PDA

View Full Version : Preview monitors

Yachtclub5
07-24-2004, 09:52 AM
I would like to preview each camera individualy before the signal reaches the SX-8. I use s-video cables only. I was wondering if any one has any advice. I know that Radio Shack has a signal spliter that allows three output for one input source. But with 8 cameras, and each spliter needing it's own indiviadual power adapter, the electircal outlet needs become to great. So.... any suggestions on how to set up individual preview monitors for each camera. Any paticular hardware someone would recommend.

Thanks

Kevin
07-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Some monitors allow you to loop the video out. So you could go from the camera to the monitor to SX8. I don't know if you would lose qulity doing this or not.

wvp
07-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Signal loss through looping or using a splitter is probably about the same.
The power requirements for the signal splitter is very small (milliamps). You could get a power strip and tape these adapters to it and thus have 1 or 2 plugs for the whole thing.

My suggjestions:
1) Search the internet for other Y/C splitters - perhaps there is something better.

2) Run a composite cable with your SVIDEO. This gives you the added bonus of having a backup cable ready to go in an emergency.

Rodad
08-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Well this is what I do -
Plug your S-video camera cable into your SX-8 as usual. Then plug a composite cable into the Y imput of that bus and feed that to your monitor - I now use a multiplexer so I can see nine imputs on one large monitor instead of my old sony 4 bay monitor set up.
Using the Y input means you only get a B & W picture but that is more than good enough to see what is going on.

Happy switching
Rohan

bradl
08-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Rodad
Plug your S-video camera cable into your SX-8 as usual. Then plug a composite cable into the Y imput of that bus and feed that to your monitor - I now use a multiplexer so I can see nine imputs on one large monitor instead of my old sony 4 bay monitor set up.
Using the Y input means you only get a B & W picture but that is more than good enough to see what is going on I don't have an SX-8 (yet) and don't do live but I have directed and spent most of the last 20 years in control rooms and edit rooms. Your setup sounds very cool. B&W is (was) the norm for camera monitors in most monitor walls, with the PGM and PRV monitors being the main color monitors. Currently, you will have to use a VT Vision for PRV in color but Newtek has said that Preview Out is coming in the near future!

Using a multiplexer is becoming very popular in control room these days with plasma and lcd monitors. We look at most of the companies at NAB and there were lots of good ones but Miranda had the best look, features and price for our application. I believe Zandar was the next best. Clarity had some sweet ($$$) LCD monitors for this.