PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Intuos2 tablet & LW8

Parallax
07-24-2004, 03:27 PM
I have never used a graphics tablet. I am a LW hobbiest in self-training. I see by comments that Wacom is considered a top product.

[1] Anyone have compatability problems with this tablet, LW8, and WindowsXP Pro?

[2] More basic question: As you "draw" on the tablet, is the drawing displayed real time on the computer monitor, in Moldeller, or nowhere?

[3] What is a reasonable common size for a tablet using LW?

archiea
07-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Parallax
I have never used a graphics tablet. I am a LW hobbiest in self-training. I see by comments that Wacom is considered a top product.

[1] Anyone have compatability problems with this tablet, LW8, and WindowsXP Pro?

I've only used it on macs... I haven't had compatability problems on the mac w/ LW.

[2] More basic question: As you "draw" on the tablet, is the drawing displayed real time on the computer monitor, in Moldeller, or nowhere?

Yes!! It will take you some getting used to it. Its much like any other mouse or trackerball. After you hace gotten used to the tablet, you will experience far more dexderity with it.

[3] What is a reasonable common size for a tablet using LW?

theres a few factors, like the size and resolution of your display, and what size you feel comfortable drawing in. i.e. I find my self usually drawing smaller than some people....

I've used the 4x5 with laptops... typlically I've used the 6x8, although professionaly I've used the 9x12

LFGabel
07-24-2004, 05:52 PM
I use a 9x12 intuos (not intuos2) and It's so much better than a mouse. I'll never go back. I recently got to installing LW8 on Win2K and I have encountered no problems as long as you set it for tablet ;)

It took me about 2 weeks of constant use to get used to it.

And it's great in Photoshop, DFX+... you name it.

bloontz
07-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I use an intuos 2 6x8 in xp pro and it works great. It is much more ergonomic for pushing points in modeler than a mouse. You can map the buttons to allow you to rotate and pan with the stylus.

Hervé
07-25-2004, 01:07 AM
For photoshop, it"s priceless.... once you use it, you'll never go back...

For LW, well it's up to U, I rather use my mouse....:)

trick
07-25-2004, 02:24 AM
FWIW:

I have both 9x12 and 6x8 Intuos2 under WinXP: The 9x12 is great under a double screen config, but for a single screen config the 6x8 is far better. Because I had the 9x12 first on the single screen config, I layout out a small area on the tablet which made me work much faster; 9x12 only wastes space.

About getting used: I think I needed a month to get used to it and getting to the same speed as with a mouse. But after using tablets for several years now, things are much faster as with a mouse; using it for modeling, texturing, everything. As a big bonus there is a much smaller chance to get RSI in your arm/hand muscles !!!!

And NO compatibility problems in 7.5 or 8. Any program can be used in - relative - mouse mode. Watch out for some programs/plugins however that have problems in - absolute - tablet mode (the most intuitive): like PMG's Messiah Studio or Curiouslabs Poser !!!

CB_3D
07-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Working with a Wacom is like a beautyful dream as opposed to the nightmare that a mouse is.

I used all sizes and models over the last years and never had any problems.

The ones i prefer these days are the small Graphires. No need to spend big bucks on an Intuos, unless you plan to handpaint itsy bitsy details in Painter.

For your regular Lightwave/Photoshop/Windows work a Graphire is a good, and reasonably priced starting point.

And donīt worry about the learning curve. Took me 3 days not to ever look back at the mouse.

Have fun

NanoGator
07-25-2004, 05:10 PM
I found that using LW wtih a tablet wasn't faster than a mouse, a lot of times it was slower. Maybe if I just got used to it, it would be okay, but the nasty gotcha about a tablet is that you really have to eyeball where you are clicking. Additionally, you don't have much of a right click. You kind of do.. but ... eeeh never really liked it.

I think it's great for painting with, but I'm not sure you'd enjoy it with LW.

When I get my TabletPC, though, I plan on writing a review of what that's like. Being able to touch the screen directly, I believe, will make LW much more usable in a Tablet mode. We'll see if reality bears out my hypothesis. ;)

NanoGator
07-25-2004, 10:58 PM
I dug a little deeper and now feel I should retract a comment or two I made in my previous post:

1.) I complained about the double click problem. Well, after posting that, it occured to me I should check the settings on it. Sure enough, you can set the double click to be more useful, and having done so it is much easier to use.

2.) I complained about right click being ineffective.. well that was a little dumb on my part, also. I reconfigured the buttons on the stylus and now it seems more usable.

The defaults weren't to my liking, but after changing them I think I owed Wacom a correction.

Sorry if my hastily written comments caused any problems.