PDA

View Full Version : Subpatches-Approach to detail

dpaultaylor
07-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to model an O2 XDA pda. I am using subpatches as it is quite a rounded object. The problem is when I come to model the detail on the top of the PDA. When I line up the points on the top to conform to the shape of the detail, I can't avoid some pinching.

Another approach I thought of was to freeze the sub ds and then use boolean commands to stencil out the shape, or is this cheating?

Thanks.

riki
07-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Try adding extra vertices and playing around with subPatch weights. I'd avoid freezing and booleans.

hrgiger
07-23-2004, 09:59 PM
It might help if you have a photo of the pda and perhaps a screen grab of where you're at on the model. I always try to get as far as I can and possibly finishing the model in subpatches before I resort to freezing and performing booleans.

Rory_L
07-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Each to their own! Freezing is not cheating. You`ve got a job to do, a model to make, doubtless with a pressing deadline. You know best how close the object`ll come to the camera and what level of mesh detail you need. With that in mind I`d say cautiously to (save the sub-D model and) go ahead with the freezing and booleaning. Perhaps you won`t even need to boolean.

A big advantage of working with frozen mesh is that the UV maps don`t distort.

Sub-Ds are a means to an end, not a religion:) Riki, you are free to disagree and I`m very likely to agree with many of your points!

Cheers,

R

riki
07-23-2004, 10:14 PM
It's such an open-ended question it's hard to give good advice without more specific details.

hrgiger
07-24-2004, 03:50 AM
Nobody said that freezing was a cheat. I think Riki and I were just saying it's best to leave it as a last resort. The disadvantages of freezing a mesh can be that it's a lot more dense so manipulating the mesh after that can be more difficult and also you can't change the resolution in layout. Also, it's harder to get smooth flowing surfaces once you freeze the mesh, espeically if you do any additional editing on to it. There's nothing that can't be modeled subpatches. Not to mention, booleans don't always perform without error so there can be quite a lot of clean-up to do sometimes. It just depends on what you're trying to model.

dpaultaylor
07-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks all to your replys. I'm new to lightwave and modelling but your advice is helpful. I'll experiment with the various techniques you have suggested. I thought I had attached an image of the PDA I was trying to model, so I'll attach it here again.

I haven't finished playing around with the sub ds yet so I'll keep on with that for the time being.

Thanks