PDA

View Full Version : input synch glitch

Nandragon
07-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Help.

using the same DV cam deck one evening, cut off toaster and returned the next morning. Tried capturing the rest of the same video. After about 5 seconds capture would stop. Capture panel stated insync glitch problem. I feared the new toasters F drive was in trouble. Could not capture to the E drive either. CPU usage was at 9%. Changed DV cam deck out. 5 decks and 10 tapes later same problem. So I defraged the F drive. Guess what...no snyc problem.

The F drive holds 239 gigs. I capture and delete on average of 200 gigs every other day or so. It looks as if I will have to defrag the system every other day? Or is there something else here I'm missing?

Yes, the plans are in the works for a F drive storage upgrade.

bradl
07-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Sounds like you are recording to a single drive. If so, it is definately not recommened, even though it is possible. Recording to your Video Stripe (software RAID 0) is the norm.

Scott Bates
07-23-2004, 05:43 PM
FWIW, if you're filling, deleting, filling, deleting most of the drive's space (single drive or raid) every couple of days like that then you might consider reformating rather than defragging, it would be much faster. If you have small credit clips or something on that drive that you need to keep, put them on another drive and copy them to F: when you need them. Just a thought.

Nandragon
07-28-2004, 09:06 AM
First let me thank you guys for answering.

Now let's just assume that I'm ignorant....;)

What's a Raid O drive?

I have designated drives C (software), D (project files) E(audio files) and F (video files)

I "store" a 71 GB file for Fort Bennings Airborne school, which is a weekly job.

Then work on assorted commercials, resume tapes, school year books, video memories, and long weddings (which are memory hogs) this all every week.

Disk management show the F drive is actually 4 "cells".

I have noted that my C drive is now down to 488k. No temp files are stored here at all, my uneducated guess is that the "muscle" needed to run a 150GB project is eatting that memory up.

last question How does one reformat?

Also, not having read the entire manual...how would you save project files, video and audio files outside of the computer for later use?

Paul Lara
07-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Nandragon
What's a Raid O drive?

Raid 0 (as in zero) means that all physical drives are configured as one volume. So, when you record an RTV to a 4-disc RAID, that file is being split up and written to 4 separate platters at once.

Google is your friend. Read about all the various flavors of RAID here. (http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214332,00.html)

Scott Bates
07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
How does one reformat? Easiest way is open My Computer, right-click the drive you want to reformat and select Format. Check the Quick Format option.

... how would you save project files, video and audio files outside of the computer for later use? Copy them to some kind of removable drive such as IDE drive(s) in an external box via firewire or via network connection to another computer.

Nandragon
07-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Oye vey

After deleting 173gb off the raidO drive, I defragged it clean during luch. Came back, captured 71gb of rtv video, edited it, then tried to render wav file, it locked up toaster. No avail. Then toaster wouldn't open. Restarted, then couldn't open project file. Restarted computer opened different project fine. Opened original project, still couldn't render. Now windows isn't acting properly.

Corrupt sotware??

After much coerrsion have dumped out project to tape, couldn't burn it and afraid I wouldn't get it open again.

djlithium
08-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Sounds like your C drive is not able to store reliably the VT-Edit temporary projects. This can happen when the disc is full, or has cluster errors.
Have you booted windows recently and has it done a scandisk operation on its own? If so, this may be your problem. You may want to consider doing a full scandisk operation from windows itself in the My Computer (right click drive of choice, look for tools, scandisk) and enable all options. If it's full, that also would be a problem as it may be having issues writting the undo stack as well which is what is used when the software crashes to return you to your last entry point in the undo stack when you open up VT-Edit.

Nandragon
08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks to Ametrace, problem now should be corrected. Bad stripe on the radO drive.

Iwe just added a full terabyte too!