PDA

View Full Version : RAMPANT quitting

Johnny
07-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Layout's quitting has gotten to the silly point this afternoon....

Working on my scene is like building a house of cards in a windstorm...I'm actually surprised when F9 doesn't result in a quit, and that is getting rarer and rarer! Sometimes, clicking in the Layout interface will cause a quit.

Seems key whether caustics are on or off, regardless of thread #

I've carefully tried to find the object or element which I thought might be causing the quits, by elmininating layers and object one by one until F9 rendered without quitting. And after making a change in that thing, quitting stopped for awhile; the F9 quits are back with a bloody vengeance.

I've trashed all prefs and freshly installed back to 7.5C in hopes of ridding the problem..no luck.

Any suggestions? I am pretty stuck here.

I have the sense that something is making Lightwave get all fussy and touchy, but I haven't solved the issue, though I'm working mighty hard to do so. Maybe my scene can get only so complex, beyond which point Lightwave can't resolve something? Some texture, some calculation, what have you. but all of my scenes' complexity is dwarfed by that in other peoples' projects I've seen discussed here...

At least my scene is built such that each major item in the scene is its own Object, and I can eliminate Objects and the layers within them, but I'm not sure this is a reliable way of finding out which particle could be causing the problem, or if LW is just having issues with my entire project.

J

BrianW
07-23-2004, 02:58 PM
My system specs are identical to yours. I used to have these exact same problems until I got rid of the Hub! I know you can disable the Hub but I moved it out the program directory all together and I haven't had one problem since I have gotten rid of the Hub. My advise, disable the Hub or just move it out of the program directory and all your woes should be over.
BrianW

Johnny
07-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BrianW
My system specs are identical to yours. I used to have these exact same problems until I got rid of the Hub! I know you can disable the Hub but I moved it out the program directory all together and I haven't had one problem since I have gotten rid of the Hub. My advise, disable the Hub or just move it out of the program directory and all your woes should be over.
BrianW

OK..the Hub does have a nefarious reputation...I'm about to attack surfaces I'm using on the hunch that they might be causing troubles. I'll ditch the hub, and if that doesn't make the quitting stop, I'll begin working on those surfaces.

thanks!

J

monovich
07-26-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm curious. When you disable the hub, what does your workflow look like for getting things between the programs efficiently? I also crash pretty much all the time. If I weren't so fond of crashing, I might even be resentful towards Newtek by now. I'm considering disabling the Hub, but when everything is working as it should, I can't imagine life without it.

gracias.

toby
07-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I kinda like working without it, but it depends on what you do most often. I do a lot of test renders and some animation, so I don't need it that much. I've hot-keyed "replace with object file" which brings in your updated models almost as easy as the hub.

I like to experiment with surfaces, so I don't like it when the hub updates the model, and sometimes going back to modeler through the hub wipes all your undo's.