PDA

View Full Version : Render Size Limit

bbelair
07-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Has any one rendered an image over 4000 pixels in either dimension?

I am having problems when I try to render near this size. I am currently rendering an image at 2560x3200, with subpatches and volumetrics sub surface scattering through G2 and some other goodies. At med AA, it looks like it will finish up at around six hours. Not the longesst render I have done by far. But, when I try to render above 3700 pixels give or take, Lightwave alternatly crashes or freezes.

I am working on one of these Steve Madden shoe ads that I have been doing for a while, (see examples below). While some of them are entirely photographic, others need elements or sometimes entire backgrounds that are 3-d. The final Image size is 6000x7200 pixels or 20"x24" @300 dpi. Some of these images are used on backlit displays for bus and subway platforms, five feet high. So they need to bear close scrutiny. I have solved the problem in the past by throwing the 3-d background out of focus a bit.

I am rendering from Lightwave 7.5 on a dual 1ghz G4 Mac with 1.5 gigs of ram. running OSX 10.2.8.

Is there a set render size limit in Lightwave?
Is it a settings problem. Segments are currently set at 1 for example.
Is it a hardware or memory issue?
Are there any workarounds. An automated sectional render plug-in, perhaps?
Am I just an idiot and didn't press the red glowing "big render" button prominently featured in the tool bar?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

B.

bbelair
07-23-2004, 03:01 PM
I was not sure if my attachment posted so I will try to post it again. For whaterver it's worth.
B.

bbelair
07-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Sorry no luck attaching image. it wasn't that relevent anyway.

B.