some software than can burn -r disc's but not the +r disc even though the burner is capable of burning both and the software is capable of burning both. Go figure.
Since tranfering graphic images and video are sometimes difficult and time consuming. You should also think about ways of tranfering data to and from your computer.
Like:
Memory card reader
Broadband Internet connection
Wireless G/B connection
Zip drive
NIC card 100/1000 mb connection
Firewire
USB 2
Scanner
printer
touchtablet
3D digitizer

Well I hope I have given you some of the information that you were looking for. So good luck with your purchase, and have fun
Silkrooster

alblil
07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Wow! Thanks...i think you covered it.

sbrandt
07-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Who's popping for this? I think the money would be better spent at Sylvan. But anyway... HERE GOES!

Motherboard:
SUPERMICRO X6DA8-G2

Memory:
Eight (8) Sticks of - Intel validated 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-3200 512MB• REGISTERED • ECC • DDR2-400 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 72, Original Micron, Part number MT18HTF6472G-40EB2

Video Card:
PCI EXPRESS GIGABYTE GV-NX59128D GEFORCE PCX 5900

Hard Drive - Operating System/Storage:
Three (3) 250GB SERIAL ATA/SATA HDD 7200 RPM: Western Digital SATA SEs

Hard Drives - Audio:
Two (2) WD740GD 74GB SERIAL ATA 10k 8MB BUFFER 4.5MS ENTERPRISE RAPTORS

Hard Drives - Video:
Six (6) Seagate - Seagate Cheetah SCSI 146.7GB 10k 3.6ms 320MB/Sec

Case/PowerSupply:
SUPERMICRO SC942S -600 4U RACKMOUNT DUAL XEON SINGLE P4 W/TRIPLE REDUNDANT 600W+300WPS

STAND ALONE DVD R/RW:
SONY 1 TO 7 STAND ALONE TOWER DVD CD DUPLICATOR COPIER SONY 8X DW-U18A DUAL DVD+RW/DVD-RW

Drawing Tablet:
Wacom Intuos2 12x18 USB Tablet XD1218USB

Monitors:
Two (2) SYNTAXTech LCD MONITOR 30" 1280X1024 OLEVIA SERIES

alblil
07-25-2004, 01:41 PM
ok 30" is huge!!! i work on a 17" right now and 2 30" is real big, but yeah that would be awsome.

alblil
07-25-2004, 04:13 PM
speaking of all of this...where can i order one? any suggestions?

sbrandt
07-25-2004, 06:02 PM
The best place to order parts are:

www.zipzoomfly.com
www.newegg.com
www.spartantech.com
www.monarchcomputer.com

If you want a turnkey box, then these are the best places:
(I'm not sure that building boxes is the main bread and butter
for some of these guys, but they certainly know enough that
it should be.)

www.pizazzme.com
www.djlithium.com
www.editbay.tv
www.scorpioproductions.com
www.cwtvproductions.com

alblil
07-25-2004, 08:07 PM
turn key box? i will confess, i dont know to much about computers, thats why ask this question.

sbrandt
07-25-2004, 10:48 PM
"Turn Key" Box just means a computer that's completely put together and ready to go. All you have to do is, "Turn the Key" and "start" it... that's all that means. And a "box" is a computer. The case is the "box".

The first four on the list are good dealers with good prices where you can buy individual components, and put your own machine together.

The next five are people who build completed "ready to go" computers. (There might be some on that list that don't build boxes as their main occupation... but they're really bright guys, and it wouldn't hurt to ask.)

alblil
07-26-2004, 02:15 AM
okay, i understand. thanks a lot.